• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2017 – )

pjm333

I've often made Vanilla Dreams from King Arthur Flour, they're such good cookies, but I had never tried the Chocolate Dreams until now. They are very good. I made a half-recipe, which made a lot of cookies. Great flavor and texture, very easy to put together. 

Chocolate dreams.jpg

• Like 8

7 hours ago, Smokeydoke said:

I can't believe the price, they were $2 each at the bakery.

They're more than that here (NYC), more like $3 each. The choice of flavors is much greater than anything I'd ever do, but still a ridiculous amount of money. 

She's a fortunate woman. I can remember it being an annual event in Memphis, the first day Dinstuhl's (local well-known candymaker) had their first chocolate covered strawberries. Line would be out the door and all the way down the block. And I would be in it.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

@Kim Shook

( not to go off topic too much )

I have two bunt pans now :

Bundt.thumb.jpg.0c0ae91623538900b4848e66cd5cc792.jpg

I have no idea hoe this happened . possibly the MR talking ?

L Target , Nordicware    thin and light

R Cuisinart , much heavier, Amazon    

Ill take the Target back.

• Haha 2

Banana pudding like my Mama used to make, with boiled custard cooked in the double boiler. I over beat the egg whites for the meringue, so it isn't very pretty, but I'm surely looking forward to the taste.

20180121_082246.thumb.jpg.ac2da4f732bc9c6aaea889d8e06d93ce.jpg20180121_084417.thumb.jpg.1a310aa1f139901ecc01155128ad219e.jpg

• Like 10

Don't ask. Eat it.

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

@kayb

wow

does that bring back memories for me !

did you use 

'Nilla wafers ?

nice

although it looks like Ham Slices 

Im guessing that's your Egg whites !

I used Jackson's wafers. And yes, those are my overbeaten egg whites. I stuck them in the Kitchenaid and let it go while I was doing something else. Should have paid more attention.

Don't ask. Eat it.

Wonder if one can make homemade Nilla wafers? I would think there has to be a recipe somewhere....

I have, in a pinch, done them with graham crackers.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

2 minutes ago, kayb said:

Wonder if one can make homemade Nilla wafers? I would think there has to be a recipe somewhere....

I have, in a pinch, done them with graham crackers.

This is the sort of thing that was right up Bravetart's alley: http://sweets.seriouseats.com/2012/01/bravetart-homemade-nilla-wafers.html

I do miss that blog. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Shelby said:

Hmmmm....I do have graham crackers......

Paula Deen's "Not Yo' Mama's Banana Pudding" uses Pepperidge Farms Chessmen cookies. 

edited for spelling

Edited by Toliver (log)
  • Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

On 1/21/2018 at 3:27 PM, Shelby said:

OMG I think it looks delicious.  I have bananas...but no nilla wafers.  Sigh.  

Honestly, I think you could do it with almost any plain cooky.  I do the Paula Deen one @Toliver linked above.  It is our favorite.

Edited by Kim Shook (log)
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Honestly, I think you could do it with almost any plain cooky.  I do the Paula Deen one @Toliver linked above.  It is our favorite.

I had the stuff to make that one (with vanilla wafers vs Chessmen), but decided at the last minute I wanted the old fashioned kind. Finished it off today. I may or may not have eaten it twice a day since Sunday.

• Haha 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

1 hour ago, shain said:

Topfenknödel.

IMG_20180111_201624.thumb.jpg.e0a12f67af1c988aa3992b8dfa4a64d7.jpg

Can you say a little more about how these are made?  What kind of cheese you use, etc.  Google showed me several recipes and most were boiled and white-looking.  These look much more appealing,  like they were either baked or fried.

• Like 2

@blue_dolphin Those are made of quark cheese, eggs, a little flour, sugar and vanilla. They are boiled then rolled in sugar and buttery breadcrumbs. I guess I just toasted the crumbs darker than is traditional, hence the color.

Actually my parents used to call them by the Hungarian name of túrógombóc (which I was earlier too lazy to check how to spell), images for those looks darker as well.

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

~ Shai N.

Wow!

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog