• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2017 – )

pjm333

38 minutes ago, rarerollingobject said:

Probably the most rustic-looking thing I’ve ever made, but I’m sure they taste OK; fig, Armagnac and pistachio frangipane tartlets. And a rhubarb version, for the fig-haters. 

Or a fig version, for the rhubarb-haters.

Or, and pardon my blatant greed, a couple of each for the fig and rhubarb non-hater... aka: me. :D

• Haha 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Basbousa, double baked so it's crisp on the rim, but still juicy inside.

Flavored with coconut, rose geranium and lemon verbena, lemon juice, orange zest, rose extract. Served with yogurt on the side.

IMG_20171021_203743.thumb.jpg.eb829152cfd4dd6ddcdc6f051eb5375f.jpg

• Like 10

~ Shai N.

1 hour ago, shain said:

Basbousa, double baked so it's crisp on the rim, but still juicy inside.

Flavored with coconut, rose geranium and lemon verbena, lemon juice, orange zest, rose extract. Served with yogurt on the side.

IMG_20171021_203743.thumb.jpg.eb829152cfd4dd6ddcdc6f051eb5375f.jpg

Those look great. (Although twice baked is a new one for me.) I think basboosa deserves its own thread. I cannot even begin to count how many different (and I mean really different) recipes I have seen for basboosa. I haven't made it in years, and I've made recipes I didn't like at all and some that I loved. (But foolishly I never kept track.) They go from having no eggs to 6 or 7 eggs in a recipe, with milk, without milk, maybe with yogurt, maybe without, completely different flavorings, etc. It's amazing. How did you make yours? 

On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 6:48 AM, Shelby said:

So this is probably not a revelation to anyone but me.  

Grape pie.

I have had some green and two different kinds of purple grapes in the fridge for a while now.  I snack on them, but I wasn't making much of a dent and I didn't want them to go to waste.  My mother-in-law makes a raisin pie (which is one of the few raisin products that I like)...which led me to wonder if I could make a grape pie.  Google led me to a lot of pies made with Concord grapes but not many with green and whatever you call the purple ones that I had.  So I winged it a bit.  I put the grapes in a pot along with a cup of sugar, 1/4 Grand Marnier, 1/4 of honey and tsp. of nutmeg.  Brought it to a slow boil and then added salt and cornstarch to thicken.  Dumped it in the crust and baked it.  OMG.  I am in love.

59edf1c36dc38_IMG_36092.JPG.6b1e0cb5af7404255048a118b724d3ec.JPG

59edf1c5baad2_IMG_36102.jpg.3d3473182b87f1d8661650b6a9e9bea3.jpg

59edf1c7e61d4_IMG_36112.jpg.46b082c330923a4a376ce8e91cac4135.jpg

IMG_3612.JPG.58963a3a5544a15695f7af956253f8f6.JPG

This is such a great idea.  I don't like eating grapes when they are no longer crisp, and I tend to let them work their way to the back of the fridge and go bad.  Thanks for the idea.

Up to now, I've been trying to use up suboptimal grapes in curried chicken salad and baked into focaccia (with caramelized onions, herbs and feta) but new ideas are much appreciated. :)

• Like 1

20 hours ago, cakewalk said:

Those look great. (Although twice baked is a new one for me.) I think basboosa deserves its own thread. I cannot even begin to count how many different (and I mean really different) recipes I have seen for basboosa. I haven't made it in years, and I've made recipes I didn't like at all and some that I loved. (But foolishly I never kept track.) They go from having no eggs to 6 or 7 eggs in a recipe, with milk, without milk, maybe with yogurt, maybe without, completely different flavorings, etc. It's amazing. How did you make yours? 

Thanks. Baking twice is a technique I used often with baked goods that has a moist interior and that I desire to be crisp on the outside. The idea is to bake until set, then let it chill before baking again at with convection fan. Right after baking, the steam from the inner part will degrade the crispness. So by chilling and re-baking the outer side gets crisp again while the inside does not heat enough to dry out or cause more steam. It works well for muffins, breads etc.  

There are indeed many types of basbousa, from cakey to halva like.

• Like 4

~ Shai N.

Zaletti. (Italian cornmeal cookies.) I've been trying different recipes for this cookie for a long time now. Some I've liked, others not so much. I keep looking for just one more recipe to try. I think this is it, although I still want to play around with it a little. This recipe was different than the others in that it used egg yolks only rather than whole eggs and it used baker's ammonia for leavening. The dough is rather dry and crumbly (by design), and I think I'd add just a bit more butter next time I make these. Also they're supposed to be made with currants but I didn't have any so I subbed raisins; currants would work much better. But the baker's ammonia really gives these the crunch that I like.  

