• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2017 – )

pjm333

Part of my annual rhubarb celebration.  This time, what I call a "Rhubarb Pot Pie."  Poached rhubarb with a bit of flour, butter, sugar and tiny dash of cinnamon and nutmeg.  Then into individual crocks and topped with puff pastry.  Forgot the egg wash this time and did melted butter on the top, so it isn't as golden as I'd like, but it didn't affect the wonderful rhubarb flavor.  I grew up in Oregon in the Williamette Valley and we always celebrated the rhubarb season.  It fell out of favor a bit over the years, but I think, and hope, it's being rediscovered by cooks and bakers.

Rhubarb Pot Pie 2 (2).JPG

Rhubarb Pot Pie 2 (1).JPG

• Like 13

I adore rhubarb and so do my kids! Having it readily available was one of the best parts of moving back to the Midwest. This late spring is killing me... We're watching our rhubarb plant daily for the first cuttable stems. That potpie you made looks incredible!

I don’t often make dessert just for myself but tonight the apple I planned on eating was perhaps a little past its prime shall we say?   So I turned it into an apple crisp which perfectly hit the spot.

00B82ACE-69B5-4F8D-AEB4-4E5B21D0FCF0.thumb.jpeg.8760ba776964a4f84498f332672bf178.jpeg

• Like 13

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

10 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I don’t often make dessert just for myself but tonight the apple I planned on eating was perhaps a little past its prime shall we say?   So I turned it into an apple crisp which perfectly hit the spot.

00B82ACE-69B5-4F8D-AEB4-4E5B21D0FCF0.thumb.jpeg.8760ba776964a4f84498f332672bf178.jpeg

That, hands down, is my favourite dessert.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Anna N said:

That looks like a great save. Do you keep crumble topping in your freezer, or did you make a little just for this apple?

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

2 minutes ago, MelissaH said:

That looks like a great save. Do you keep crumble topping in your freezer, or did you make a little just for this apple?

I never thought of freezing the topping so as to have it on hand.  Great idea, Thanks!

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, MelissaH said:

When I was making such things more frequently for the family then I kept the crumble topping frozen. But this was a spur of the moment so I just made it up.

• Like 3

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

34 minutes ago, shain said:

Cheese blintzes with caramelized apples.

I’ll book my flight! xDxD

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

On 5/11/2018 at 2:32 PM, shain said:

Cheese blintzes with caramelized apples.

IMG_20180416_210744.thumb.jpg.1e584a941fc0d407ffedbf0bef5e2b8a.jpg

These  make my mouth water. I used to get them at IHOP with strawberry preserves. I have never tried to make them...but must, someday. Never thought of them with caramelized apples, which is one of my favorite ways to prepare apples.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

9 hours ago, kayb said:

I have never tried to make them...but must, someday. 

Those are dangerously easy to make and can be made ahead, then pan fried to heat (or cold from the fridge for late night snacking) 

• Like 1

~ Shai N.

1 minute ago, shain said:

Those are dangerously easy to make and can be made ahead, then pan fried to heat (or cold from the fridge for late night snacking) 

Shain,

You are venturing frighteningly close to enabler status.xD 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

My 2004 eG Blog

I don't often get to post my fun work since I'm usually in production mode, but I really enjoyed this dessert I made for a foraged food dinner in Napa recently. Acorn daquoise, prickly pear sorbet, torched Italian meringue, black currant pate de fruit, fresh mango, candied prickly pear.

NapaDessert.jpg.7830fe1086b5230a9e71a604ef42af7c.jpg

• Like 17

I did a bit of baking yesterday and today but alas, none if it is for us.  We are heading to southern Ontario tomorrow and I made focaccia fruit buns for one of John's sisters, currant scones and raisin scones for his mother and a batch of peanut butter chocolate chip cookies for his mother.  I love his mother.   No pictures because while it all tastes goods, the pictures are boring.:rolleyes:

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I did a bit of baking yesterday and today but alas, none if it is for us.  We are heading to southern Ontario tomorrow and I made focaccia fruit buns for one of John's sisters, currant scones and raisin scones for his mother and a batch of peanut butter chocolate chip cookies for his mother.  I love his mother.   No pictures because while it all tastes goods, the pictures are boring.:rolleyes:

Pictures of baking are never boring. :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

We had a ton of Rice Krispies for some reason, so I made Treats with almond extract:

DSCN8209.JPG.6f4b9833984ee89a572c1db0f22cda05.JPG

Mr. Kim came home last night with a recipe and ingredients and wanted to make these cookies. They are inspired by Creamsicles and that sounded good to me:

DSCN8217.thumb.JPG.b4f8a44fa6c910e628b34963bc0d77ca.JPG

(That in the back is our garden :laugh:).

While they tasted wonderful, these were a little problematic and need some tinkering. They baked up extremely flat, but soft, not crisp – actually, they were sticky. They became even stickier upon storing. I don’t think that the white chocolate chips add anything that a good glug of vanilla wouldn’t do just as well (and you wouldn’t get the little mini-mountains that the chips create). And next time, I would add more orange zest. But they really do taste good!  If anyone would like to go to the link and give some advice, I’d be thrilled!

• Like 10
  • Delicious 1

@Kim Shook, I've been meaning to try the Orange Creamsicle Cookies that @andiesenji linked to a few years back.  I know that @Toliver mentioned a few tweaks to the recipe and @Anna N has made a lime version.  Perhaps they can review the recipe you used.  I must say it uses a lot of liquid!  

I made a sort of Mexican version of the Olive Oil Shortbread with Rosemary and Chocolate Chunks from Smitten Kitchen Every Day.

IMG_7822.thumb.jpg.0d07f95dcd064acd35f0a399af0e0b87.jpg

I used Mexican chocolate, orange zest and added some ground de arbol & guajillo chile for a bit of heat.  

• Like 9