• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2017 – )

pjm333

Nice.

I'm waiting for the Italian-style plums to  hit, where I live. They're usually only available for a couple of weeks, so I always try to bake a couple of plum tarts of some soft while they're around.

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Apricots were plentiful at the market yesterday. They were ok but nothing special, promising more than they delivered (like most fruit these days).

I made clafoutis...

1754838295_ApricotClafoutis.thumb.jpg.7e20a884dd002a61da4169284221ba77.jpg

Not much of a looker but, with better apricots, it would've been a winner. The 'recipe' was based on one by Guy Savoy. I preferred it next day, cold, when the flavours had married somewhat.

I also made Yotam Ottolenghi's Apricot and Almond Cake from Sweet...

1577589491_ApricotandAlmondCake2018_08_03.thumb.jpg.4bb3bab1347f4d80da3649fb53dc1e65.jpg

This was good. You make a cake batter, lay halved apricots on top and pour over an eggy-cinnamon topping. As the cake rises, the apricots and cinnamon-goo sink - a little too far in this case as the apricots were quite large (heavy). Next time I'll start at a higher heat and finish lower, and see if that sets the cake and captures the fruit better. Plums or peaches apparently work well.

• Like 12
  • Delicious 1

Made “Chocolate Chip Banana Nut Bread” in the CSO:

DSCN8482.JPG.16addec9847d8a81d96c223e89ca4bb5.JPG

DSCN8483.JPG.c8207292782785771a3becc083254be9.JPG

It turned out well.  I didn’t have any chocolate chips, so I used peanut butter ones.  Fantastic substitution.  @rotuts suggested it be called The Elvis.  I'm thinking of adding some bacon grease to The Elvis!

• Like 11

Just now, Kim Shook said:

Made “Chocolate Chip Banana Nut Bread” in the CSO:

It turned out well.  I didn’t have any chocolate chips, so I used peanut butter ones.  Fantastic substitution.  @rotuts suggested it be called The Elvis.  I'm thinking of adding some bacon grease to The Elvis!

Or maybe some bacon crumbles?

• Like 1
  • Delicious 1

Yotam Ottolenghi's Chocolate and Orange Monkey Bread.

1615102609_ChocolateandOrangeMonkeyBread.thumb.jpg.5922731a0a3e98d47f40458ff309a644.jpg

I halved the recipe and made it in a 1.4 L (6 cup) Bundt. I found the dough a little heavy; after kneading it didn't feel particularly "springy and soft". Not sure if that was my error or not, but I'd probably go with a lighter enriched (brioche) dough next time. The chocolate sauce worked well but needed more orangey oomph, so extra zest or a splash of extract might help. Overall, a bit of tweaking necessary for my tastes, but shows promise.

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

Was feelin nostalgic and made the cheesecake I used to make once a week at my dads restaurant in bite sized version. I had some issues with sticking and they came out rough looking. (Any suggestions to help with this would be appreciated--I used a mini cupcake pan) They are tasty though 🙂 Next time I would make a more translucent strawberry gel type topping. 

IMG_3770.JPG

Edited by B trei (log)
  • Like 11

@Kim Shook, if I knew that something like those Ghirardelli brownies could be had, I too would turn my nose up at lesser options. Fig Newtons and graham crackers, indeed. Humph.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

9 hours ago, Smithy said:

@Kim Shook, if I knew that something like those Ghirardelli brownies could be had, I too would turn my nose up at lesser options. Fig Newtons and graham crackers, indeed. Humph.

I believe Costco sells the mix.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

@Kim Shook

what pan did you use for those brownies in the CSO ?

time and temp ?

many thanks

It was an 8x6 glass dish.  I did them at 350F for probably an hour.  I would have let them go longer to get them like I like them, but the edges were in danger of burning.

• Like 2

Bite sized cheesecakes take 2... parchment collar makes it way cleaner 😁  Flavors are matcha cheesecake with white chocolate ganache or kaya topping which is a good flavor but needs something else like ginger. The ones in the back are swirled with Nutella and not convinced at all about that flavor combo, maybe if the cheesecake base had cocoa powder. Definately fun for an event but I will stick to my regular size cheesecake. 

IMG_3786.JPG

• Like 5

I took another run at the monkey bread, this time using a sweet dough enriched with eggs (from a Richard Bertinet recipe) plus additional orangeyness thanks to a bit of extract. Both worked extremely well.

1160765020_ChocolateandOrangeMonkeyBread.thumb.jpg.3ac5f30dcb87e18694b4a42269dd8405.jpg

582859868_ChocolateandOrangeMonkeyBread(Torn).thumb.jpg.e01244d71fda92ab1b69b2426c01aa0d.jpg

The texture was much lighter. Now it's like a tear-and-share chocolate orange doughnut. Boom!!

Below is a side by side of the two doughs... Ottolenghi (left) vs Bertinet (right)

1302643617_ChocolateandOrangeMonkeyTexture.thumb.png.6e5299b0da23ee13f1dd0fb22049eaeb.png

• Like 12