• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2017 – )

pjm333

2 hours ago, Shelby said:

I love RK treats and I can't make them.  They always suck.  Hard as hockey pucks.

I use this basic recipe, but add an extra cup or so of cereal and a whole lot more butter and marshmallow creme - I eyeball it but I would say maybe a couple extra ounces of fluff and maybe an ounce more of butter. They turn out super gooey and buttery every time, and keep well for at least a couple days if you wrap them well.

• Like 2

Patty

I cannot make Rice Krispy squares. Oh, I am capable of making wonderful ones. It's just when I do, I eat them. All of them. In short order. Little demons are addictive.

I made the whole wheat banana bread with chocolate chips from Half Baked Harvest. It was pretty good; I liked that it did not have any added sugar, as my bananas were REALLY ripe and thus very sweet on their own. But, God forgive me, I just don't like chocolate chips in banana bread. I like them in traditional chocolate chip uses. 

Other than that, the bread was excellent. I added walnuts, because I feel like banana bread just ought to have walnuts. Recipe here.

I also made a banana pudding. Bananas were WAY too sweet for that. And my recipe is not a terrifically sweet one. Ah, well.

• Like 5

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

My kids and I are all Rice Krispie Treat addicts.. like @kayb- I, too, would eat the whole batch if left alone.   (They should call them "cocaine krispies", IMHO.)   

Side note: some years ago, I recall being all ready to make a batch (or so I thought), and then discovered I was out of Rice Krispies....BUT I had some Fruit Loops... So I swapped cereals. The kids LOVED the Fruit Loop version.  I was so amused, I tried it with Lucky Charms, Cocoa Puffs, Fruity Pebbles and Cocoa Pebbles.  I have to say its much easier to eat the Pebbles, than the loops and puffs.  But they are all so darn tasty!    

• Like 6

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

All this talk of Rice Krispie treats reminds me that I've been wanting to try a simplified version of the Fuhgeddaboudits from Bouchon Bakery.

The recipe has you cut the Rice Krispie treats into little disks, top them with caramel and then enrobe them in milk chocolate.

I'm thinking I could just spread the caramel on top of the Rice Krispie treats right in the pan and then put the chocolate on top of that and cut them into squares.  Sound good?

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

@rotuts - RK treats are not something my mom ever made, so I came to them late in life (along with Sloppy Joes and most casseroles).  I love them.

@Shelby – I just use the recipe on the side of the box and it works fine.  I think the secret is you just have to keep mixing beyond when you think you should stop and you have to REALLY press it down.  I cover with wax paper and put another pan on top the same size and really lean on it.  And buy the small box until you really, really like RKs – otherwise you will be making treats forever.

@patris– oh, wow.  I will try browning the butter next time!  That sounds amazing.

@ChocoMom – like you, I’ve made RKTs out of all kinds of cereals – they are always popular with both kids and adults.  Cap’n Crunch regular and PB are big favorites around here.  Many years ago @deensiebat recommended a very grown up version from Momofuku: Sesame-Ginger Rice Krispie Treats. These were pretty incredible.

I didn’t make this, but I wish I had:

DSCN8221.JPG.7a289c2c880b6526ba9e2816ddae36a9.JPG

This was a gift from a friend.  He brought it back from some Italian bakery in Philadelphia.  Look at that crumb:

DSCN8222.JPG.0b55dd6d9c4e0f19a067d41c2722698a.JPG

If I could bake a pound cake like that, I’d die happy.  It was the best pound cake I’ve ever had.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

On 5/17/2018 at 11:59 AM, blue_dolphin said:

@Kim Shook, I've been meaning to try the Orange Creamsicle Cookies that @andiesenji linked to a few years back.  I know that @Toliver mentioned a few tweaks to the recipe and @Anna N has made a lime version.  Perhaps they can review the recipe you used.  I must say it uses a lot of liquid!  

I’m looking at the recipe that you linked and comparing it to the one that Mr. Kim brought home.  There are a number of differences that look substantial to me.  The recipe you linked uses twice the butter, 1 cup of sugar (half brown, half regular) instead of 1 1/2 c. of all white, no sour cream, no whipping cream, no baking powder and they add an egg, vanilla and another cup of white chocolate chips.  And the picture of those cookies looks NOTHING like what Mr. Kim ended up with.  I’m going to give that recipe a try soon. 

So, @Toliver and @Anna N – any ideas?  Here’s Mr. Kim's recipe and a link to the one that @blue_dolphin mentions.  Thanks to you all!

28 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

I’m looking at the recipe that you linked and comparing it to the one that Mr. Kim brought home.  There are a number of differences that look substantial to me.  The recipe you linked uses twice the butter, 1 cup of sugar (half brown, half regular) instead of 1 1/2 c. of all white, no sour cream, no whipping cream, no baking powder and they add an egg, vanilla and another cup of white chocolate chips.  And the picture of those cookies looks NOTHING like what Mr. Kim ended up with.  I’m going to give that recipe a try soon. 

So, @Toliver and @Anna N – any ideas?  Here’s Mr. Kim's recipe and a link to the one that @blue_dolphin mentions.  Thanks to you all!