Zaletti2.jpg

• Like 9

Today I baked a dozen Oatmeal Raisin Cookies and every time the furnace kicks on I get a whiff of cookies (which are now in the freezer).  So tempting since I haven't had dinner yet, which is why they're in the freezer.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I've realised that, while I've got a decent set, I only ever really use my trusty 10mm plain piping tip.  

So yesterday I broke out the St Honoré.

5a02c8cec9458_Chocolatetart.thumb.jpg.2d70bf9b82619e84bb92fb48b839811c.jpg

Chocolate tart

Sablé breton, cedar pine nut, orange and chocolate base.

Chocolate chantilly

Candied orange

Toasted cedar pine nuts

Edited by jmacnaughtan (log)
  • Like 19
  • Delicious 1

A tiny little wedding cake for a chef colleague and his bride.  I wanted them to get off to an extra-sweet start, since the holidays are almost upon us and she probably won't see much of him until January :(  Gluten free chocolate cake, chocolate caramel ganache, white chocolate vanilla butter cream, fondant flowers.  I used the Steve's GF cake flour, and was very happy with the results - scraps were a tiny bit crumbly, but we'll call that "tender" and be happy that it seemed like "real" cake.

IMG_7029.thumb.JPG.338a929292ae20a9e1d3f322e7489ece.JPGIMG_7037.thumb.JPG.f0d4bd9e0d5e526c4c191ab41b5bda2f.JPG

• Like 19

1 hour ago, rarerollingobject said:

Persian Love Cake, with ginger, cinnamon and cardamom caramel mud cake, black pepper syrup, freeze-dried raspberries, toasted pistachios, rosewater and orgeat mascarpone buttercream, crushed pomegranate meringue, dried rose petals, and gold-leafed figs.

23244045_10155865319319122_5128301920799350982_n.thumb.jpg.5e357bec1b55079bbff6cde038556bd9.jpg 

Why is it called a love cake?  Even with me at the table, that's a lot of cake for two people...

40 minutes ago, jmacnaughtan said:

Why is it called a love cake?  Even with me at the table, that's a lot of cake for two people...

Are you flirting with me? ;)

The apocryphal story goes:  a Persian woman was madly in love with a prince. To have him fall in love with her, she baked him a cake, filled with sweet cardamom, pistachios and rose petals. The cake was said to have magical love powers. Etc, and so on and so forth.

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, rarerollingobject said:

Are you flirting with me? ;)

The apocryphal story goes:  a Persian woman was madly in love with a prince. To have him fall in love with her, she baked him a cake, filled with sweet cardamom, pistachios and rose petals. The cake was said to have magical love powers. Etc, and so on and so forth.

I can imagine that working. 

But surely, that's a dangerous thing to bring into the office...

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, rarerollingobject said:

Persian Love Cake, with ginger, cinnamon and cardamom caramel mud cake, black pepper syrup, freeze-dried raspberries, toasted pistachios, rosewater and orgeat mascarpone buttercream, crushed pomegranate meringue, dried rose petals, and gold-leafed figs.

23244045_10155865319319122_5128301920799350982_n.thumb.jpg.5e357bec1b55079bbff6cde038556bd9.jpg 

Looking at such beautiful cake I always wonder how long does it take to prepare it @rarerollingobject

Kasia Warsaw/Poland

www.home-madepatchwork.com

follow me on Facebook and Instagram

Just out of the oven.
Two pastries. (puff pastry sheets) I found the box in the freezer, 3 months past its use-by date.

5a07ba4401414_ScreenShot2017-11-11at5_33_16PM.thumb.png.925c53a24ebff3645b8babf09cb1f1b0.png

One is filled only with the very sweet 
Dried Amarena cherries in syrup. $9.61 for this tub.

5a07ba0d4e2a0_ScreenShot2017-11-11at5_35_55PM.png.a3220f4a81ad476137d42dfea26b59ac.png

And the other filled with cream cheese, finely chopped pecans and King Arthur Flour's cinnamon baking mix.

And how they look cut.

5a07ba09042ff_ScreenShot2017-11-11at6_16_58PM.thumb.png.9875ec6344a58563d2bb6a20c4777e81.png

• Like 15

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Found a container of egg whites in the freezer, had completely forgotten about them. Time for angel food cake in a Pullman loaf pan.

I think I have shots here of the batter, the upside-down, and crumb shots. (But I'm really not sure.)

angelfood1.thumb.jpg.b110fc673034ab926ea31e277fcc9856.jpg

close up.jpg

crumbshot.jpg

upside down.jpg

• Like 13