• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2017 – )

pjm333

As a born and bred Hong Konger, if I’m cookie stamping a thing - I’m using my Chinese moon cake molds.

I also added a fair kick of five spice to the glaze mix and a lick of the sweet syrup from a jar of Chinese stem ginger; these are soft gingerbread tiles with rum butter glaze; Europe via HK.

(From ‘Sweet’, by Ottolenghi and Goh.

78E6DA24-B5A8-4EF4-9076-0B6A4700A6ED.thumb.jpeg.bdecf1e64dcf6519c1af0c4d8f77abb7.jpeg

• Like 17

I had a little bit of the puff pastry that @Alleguede  had made for me so I could make sausage rolls. I didn’t want to waste even a gram of it so today I pulled it out and made these cinnamon-sugar palmiers for my granddaughter. 

1CCFB225-2473-437E-BFBD-C4A13AB2DAFE.thumb.jpeg.6c2f21b0775be21d88a23526b4b350ae.jpeg

Since I have learned that my oven lies about when it has reached temperature and I depend on the oven thermometer to tell the truth my problems with puff pastry seem to have disappeared.  Thanks to everyone who helped me on that one. 

• Like 17

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

13 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Those look amazing.  I have puff pastry envy.

They were so light I knew that they couldn’t possibly be hiding any calories at all so I ate four of them. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 8

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Cobbled together a sweet for tomorrow morning ladies NY gathering but stuck with no car, hyperactive tangerine tree and the only fat in house being olive oil - I tried a simple cake. Nice. I do not bake much but if done agin I would up the citrus and dial back sugar.  http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/melissa-darabian/orange-olive-oil-cake-recipe-2042483

IMG_0445.JPG

IMG_0446 (1).JPG

• Like 12

Xmas goodies this year included gluten free sugar cookies:

DSCN7741.JPG.cffb00e2578e5c0b5a617592d3cbf46c.JPG

I wasn’t impressed, but my niece and friend who needed them loved them.

Peanut butter cookies, peanut brittle and lemon chess tarts:

DSCN7742.thumb.JPG.c225e498ca5f850272a1f19773d2aa3f.JPG

Cinnamon pecans:

DSCN7743.thumb.JPG.d0871ec0478dd3b0f1d1485e1802e5de.JPG

Sugar cookies:

DSCN7744.JPG.697be34d709db26690d32a3835aea53c.JPG

Sponge candy and Nyåkers gingersnaps, which are the best gingersnaps I’ve ever had:

DSCN7745.JPG.d9d93ed007bdcdce2e47db10550e7e60.JPG

Some candy gifts and turtle candies on the bottom left:

DSCN7746.JPG.bb0173c1f54841571791e7a826e3b9a5.JPG

Happy Accident Candy:

5a485f0407a5f_happyaccidentcandy.jpg.a69c7ee71304a64f7a314caf72a599f0.jpg

This is made from chopped milk chocolate and the crumbs of the broken up sponge candy.  I'm feeling pretty good about that sheen on my chocolate.  

Reeses Cup fudge and Aunt San’s fudge:

fudge.jpg.dc6301ac413aefb9ade9a80a9a82e0f3.jpg

Aunt San was my great-aunt and her fudge is just that creamy milk chocolate, evaporated milk and marshmallow type.  I don't like breakable fudge - only creamy.

• Like 17

On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 5:18 PM, Tri2Cook said:

Oh  Kim...That all looks so delicious, I hope you've had a wonderful holiday season.

Edited by caroled
Can't get rid of the above quote bar. (log)
  • Like 1

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

@Ann_T Those look phenomenal! As someone who used to make donuts in retail grocery, I know that they have a relatively short life.  How long will these last for you, or do you freeze them? 

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

20 hours ago, caroled said:

@Ann_T Those look phenomenal! As someone who used to make donuts in retail grocery, I know that they have a relatively short life.  How long will these last for you, or do you freeze them? 

Caroled, they don't keep well.  I haven't tried freezing but I would certainly give that a try.  The recipe made 15 donuts and the little donut holes.  And I gave 5 plus some of the donut holes to my neighbour.  

There were still  two left this morning and I warmed  them up in the CSO.  Still not as good as they are when fresh. 

