• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2017 – )

pjm333

1 hour ago, Kim Shook said:

Ghirardelli brownies with dulce de leche and sea salt.  I love this brownie mix.  I have tried and I honestly can’t make a better brownie.  So, I save my efforts for things that I CAN make better. 

Yes I can bake y'all under the table but some things in a mix (hello Jif) are just super easy, economical, and delicious.  Kroger does a brownie mix for 79cents! that I augment with all kinds of flavorings like grated tangerine zest, warm spices like cinnamon and cadomom, coffee - the list goes on. And baking at 375 makes drool worthy drop cookies. I bake my own bread and do most everything from scratch but....

• Like 2

6 hours ago, heidih said:

Yes I can bake y'all under the table

'Tis a bold statement, that... :P :D

• Haha 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

On 3/31/2018 at 5:32 PM, Pastrypastmidnight said:

My teens and I made 12 dozen egg macarons and 12 dozen cinnamon rolls as a fundraiser for their summer camp fees.  Then I made some bunny macs just for fun because they're so cute :).  Now I need a nap ;).

Eggs019.thumb.jpg.6a4cc5e6f1ed8a71a7d20d52ad0df504.jpg
CinnamonRolls004.thumb.jpg.aec4dbebd115701788533e6e41fccb7c.jpg

BunnyMacarons010.thumb.jpg.2175021caa118b4e0c036ec1318b4666.jpg

I was perusing through the thread, saw these and said "Wait! I've seen those somewhere before." Lol! It was Instagram... I've been drooling over your stuff for weeks now. Love the Lemon Pepper chocolates idea! I've always paired lemon and chocolate, but never thought of pepper in it. 

• Like 3

On 4/13/2018 at 8:34 PM, Sweet Impact Mama said:

I was perusing through the thread, saw these and said "Wait! I've seen those somewhere before." Lol! It was Instagram... I've been drooling over your stuff for weeks now. Love the Lemon Pepper chocolates idea! I've always paired lemon and chocolate, but never thought of pepper in it. 

You just made my whole night :) . Give the lemon and pepper a try—it’s really yummy!

So, funny thing. I just got access to the Ecole Chocolat Graduate forum and I’m binge-reading old posts and just read, like, 3 of yours and I totally thought, “Man! I like this girl. I think we’d be friends.”  Then I came over here and found your sweet comment :) . 

Edited by Pastrypastmidnight
Typos. Sheesh. (log)
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, Pastrypastmidnight said:

You just made my whole night :) . Give the lemon and pepper a try—it’s really yummy!

So, funny thing. I just got access to the Ecole Chocolat Graduate forum and I’m binge-reading old posts and just read, like, 3 of yours and I totally thought, “Man! I like this girl. I think we’d be friends.”  Then I came over here and found your sweet comment :) . 

Based on the whimsy you put in your creations, I think we just might. Welcome to the Ecole Chef's Table. :D I'm finding this group to be a bit more active and interesting! 

• Like 2

I'm currently working on making a decent chocolate orange cake, so here's the first try:

Chocolate orange cake

5ad45140849c4_ChocolateOrange2.thumb.jpg.d4b79708c4322658b8b7771def7e16a8.jpg

Medovik biscuit

Orange confit

Tanzanie 75% ganache

Orange curd

Chocolate crumbs

Chocolate chantilly

Candied orange

It's OK, but the chocolate chantilly started to split at the last minute :(

Edited by jmacnaughtan (log)
  • Like 12

Shortbread before and after second cut.

IMG_8943.thumb.JPG.d1aeb4c2d60b7e4a737a60b5a4016a7a.JPG

IMG_8944.thumb.JPG.547daf2d66fc80167f7e61e9cf1debfc.JPG

Flavour excellent - a bit thicker than ideal so I'm going to cut the recipe down a bit for the next trial.

• Like 14

I personally have never really seen the appeal of carrot cake - too suspiciously healthy-adjacent for my cake tastes, I think - but it is my Work Husband’s favourite, so I made the Momofuku carrot cake; layers of spiced carrot cake, liquid cheesecake, graham cracker buttercream, and white chocolate-coated shortbread crumble between every layer and on top.

And because I really can’t help myself gussying things up, even though it's definitely not part of the original recipe; carrot strips, steeped in lemon syrup to soften and then twisted into roses.

Home Husband got to lick the beaters and scavenge some leftover sugared carrot scraps, at least. :P

31206563_10156353004579122_3948647165047341056_o.thumb.jpg.cc11c1f21d5316c0bd85daf5f709695e.jpg

31131632_10156353004514122_7695369397610741760_o.thumb.jpg.bb826e977b46a7d8bd1d79ff53a3f451.jpg

• Like 15
  • Haha 1

We are up to our elbows in fresh blueberries here in MX....some the size of large marbles!

I made Blueberry Pie Bars that I found here, https://www.averiecooks.com/blueberry-pie-bars/#

There's a thin layer of Greek yogurt between the base and the berries.  The crumble and base were the same mixture.  We like crumbles so I've done many over pies and other desserts, but this recipe was first I encountered that didn't require blending the butter into the dry ingredients by hand or pastry cutter.  It simply had you melt the butter in the microwave and then whisk in sugar, then stir in flour.  Duh!

ogpTCwq8XjrnOv-p46PjWWq_OizcaNUHFQxhm1iFQoOZTVV1V1iH9YHEdCpI-mzUuwqEumQKzQhAgUMmCsIa4czoOFP_idy9gYdP6G89GW9LGmEsLokBKRXPjNc7MNJoEmgeMDr8ztik2ZmX_SRGCdnUc1TodBEz9L1evWx9zzDZvoe2nOnxPFul-DGZbizJIGZh43vNilFi8RK8roGZ_oSTiP-CJezb8Jvo6yT_jAcmlyktdpuSNruHLbGs6aytgLK0TNEF7MdVzpvK9mFbD_2y3idGzMnWDavSdA-zTWHBbERRrwWWmcun4UxabuTvxGpouo4EeIbWNybzAjlxrwSjOgFMk8XfyDg05qWbqYvwEba4vXqng1-0MfQhWYxHKMRIXs-5V7nKzBY48_kkzKEhCUkFx10Hjm6eGLyZ1yXmISbtmu_kyGrouV17CHNlGA3YZU4kwrO88N95KLpWp4k-64_iSyV9g6idh-Zk4F-BqlpdZ1-KmYSBPd0sWXQEvgeBQesQci9oli-basCckIQ8iTfDu_2-oBAN1s2aDOHVNZfJBCj4c-Du9Ty8OSUr5HzAARynTcn1CpTp2mPa2_JrYj1bPjVR3PErZMlV-gTy9Ew13dkVn--wOXy1hUXenuHVKh2Tgp4494g5GM6fUTdXmJsOAWdbMw=w1077-h605-no

• Like 9

Special for Mother's Day - my "Hot Mess" dessert truffle. (Head on over to my Instagram page for the story behind the name :D

Dark chocolate shell hides three layers: A gluten-free gingersnap cookie, then a spot of my Bourbon Salted Caramel, topped off with a milk chocolate almond praline ganache, made with Guittard's Fair Trade Eclipse Du Soleil 41% dark milk chocolate. 

Daylight Hot Mess.jpg

Hot Mess with Filter.jpg

Inside cut of Hot Mess.jpg

• Like 14