• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2017 – )

pjm333

15 minutes ago, pjm333 said:

cakewalk, 

Here is my recipe..

Macaroons              300 degree oven / convection preferably 

165 grams 10X / confectionery sugar 

145 grams almond flour

1/2 cup egg whites

3/4 cup sugar

color

Sift sugar and almond flour, beat whites soft peak & add sugar slowly beat whites stiff peak. Add desired color, fold in dry ingredients in 2 stages then mix with spatula until mixture when lifted flows back into bowl. Pipe onto flexipan if you have, when piping there can be a small point/ nipple on top but should disappear within a couple of seconds but if the point stays there you did not mix the macaroon mixture enough. I bang the sheet pan on the table 2 times then let them rest for 15 minutes.  Convection ovens make better Macaroons but conventional will obviously work, I have a rotating oven at work and they take 8 to 9 minutes. When I touch the tops of the Macaroon the bottom/ feet give just a little, just play with the recipe oven temp etc. 

Patrick

Thanks very much, my recipe is similar but the devil is in the details, of course. And your oven is a bit hotter. (I don't have convection.)

My main question: just let them rest for 15 minutes after piping, not until the tops harden a bit? I've always read to let them rest until the tops will no longer stick to your fingers if you touch them lightly. That can often take up to an hour, sometimes more. Does that mess up the meringue? I bake at home, but I always notice the difference in the feet between home baked macarons and the professional ones, and I've always wondered about that. Thanks, will keep playing around.

I wanted to play around with some old bananas, so I made a tart.  I think I need to work on a new style though, all my recent desserts look alike...

5a77670d68c41_BananaandGoldenGrahams.thumb.jpg.1b3c0b1b0b231761038b5f7ff3dd2858.jpg

Banana, hazelnut and Golden Grahams tart

Hazelnut and Golden Grahams crunch

Banana bread

Banana whipped pastry cream

Decoration, etc.

Tasty, but lacking something.  Some citrus or passion fruit would have brightened it up a little.

• Like 16
  • Delicious 1

F1760164-FF10-48A5-B345-0A4B320ADFF9.thumb.jpeg.f098c0afb84d4a90f86200033e5e3f9f.jpeg

Classic Brownies from The Artful Baker for my granddaughter to share with her colleagues. This is the second batch she has tasted and declared “the best brownies ever”.  

• Like 14
  • Delicious 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Joy the Baker's Banana Rum Cake with Brown Butter Frosting from Joy the Baker Cookbook (her first one). 

Wow, this was good. Joy never fails me, I don't know why I don't cook her entire book, she consistently makes the best stuff.

This was made like a traditional banana bread but with rum, then frosted with a brown butter frosting and more rum. Bananas, brown butter and rum and more rum... can't go wrong with that. :D

The two 9 inch cakes are placed on top of each other and sprinkled with nuts. I didn't have enough frosting to coat the sides, but I think it looks better naked anyways.

It is very moist, sweet and delicious, the flavors work so well together. I'm not a huge banana-flavored-anything, but I love it here. The banana flavor is slight and it keeps the cake moist and dense.

Love it, 5 stars, definitely a repeater. Looks so pretty too!

DB927CBF-D901-4CD5-A3FE-202E9C2C9295.JPG.4970b3955a19c0bdae99ea7225fa0e67.JPG

87D8F0E7-E8D3-4C12-B575-D779386E813A.JPG.7f5266728693b7c90bdf4a2b092dd213.JPG

• Like 13

@pjm333 I believe I may have gained five pounds by just looking at those.

The dulce de leche cookies look something like alfajores. I made those a few years back for Christmas cookies. A lot of work, but quite tasty. 

I'd love to know more about the pine nut tarts, as I have pine nuts in the freezer.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Kayb,

Yes they are alfajores..The pine nut tart is just a pine nut pastry cream baked in a raw tart shell. I make like a pine nut praline and add it to the milk for the pastry cream along with toasted pine nuts to steep then strain. Thanks !

Patrick..

You do beautiful things with pound cake, @shain. This variant looks even prettier than the original!

• Like 4

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Seeing all of the creations posted here over the past 6 months or so has been a very pleasant way to pass a very cold Sunday afternoon.  As always I am stunned by the talent of those posting here, also inspired to try to develop my own baking.