• Like 1

@Ann_T I currently work retail bakery and one perk is we are allowed a free dozen a week. I usually don't get them, that would be too much temptation to have around. But the leftovers do make a tasty bread pudding. 

• Like 5

Tonight's the night before King's day, the day when all the children im Catalunya get their presents (instead of Christmas). And they also get a slice of the "Coca de Llavaneres" - puff pastry, filled with cinnamon and orange flavoured English cream, sprinkled with sugar and pine nuts ...

WP_20180105_14_30_39_Pro.jpg

• Like 19

39 minutes ago, shain said:

Bread pudding with bananas, coconut ,hazelnut, raisins and rum.

Save me some. I’ll be right over. xD

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My 2004 eG Blog

10 hours ago, Duvel said:

Tonight's the night before King's day, the day when all the children im Catalunya get their presents (instead of Christmas). And they also get a slice of the "Coca de Llavaneres" - puff pastry, filled with cinnamon and orange flavoured English cream, sprinkled with sugar and pine nuts ...

WP_20180105_14_30_39_Pro.jpg

Duvel, this looks wonderful!  I MUST Do a recipe search, right.....NOW!

unless you care to share.....

Pralines roses, the pink pralines of Lyon; almonds and hazelnuts slowly caramelised and crystallized in sugar and orange blossom water.

I’m going to crush them slightly and fold into buttery brioche dough to make Brioche Aux Pralines Roses. Not tomorrow though, it’s going to be 100F here..:/

C16BB4B7-F121-4E2A-A039-2A845E8854E6.thumb.jpeg.3065fea3cac226883fd88afc802c526e.jpeg

• Like 11

11 hours ago, RobertM said:

Duvel, this looks wonderful!  I MUST Do a recipe search, right.....NOW!

unless you care to share.....

Thanks.

Its pretty straightforward: make a cream ("crema Catalana") from 500 ml milk, boiled with orange zest, a cinnamon stick, 100 g of sugar, cooled a bit and then thickened with 6-7 tempered egg yolks mixed with tablespoon cornflour. Reheat until set and let cool. Stirr occasionally to retain the creamy texture.

Line a baking sheet with puff pastry, brush a thick layer of cream over it and top with another large sheet of puff pastry. Brush with an egg yolk mixed with milk for glazing. Sprinkle with sugar and pine nuts. Bake at 200 oC (preheated) for 20-25 min, until golden brown. If it browns too fast, cover with aluminium foil.

Let cool cool completely and serve cut into small squares.

Edited by Duvel (log)

4 hours ago, rarerollingobject said:

Not tomorrow though, it’s going to be 100F here..:/

Wanna trade? It's -40 here and I'm not feeling the urge to bake anything so I'm fine with it being warm. :D

• Like 4

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

39 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

Wanna trade? It's -40 here and I'm not feeling the urge to bake anything so I'm fine with it being warm. :D

I’ve never experienced cold like that, I would probably die of shock..the coldest weather I’ve ever been in is 0 Celsius or 32 F! I was freezing cold in Calgary and Golden in June! 

No, I’ll just stick to lying on the couch in my underwear drinking gin and tonics in the A/C, thanks.

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

13 hours ago, Duvel said:

Thanks.

Its pretty straightforward: make a cream ("crema Catalana") from 500 ml milk, boiled with orange zest, a cinnamon stick, 100 g of sugar, cooled a bit and then thickened with 6-7 tempered egg yolks mixed with tablespoon cornflour. Reheat until set and let cool. Stirr occasionally to retain the creamy texture.

Line a baking sheet with puff pastry, brush a thick layer of cream over it and top with another large sheet of puff pastry. Brush with an egg yolk mixed with milk for glazing. Sprinkle with sugar and pine nuts. Bake at 200 oC (preheated) for 20-25 min, until golden brown. If it browns too fast, cover with aluminium foil.

Let cool cool completely and serve cut into small squares.

Thank You so much!  

23 hours ago, rarerollingobject said:

Pralines roses, the pink pralines of Lyon; almonds and hazelnuts slowly caramelised and crystallized in sugar and orange blossom water.

I’m going to crush them slightly and fold into buttery brioche dough to make Brioche Aux Pralines Roses. Not tomorrow though, it’s going to be 100F here..:/

Those look good :)

If you're doing a Saint Genix, the trick is to incorporate far more pralines than you think the dough can possibly hold.