• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2017 – )

pjm333

10 hours ago, RobertM said:

i made a Basque Cheesecake for a party.....

there is great sadness to this tale.  Let’s just leave the illusion of what was done right here....

0965834D-5A83-42BB-8145-AF96CCF2C4A8.thumb.jpeg.e8c5c2053ea328b7392de190bdaf04f0.jpeg

What make a cheesecake Basque-y?

6 hours ago, gfron1 said:

Yum!

That is me too! People are so afraid of their cheesecake cracking. Well, I like the drier texture with a little browning so never use a water bath. Sheesh people, if your cheesecake cracks, or otherwise has doesn't come out perfect, just eat it. It will be delicious. If you have uppity food snobs coming for dinner, slap a fruit coulis on it to fill the cracks.

@RobertM

Your Basque cheesecake looks delicious to me, and the way you describe it just make me want it more. Maybe heat was a weench high and it looks especially like too much bottom heat. I have recipes I like for cheesecake that call for high heat for the first 15 minutes and then reduce for the rest of the baking time. It it weren't for the obnoxious, but useful timer on my 1970's GE stove, I would have burnt up many, many things that turned out well with its insistent braying that goes on (as far as I know) forever until you turn it off. :)

• Like 2

> ^ . . ^ <

16 hours ago, RobertM said:

This cheesecake raises a lot, but the sides and top create a sweet, caramel crunch. It melds beautifully with the soft, cream cheese Center.....

sounds amazing 😮

No....the heat was perfect.....the cheesecake crust develops this delicious caramelized crust (and if it looks like it’s going to burn, you can just put a sheet of parchment paper over the top and that will protect it)

no....my tale is even worse than a burned cheesecake.....

when we were wrapping it up to carry to the party, my wife bumped it and it ended up pushed into my belly.....luckily I didn’t press it totally into me....we were able to salvage some of it.....even though it didn’t look like a cheesecake anymore.  

We put it into a bowl and served it as Cheesecake Pudding....and the entire thing was eaten.......

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, RobertM said:

No....the heat was perfect.....the cheesecake crust develops this delicious caramelized crust (and if it looks like it’s going to burn, you can just put a sheet of parchment paper over the top and that will protect it)

no....my tale is even worse than a burned cheesecake.....

when we were wrapping it up to carry to the party, my wife bumped it and it ended up pushed into my belly.....luckily I didn’t press it totally into me....we were able to salvage some of it.....even though it didn’t look like a cheesecake anymore.  

We put it into a bowl and served it as Cheesecake Pudding....and the entire thing was eaten.......

I don't know whether to 😀 or 😢

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, pjm333 said:

Heath Bar Oreo Crunch Ice Cream !

I always misread it as Health Bar then wonder in what universe are Oreos and ice cream healthy. :biggrin:  

Looks tasty!

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

I always misread it as Health Bar then wonder in what universe are Oreos and ice cream healthy. :biggrin:  

In my universe!

That's my story and I'm sticking to it... :D

• Like 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

1 minute ago, Tri2Cook said:

In my universe!

That's my story and I'm sticking to it... :D

But of course. I should’ve guessed.:D

• Haha 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

9 hours ago, Pete Fred said:

I had some surplus cream so made free-standing crème brûlée. This loop is hypnotic. Viewer discretion is advised.

1871928348_CrmeBrle.gif.a8ce16371cd3b102ab0d95275eee959a.gif

I want that. Right now.

5 hours ago, pjm333 said:

Heath Bar Oreo Crunch Ice Cream !

heath bar oreo crunch.jpg

That, too.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Next.....without wearing it.....lemon tarts with a meringue.....

which would probably make them lemon meingue tarts.....

extra tart, just as I like them......

13A2A8D9-70AF-448A-818C-EA3F542314FE.thumb.jpeg.f6d104a7a02c8f2ce4fa65a7c3fe8099.jpeg

Edited by RobertM (log)
  • Like 12

1 hour ago, RobertM said:

extra tart, just as I like them......

Would that not make them tart tarts?

• Haha 6

My 2004 eG Blog

Continuing to work my way through Yotam Ottolenghi's Sweet. This time Middle-Eastern millionaire's shortbread.

344514485_MiddleEasternMillionairesShortbread.thumb.jpg.c3ea6e91aa6e47895b293b1237ef04d0.jpg

It consists of a shortbread base, a layer of halva, and a tahini caramel topping. And very tasty it was, too. Quite sweet, but a nice mix of textures. However, there were issues.

It was quite difficult to cut cleanly, as you can see when not picking the prettiest and zooming out a little. 😉

Cut.thumb.jpg.abe8701f34ef54b48962d5a9f1cf4c9a.jpg

The base is quite dense and crumbly, so the knife can slip sideways when pressing down. Some decent-sized chunks broke loose. It doesn't help that the middle layer just sits loosely on top of the base and can move horizontally. All in all, it's just not pretty when portioned. The problem may lie in the shortbread which is baked fairly rapidly at too high a temperature for my liking, so I'd swap it for my regular one next time.

The middle layer is unusual, being simultaneously powdery and creamy. Weird, but nice. The issue with separating from the base is annoying, though.

But what I liked most was the tahini caramel. This was very good. Give it a go if you have some tahini on hand. (Ottolenghi uses the Israel/Lebanese type that's smooth and creamy.) It's definitely a surprising twist on a familiar element.

I'm not sure I'd agree with Mr Ottolenghi that the final product isn't "cloying". That halva and caramel combo is the very definition of "cloying" to me. But in a good way.

• Like 16

Two birthdays for my kiddos last week.

My oldest (17) requested a pavlova—it was my first. I made a lemon curd whipped cream to pair with strawberries, blueberries and raspberries. Everyone loved it!

D9CB0583-1243-4928-95CA-2274F1C5DA12.thumb.jpeg.28cd20ea26ca22eedf202fd5561d0f91.jpeg

My 7-year old requested a chocolate layer cake filled with salted caramel and frosted with “that chocolate buttercream that’s the kind that doesn’t taste like just butter” (i.e. American buttercream). I added some salted caramel buttercream and chocolate meringues dipped in dark chocolate and caramelized white chocolate. 

4F0A551F-7B82-4D7C-9AE9-7CFB20DA8558.thumb.jpeg.c75ae475cc819f67e44aacbf4e3ced0b.jpeg

We have 3 more birthdays coming up in the next 5 weeks. It’s my favorite time of the year! ;) 

• Like 19
  • Delicious 3

I'm trying some new huckleberry dishes this season, but nothing really unique.  We don't mess with the natural beauty of the wild huckleberry up here.  There are some reports that that the reason we're seeing bears coming into the towns in North Idaho and north of Spokane are because it's not an overly abundant crop this year.  That's true to some degree since it's one of their biggest sources of food right now.  Doesn't matter a lot to me since I don't venture up into the woods to pick them and face having to fend off bears.  I go to the same family stall at the Farmer's Market every year and I let them bother with the bears up around Priest Lake.  Well enough storytelling, this is a huckleberry tart, ice cream and compote.  I didn't have luck with a pastry crust base because I rolled it to thin and the weight of the berries made the poor little thing fall apart.  Not to worry I just made more with a shortbread crust.  A little thick I suppose but you can never beat the flavor of fresh wild huckleberries.

Huckleberry Tart.JPG

• Like 16
  • Delicious 1