• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2017 – )

pjm333

It ended up to be a busy baking weekend! "Ring ding" cake for my brother who asked for a "ding dong" cake - we never called them that as kids, we grew up with ring dings! And an end of summer peach cake from Cooks Illustrated- with roasted peaches inside and more macerated peaches on top. Thanks for looking!

Ruth

ringdingcake.jpg

peachcake.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 1

@ElsieD 

big WOW on the peach pie.

I grew up in CA and we had many fruit trees

some peach and nectarine.

My mother preferred to work in her garden rather than spend too much time in the kitchen

that being said , my sister and I always had a hot breakfast before going to school

and we had a HomeCooked Dinner every night

many times the Beans in the Chili were not cooked 

but what can you do ?

My mother did bake bread

and made only it seems Apple Pie

I went to visit a friend in Oregon

and his mother Baked

right in the ripe Peach Season 

so we had two pies :

Ome perfectly ripe Peach and the other Perfectly ripe Cherries

from their own Trees 

Sound Asleep are Your ?

good

the crust was make with locally rendered 

Pork fat

IE LARD

I died then and there 

did I mention home make vanilla ice cream ?

Im on the waiting list for wherever you make

lard crusts    and not the hydrogenated variety.

• Like 5

A recently bought a few kilos of hazelnut praline paste to play with, and started by making this entremet, adapted from a recipe by Antonio Bachour. The glaze needs work, but otherwise it turned out fine. Components include hazelnut praline crisp, creme "brulee" (a stovetop version set with a little agar and gelatin), and a soft almond cake set in milk chocolate/hazelnut praline mousse, and glazed with hazelnut praline/milk chocolate mirror glaze. Bachour's recipe for the almond cake is great, probably my favorite of the versions I've tried. It's made with almond paste like a pain de gênes, and lightened with some sour cream.

2.jpg

1.jpg

• Like 17

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

Mr. Kim’s Birthday Celebration cake - Michael Ruhlman’s Angel Food Cake w/ toffee & whipped cream:

DSCN7450.JPG.8cc9bd2bc2e076a385e891886cc8f9b0.JPG

DSCN7457.JPG.c32c3c20c16be46d3261588fdd23e9fc.JPG

And something I’m calling “Eton Mess Cheesecake Dessert”:

DSCN7477.JPG.7ff8e72799505951d5507f9551b09a59.JPG

DSCN7484.JPG.20a6643de7cee965e0a5ab44a53e9941.JPG

I made this for a welcome back dinner at our church for our priest.  This was a bit of a cheat.  I wanted the basic flavors of the Eton Mess that I make, but in a potluck-type of dish.  So, I went with a sturdy cheesecake bottom layer.  But, I used Philadelphia Cream Cheese Cheesecake filling:$!  I mixed that with roasted strawberries and Cool Whip (:$ again – sturdier than whipped cream) as the bottom layer.  I boiled down the resulting strawberry liquid to a thick syrup and spread that over the cheesecake layer.  More Cool Whip on top, a drizzle of my lemon curd and then meringues.  They scraped the dish clean!

• Like 10

9 hours ago, Patrick S said:

A recently bought a few kilos of hazelnut praline paste to play with, and started by making this entremet, adapted from a recipe by Antonio Bachour. The glaze needs work, but otherwise it turned out fine. Components include hazelnut praline crisp, creme "brulee" (a stovetop version set with a little agar and gelatin), and a soft almond cake set in milk chocolate/hazelnut praline mousse, and glazed with hazelnut praline/milk chocolate mirror glaze. Bachour's recipe for the almond cake is great, probably my favorite of the versions I've tried. It's made with almond paste like a pain de gênes, and lightened with some sour cream.

2.jpg

1.jpg

Looks fantastic to me! If you don't mind a couple questions.. How did you assemble that? Crisp on bottom, mousse over it, almond cake on top with more mousse, freezer, setting creme brulee onto different mold and then adding it, together with last set of mousse? I've done some entremets, and issue with few was that I had small gaps between the layers. 

Additionally, would you be willing and able to send recipes for the almond cake and mousse you used? Super grateful fan of your work!

43 minutes ago, EsaK said:

How did you assemble that?

I'm not him but the usual method is to assemble it in reverse order in the mold. Then when you unmold it the, usually sturdy layer that supports everything, top becomes the bottom and you just glaze the entire thing.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

On 9/3/2017 at 8:32 PM, pastrygirl said:

Maybe something like Birds Custard Powder?  A U.K. product, but I know I've seen it in the U.S. 

Birds, I have not seen here, but then again I have not actively look for it.  It is one of the three products I will have to pick up when I'm in BC.

11 hours ago, EsaK said:

Looks fantastic to me! If you don't mind a couple questions.. How did you assemble that? Crisp on bottom, mousse over it, almond cake on top with more mousse, freezer, setting creme brulee onto different mold and then adding it, together with last set of mousse? I've done some entremets, and issue with few was that I had small gaps between the layers. 