The recipe I made (and tweaked) was the same recipe @blue_dolphin linked to. It was originally linked to by @andiesenji in the "Christmas Cookies Reux" thread here (click). I PM'd andie about some issues I had with the cookie (being too fragile) and her tweaking suggestions worked well.

Mr. Kim's version looks interesting. Kim, do you have a picture of the finished cookie? Because of the liquid/moisture in his recipe, are they more like cookie bars of a sort?

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

50 minutes ago, Toliver said:

The recipe I made (and tweaked) was the same recipe @blue_dolphin linked to. It was originally linked to by @andiesenji in the "Christmas Cookies Reux" thread here (click). I PM'd andie about some issues I had with the cookie (being too fragile) and her tweaking suggestions worked well.

Mr. Kim's version looks interesting. Kim, do you have a picture of the finished cookie? Because of the liquid/moisture in his recipe, are they more like cookie bars of a sort?

Thank you!  I'll try them with the "tweaks"!  Here is a picture of Mr. Kim's cookies - no way they could be bars - the things were flatter than pancakes.

DSCN8217.thumb.JPG.280a31cb1bdf7e77c9ca6c4b5a286263.JPG

3 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Thank you!  I'll try them with the "tweaks"!  Here is a picture of Mr. Kim's cookies - no way they could be bars - the things were flatter than pancakes.

DSCN8217.thumb.JPG.280a31cb1bdf7e77c9ca6c4b5a286263.JPG

@Kim Shook Thanks for posting the picture. Looking at the recipe, they have a lot of fat in them (between the butter, sour cream and whipping cream) so it's no wonder they spread.

The Creamsicle cookies look a lot more like regular chocolate chip cookies, except the chips are white chocolate chips.Please post how they turn out for you.

• Thanks 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

On 14/05/2018 at 10:36 PM, gfron1 said:

I don't often get to post my fun work since I'm usually in production mode, but I really enjoyed this dessert I made for a foraged food dinner in Napa recently. Acorn daquoise, prickly pear sorbet, torched Italian meringue, black currant pate de fruit, fresh mango, candied prickly pear.

NapaDessert.jpg.7830fe1086b5230a9e71a604ef42af7c.jpg

A really lovely looking dessert...

But please enlighten me: is an acorn dacquoise what I think it is?  A normal dacquoise, made with ground acorns?

I had no idea they were even edible.

4 hours ago, jmacnaughtan said:

But please enlighten me: is an acorn dacquoise what I think it is?  A normal dacquoise, made with ground acorns?

I had no idea they were even edible.

That's exactly what it is. I make a living off of serving that stuff :)

Old CW: throw your acorns (shelled) in a sack in the river and wash the tannins for about a week.

Less old CW: throw your acorns in a sack in the toilet tank and wash the tannins for a few days.

New CW: Open hotel pan acorns covered in water in chamber sealer and wash the tannins for a few minutes.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Les Misérable with matcha from Patisserie by Curley

20180519_160353.thumb.jpg.d7af8e01492f545a69deea7baafa9d5b.jpg

The sponge cake has 10g of matcha in it:

20180518_185318.thumb.jpg.b8ecc460354cf9067a31072da14987c6.jpg

We're still working on presentation skills, it tastes REALLY Good.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, gfron1 said:

That's exactly what it is. I make a living off of serving that stuff :)

Old CW: throw your acorns (shelled) in a sack in the river and wash the tannins for about a week.

Less old CW: throw your acorns in a sack in the toilet tank and wash the tannins for a few days.

New CW: Open hotel pan acorns covered in water in chamber sealer and wash the tannins for a few minutes.

That's pretty cool.  What do they taste like?

4 hours ago, jmacnaughtan said:

That's pretty cool.  What do they taste like?

Kinda nothing by the time you've removed the tannins. I think of it more as a protein source, but I do toast them and get some earthiness back into the flavor. My favorite brewery (Scratch Brewing in Ava IL) ferments them in shell and uses them in an acorn beer.which is really delicious.

• Like 1

cheesecake.JPG.dfbdeabd98ff5c5b4b12ed2bd9661393.JPG

I will freely admit this does not come up to the standard of work in this thread as far as looks goes, but I'll put it up against anyone's as far as taste is concerned. 

I have contended for ages I have the best cheesecake recipe in the world (it came from Southern Living, about 20-odd years ago, I think). Today, I took two quarts of fresh local strawberries; pureed one of them, and added the puree to the batter. That makes enough batter for my nine-inch pan and my six-inch pan, which is NOT a bad thing. While it was baking, I made a heavy simple syrup (1.5:1 sugar-water) infused with about half a cup of loosely packed mint leaves that I'd rolled between my palms to bruise them. Strained that, and capped and halved the other quart and let them sit in the fridge until the cheesecakes were done. Used the halves, along with some mint leaves I'd let sit in the same syrup, to decorate the tops.

The big one is in the freezer for this weekend's pot luck. The little one is in the fridge, having already had a wedge cut out of it....:blush:

Damn, it's good.

• Like 14

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com