• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2017 – )

pjm333

1 hour ago, rarerollingobject said:

@Tri2Cook - Well, to my eye it’s because you have something as resolute and brutalist in form as a solid, tall cylinder of cold-looking concrete-like cake, you want to contrast it with something more organic and whimsical in form and colour.

Otherwise you have a plain pylon of cake that calls for SOME decoration; flowers would look wrong, ribbons or sprinkles similarly incongruous, spiky chocolate shards too similarly cold. I think the height and drama and organic curves of a sail are just about the perfect decoration to contrast and set off the concrete-yness of the cake beneath it.

Might be fun to play around with moss, glass or rust effects.  If, that is, you're up for making another concrete cake :)

16 hours ago, rarerollingobject said:

@Tri2Cook - Well, to my eye it’s because you have something as resolute and brutalist in form as a solid, tall cylinder of cold-looking concrete-like cake, you want to contrast it with something more organic and whimsical in form and colour.

Otherwise you have a plain pylon of cake that calls for SOME decoration; flowers would look wrong, ribbons or sprinkles similarly incongruous, spiky chocolate shards too similarly cold. I think the height and drama and organic curves of a sail are just about the perfect decoration to contrast and set off the concrete-yness of the cake beneath it.

Although, I was going to paint the whole sail in metallic copper lustre dust instead of marbling it, but changed my mind at the last minute. 

That makes sense. Thanks! And it really wasn't a criticism, that's a beautiful cake.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

My office had its Christmas Party today, and part of its organisational tradition is a Christmas decoration competition. I participated by constructing an entirely edible fireplace outside my office; everything edible, gingerbread fireplace bricks (detailed into further bricks with a flathead screwdriver of course), edible pulled sugar (isomalt) flames in the fireplace, edible photo frame, edible cookie ornaments, edible snow flakes, edible chocolate baubles and glitter. Was a hit. Am tired.

BE623716-4E31-47AB-B01A-13C4D35209A6.thumb.jpeg.75367a8f73fa8841dab9078da2bd64f6.jpeg

B006E418-444C-4381-B2DD-B5D5A426F6CA.thumb.jpeg.e94b8f4d8bade6ab14d9da92a3db5aee.jpeg

353B79D0-8FB1-48CA-86DA-F578B21360FB.thumb.jpeg.73529a73d985518d81851cd2e5327243.jpeg

DDB3C360-00AD-4021-B278-8E8436D81C4F.thumb.jpeg.0ef736451c369bba234be7c09004aa19.jpeg

C0B188BE-6A91-4CC9-BB31-791B48F9CDF2.thumb.jpeg.8e980b253d71fd0b55f2c80e6839e8f0.jpeg

Edited by rarerollingobject (log)
  • Like 22

20 minutes ago, rarerollingobject said:

I participated by constructing an entirely edible fireplace outside my office

Just amazing. What talent and patience you have.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

This is a very hurried set of chocolates to sell for the holidays. I was trying to get anything out before it was too late and did pretty well (Thanks EZ Temper!)

From left to right:

Lavender honey
Beet, fennel pollen

Orange, kumquat vanilla

Double shot espresso (espresso caramel, Ethiopian bean ganache)

Passion fruit caramel

choco.thumb.jpg.d63c7b8fca36de73bd7dfd54ff0411d9.jpg

• Like 19
  • Delicious 1

6 minutes ago, heidih said:

i was intrigued by the Dorie Greenspann 3 ingredient cookies but only have walnuts, Maybe toast first? Any experience?  https://food52.com/blog/18962-these-genius-3-ingredient-cookies-will-be-ready-before-the-oven-beeps

I don’t claim to know much about baking but this quote from the recipe linked to makes me suspect that walnuts would not serve as a replacement for the sliced almonds:

It’s not entirely clear how these three ingredients become a cookie, but between the handy glue of egg and sugar, the architectural advantages of sliced almonds, and the crispability of all of the above, they do.”

My bolding. 

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Just now, heidih said:

Well I'm stuck here uth only walnuts so shall experiment - though maybe just meringues with a btouch of toasted nut makes more sense

If you experiment let us know how it works. I have the almonds so I’m very tempted!  

My 2004 eG Blog

If you read the comments someone else attempted it with walnuts which they chopped up in the food processor and apparently it worked!

My 2004 eG Blog