While time for cooking has been limited until recently I really wanted to ensure that for once we would consume all of the apples produced by our two small trees last autumn.  In previous years we have tried to store some but without a great deal of success.  As I have written before I hope one day to be in a position to create an apple dessert that looks like an apple.  I’ve made various attempts using half spheres but nothing anywhere near as impressive as @rarerollingobject‘s lemons.  A new apple shaped silicone mould arrived via Amazon too late for this season’s harvest but I look forward to testing that later in 2018.

Most of this year’s desserts have been layered.  This first had too much biscuit and not enough fruit:

F0BD0044-9368-4A79-9112-F8DCC714BB0B.thumb.jpeg.ad04d09466d79dde33bc37ac9a53a40b.jpeg

The top is Ivoire chocolate ganache with chopped dark chocolate mixed through.

Variations on this next attempt tasted good.  The génoise was replaced with a pistachio dacquois, the top is white chocolate with marscapone (if not it is white chocolate mixed with a bavarois cream, I can’t remember which iteration this was)!

C9EEB558-C848-42EA-82AA-30FD74BEC319.thumb.jpeg.7b5202c11000c32dc48c2918a07bc0f4.jpeg

An insufficient amount of pectin in the purée gave a sloppy look to the finished product but it tasted fine.

This final version had little inserts of raw apple set in apple juice and frozen in what was bought as a silicon chocolate mould.  I have had no real success in attempting to make moulder chocolates in silicon so the mounds are now usually employed to freeze things in.  Top layer is passion fruit purée set with gelatine.  The middle is half bavarois and half apple purée.  I did try to freeze the raw apple in calvados on one attempt but without success.

60FB7062-5D10-405D-B270-FC692FFC11CA.thumb.jpeg.99626fec3083dd5e2871cd3d5ece1201.jpeg

Hopefully I will have more time to experiment this year.

• Like 11

A couple of days late with posting. Birthday. (edit:) This is a Yerushalmi kugel, made with caramel and freshly made noodles, flavored with black pepper and ginger, then baked all night long. It got a strange look due to me using somewhat too large and too many noodles. But I decided that I like the look of it, so I left it upright instead of flipping it.

IMG_20180210_115007_1.thumb.jpg.eccb2a402a9db9add4aa8675fa51b652.jpgIMG_20180210_120243.thumb.jpg.284f336337b7a2f6bd7701996722fd61.jpg

Almost forgot the candle.

IMG_20180210_115139.thumb.jpg.c934ea087f6210c51d9d967decfa13d9.jpg

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 9
  • Delicious 1

~ Shai N.

1 hour ago, cakewalk said:

Well, it certainly does look like a Birthday Keter! (Crown). Is that caramelized like a Yerushalmi Kugel? Or is that chocolate? I never heard of a birthday kugel, but hey, it's your birthday, do what you want. (Mazal tov!)

Thanks, that's a Yerushalmi kugel (I'll edit the post to mention this). I never heard of birthday kugel before either, but making one for my birthday has become a tradition. 

Edited by shain (log)

~ Shai N.

That's the best kind of "traditional." :)

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Making a dairyless dark chocolate pot de creme for Johnnybird.  I'm going to put it into cups and top with some Amerana cherries and some faux whipped cream.

• Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

14 minutes ago, suzilightning said:

Making a dairyless dark chocolate pot de creme for Johnnybird.  I'm going to put it into cups and top with some Amerana cherries and some faux whipped cream.

That sounds interesting.  How do you make the pot de creme?

36 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

That sounds interesting.  How do you make the pot de creme?

First I put 8 oz of dark chocolate(pastilles or chips or chopped block) the top of a double boiler with heavily simmering water with 1/4 cup of heated nutmilk into which I have dissolved 1 Tbsp of decaf instant coffee.  Cover and let sit about 10 minutes.  I separate 6 eggs then beat the  yolks with 1/4 cup sugar and a pinch of salt over simmering water until they double in bulk.   I whip the whites  to medium stiff peaks.  Incorporate the melted chocolate into the egg yolks SLOWLY then whisk in about 1/3 of the whites to lighten and fold the remaining whites in.

It's a variation on the recipe from Fannie Farmer.

Edited by suzilightning (log)
  • Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites