• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2017 – )

pjm333

15 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Pastrypastmidnight

"  cinnamon rolls "

I don't have that much of a sweet tooth , but I love cinnamon rolls and pecan sticky buns

your CR look outstanding , and I love the thick frosting on these.

My granddaughter thinks that cinnamon rolls are merely a vehicle for icing and the more icing the better. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, patris said:

My recent Danish pastry project reminded me that I really love making laminated doughs - almost as much as I love eating them. This week’s project: croissants and pain au chocolat with Joe Pastry’s recipe:

F3E79ED9-FFA4-476A-A2F3-9D4AB1D30A20.thumb.jpeg.b77fc71598d214157e9e66d81e825bf7.jpeg

Nice chocolaty looking Pain Chocolat! And lovely pottery.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, pjm333 said:

Napoleon & Easter cake

Beautiful.  Please put one of those napoleons aside for me. xD

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 7:52 AM, Anna N said:

Beautiful.  Please put one of those napoleons aside for me. xD

I'd be delighted just to stand by and wait for the trimmings. Gorgeous work as always.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

Deb will not eat bananas if they are ripe. I joke with her that they have to be hard enough that you could run them over with the car, without bruising them. Once they start to ripen, if I am not going to eat them, they go in the freezer. Once I accumulate a total of 4, I make banana bread. Today was such a day.

HC

IMG_0083.thumb.JPG.ae169fa4836cccf898a8280322622a49.JPG

• Like 7

On 3/26/2018 at 2:18 AM, shain said:

The second half that sitting in my freezer is filled with poppy. Maybe I'll bake it today. 

I tend to (slightly)  prefer the poppy, as it has a more unique flavor. 

Have you had poppyseed with noodles? 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, oli said:

Have you had poppyseed with noodles? 

I haven't made it this year, but I have a dish of pasta in milk, malt, brown sugar and poppy that I love. 20161126_203150.thumb.jpg.bee8050ebe0725badd1c12f431d0984e.jpg

There's also a more traditional dish of noodles on poppy seeds and orange zest that I like to make occasionally. 

• Like 2

~ Shai N.

15 hours ago, RobertM said:

Poppyseed with noodles?  Please, do tell.....

Well, my mom used to make a plate with either poppyseed (Makos teszta) or ground walnuts. This nuts are mixed with sugar and mixed with the cooked noodles. I preferred the walnut version and this was not a side dish or a dessert dish, it was the main dish - can you imagine? 

Hungarian dishes are quite varied and at the same time quite simple, based on the reason people used their imagination on what was readily available namely poatoes, poppies, eggs, flour, sour cream, chicken, paprika, and pork.

Edited by oli (log)
  • Like 3

We often had such sweet dishes for dinner as part of our Austro-Hungarian background. Platschinken (crepes) were a favorite. Usually with powdered sugar or marmalade. Generally on the always meatless fridays.

• Like 2

On 4/6/2018 at 9:42 AM, heidih said:

We often had such sweet dishes for dinner as part of our Austro-Hungarian background. Platschinken (crepes) were a favorite. Usually with powdered sugar or marmalade. Generally on the always meatless fridays.

Our palacsinta was with jam and walnuts, my favourite is walnuts and apricot jam. Also very tasty is a bunch made with cottage cheese and sugar baked in the oven with cream.

Edited by oli (log)
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, jmacnaughtan said:

That is excellent.  Please tell me it had the same, pleasantly stodgy/chewy crumb you get in the small, shop-bought ones.

Pleasantly stodgy/chewy would describe it well!

• Like 2

how do you achieve that velvety texture on your mousse products? Stunning as always :x

• Like 1

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett