• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2017 – )

pjm333

6 hours ago, kayb said:

Re: Raisins.

I don't loathe them. Given the choice, I'll avoid them.

I can only quote Dorothy Parker: "This was not plain terrible. This was fancy terrible. This was terrible with raisins in it."

Oh my god I love this quote! I know a lot of Dorothy Parker quotes but never heard this one.

If you read the NYT book review you know the feature profiling the reading habits of various public figures who are asked what literati they would invite to a dinner party. No one ever mentions her, but she would be at the top of my list. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Katie Meadow said:

No one ever mentions her, but she would be at the top of my list. 

I hope you wouldn’t be making martinis. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Well, two martinis, or maybe three. The problem is after two I tend to lose count, if not consciousness. Well, my husband is the martini tender in our house, so if there's a fourth Dorothy will be his problem. I'll be watching from under the table.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

14 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

If you read the NYT book review you know the feature profiling the reading habits of various public figures who are asked what literati they would invite to a dinner party. No one ever mentions her, but she would be at the top of my list. 

A good choice, as long as you have a strong bladder. Supposedly back in the Algonquin days nobody wanted to leave the table, for fear of the maliciously perfect things she'd say behind your back. 

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

@lindag 

same here

w a PeanutButter and jelly sandwich or two.

for a while there was Hot Soup in the lunch pail. Campbell's of course

but those thermo's didn't last long of no more soup

I gather these days

one is not allowed to bring PB&J  sandwiches to school  

a bit sad  , that.

Even into his 60s my husband loved a box of raisins in his lunch. And if I have to take the raisins out for some baking I can’t resist at least one handful. So I’m awfully glad there are raisin haters else they might be as expensive as halibut. 

• Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Cakes for my niece's 1st birthday party yesterday.  Rainbow themed, if you can't tell ;)

the "good" cake:

IMG_6907.thumb.JPG.53712ea29e9c44695e3cdf3bb8bcb751.JPG

IMG_6903.thumb.JPG.de3227c016757c5e5c5e7fb8b53acf27.JPG

I was hoping that painting onto white fondant would be faster than kneading six different colors into it, but I think I was wrong.  It was vibrant, at least!

The smash cake:

Everybody hand-pipes white chocolate sprinkles in six different colors, right?

IMG_6911.thumb.JPG.a72bcee5312a7cbf33a0a25bd35e7261.JPG

V 1,  Cake 0

IMG_6931.thumb.JPG.672189217ffc6da77becf4277f49afd1.JPG

• Like 11
  • Haha 4

Things I've made lately;

Strawberry mascarpone meringue trifle; which involved four layers of chewy coconut meringue, six punnets of fresh strawberries, an entire bag of freeze-dried strawberries, 1.5kg of mascarpone, 15 eggs, an entire jar of vanilla bean paste, a whole lotta sugar, and a trifle dish. Office morning teas; I rule em. 

IMG_9948.thumb.JPG.534323fc9b7fffcbb7c81fe83b1aa5b2.JPG

IMG_9949.thumb.JPG.d6dbc2b86909b241d291c6a0066bf126.JPG

Vanilla eclairs, also for office people:

IMG_9488.thumb.JPG.662161114cb9798eb5da496a68325a22.JPG

Concrete cake, which is just layers of vanilla butter cake and French raspberry buttercream. I gifted it to my friend, look how happy she is! :x

IMG_9910.thumb.JPG.cebbeab32673c925fae2b5574196b70a.JPG

IMG_9909.thumb.JPG.f220752d5b12b5839a246dfe36b0636f.JPG

IMG_9922.thumb.JPG.eeb8e74dcaa855114a64d996839945e8.JPG

• Like 19

Well, my days of artistic expression are on hold until I get more of the home interior done. So, until then, I am going with the get-er-done kind of baking. Friday, it was chocolate chip cookies. Today, it was apple pie.

IMG_2102.JPG

• Like 8

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

Honey cake. 

IMG_20171011_215550.thumb.jpg.dbd41bd3558f8fc86f79d23afa74f339.jpgIMG_20171011_215920.thumb.jpg.ce7f4e32bfc529afdfc0ac146f723ee3.jpg

Due to recent posts on the forum I was getting worried that there is likely an exas of undesired raisins accumulating across the world, and so made my small contribution by including some in the cake.

Preference for raisins aside, I am very happy with this latest iteration of the cake. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 5

~ Shai N.

This seems to be the only style cake I ever make anymore O.o. I really wish these brides had a sense of adventure. 

But, I have a couple of fun things coming up that will help get some variety.  This was almond with raspberries and ganache.

3D729A9B-BAC0-4709-B103-422C9A2BBC23.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, RWood said:

This seems to be the only style cake I ever make anymore O.o. I really wish these brides had a sense of adventure. 

But, I have a couple of fun things coming up that will help get some variety.  This was almond with raspberries and ganache.

3D729A9B-BAC0-4709-B103-422C9A2BBC23.jpeg

Oh how absolutely humdrum! <yawn>

• Like 1
  • Haha 2