Additionally, would you be willing and able to send recipes for the almond cake and mousse you used? Super grateful fan of your work!

Thank you so much, EsaK!

1. Tri2Cook is of course correct about the method of assembly. I set a ring mold on a sheet, wrapping the bottom with plastic wrap. The inside of the ring mold is lined with an acetate strip, preferably one exactly the same height as the ring mold. A little mousse is piped into the bottom, and drawn about half way up the sides with an icing spatula. The whole mold then goes into the freezer for a few. Then the next layer (preprepared and frozen) is nestled down into the mouse, twisted just a little so that it is snug and no gaps remain. Another later of mousse is piped and spread, and the the next layer (preprepared and frozen) is pushed, twisted in nice and snug. Repeat with more mousse, and then the base layer. Cover and freeze the whole mold overnight. Unmold and invert right before glazing.

2. The almond cake recipe, from one of Bachour's Valrhona demo videos, is as follows:

Almond paste 170g

Unsalted butter 170g

Sugar 150g

1 vanilla bean or equivalent

Large eggs 3

Flour 128g

Baking powder 3g

Pinch of salt

Sour cream 155g

Cream almond paste, butter and sugar with paddle until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time. Add vanilla. Add dry ingredients. Fold in sour cream. Bake in ring mold at 325F/165C for 15 minutes

3. I'm not sure where the mousse recipe came from (it's in a notebook), but it is as follows:

200g milk chocolate

130g Hazelnut praline paste

5g silver gelatin sheets, or 4.2g gold gelatin sheets, bloomed in cold water

100g whole milk

450g heavy cream, whipped to soft peaks

Melt chocolate and praline over double boiler. Heat milk to almost boiling, and add drained gelatin to milk and combine. Combine gelatin and milk mixture to chocolate mixture and combine well. When the mixture has cooled to 113F/45C, fold in the whipped cream until uniform and no streaks remain. I think for my last recipe I used a 1.5x quantity of this. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

2 hours ago, Patrick S said:

I'm not sure where the mousse recipe came from (it's in a notebook), but it is as follows:

200g milk chocolate

100g whole milk

Melt chocolate and praline over double boiler. Heat milk to almost boiling, and add drained gelatin to milk and combine. Combine gelatin and milk mixture to chocolate mixture and combine well. When the mixture has cooled to 113F/45C, fold in the whipped cream until uniform and no streaks remain. I think for my last recipe I used a 1.5x quantity of this. 

It does look really nice and I'm going to steal... err... borrow that mousse recipe. It sounds tasty. Thanks!

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

7 hours ago, Patrick S said:

3. I'm not sure where the mousse recipe came from (it's in a notebook), but it is as follows:

200g milk chocolate

100g whole milk

Thanks so much Patrick for these! I hadn't for some reason ever ran into or thought about the inversion technique here, but it sure makes sense. By the way, do you see any harm in assembling the entremet, storing it in the freezer for a longer time, and then taking it out for glazing when needed? I guess it should be fine with the gelatins and agars etc in the mousse and brulee. And while I'm rolling out the questions.. any tricks on how to get that nice and thick glaze? 

I recently bought a lot of nuts, including hazelnuts. Almond paste seems like quite a standard product in terms of recipes. But hazelnut praline paste, am I right to assume 100g nuts into caramel from 62g sugar, 17g water roughly does the job, blitzed into a paste (so this doesn't include any chocolate)? 

11 hours ago, EsaK said:

Thanks so much Patrick for these! I hadn't for some reason ever ran into or thought about the inversion technique here, but it sure makes sense. By the way, do you see any harm in assembling the entremet, storing it in the freezer for a longer time, and then taking it out for glazing when needed? I guess it should be fine with the gelatins and agars etc in the mousse and brulee. And while I'm rolling out the questions.. any tricks on how to get that nice and thick glaze? 

I recently bought a lot of nuts, including hazelnuts. Almond paste seems like quite a standard product in terms of recipes. But hazelnut praline paste, am I right to assume 100g nuts into caramel from 62g sugar, 17g water roughly does the job, blitzed into a paste (so this doesn't include any chocolate)? 

Yes, the entremet will hold in the freezer just fine as long as you cover it well. The glaze is a standard milk chocolate mirror glaze of the type you can find all over the internet, with 100g of hazelnut praline paste added. In terms of making your own nut paste - you could make one that is delicious for sure, but you would have a hard time making one that is smooth enough to use in a mirror glaze - it just won't grind down fine enough, no matter how long you grind it, and you would end up with a bunch of tiny but noticable lumps in your glaze, which would ruin the mirror effect. At least, I was never able to get a really fine paste in the past when I tried to make it at home with a food processor, which is why I use a commercial (Callebuat) product now. A homemade paste would probably be just fine in the mousse or other components, however, where this tiny difference in texture wouldn't matter as much.

Edited by Patrick S
kant spel gud (log)

When I was growing up I hated gingerbread. I suspect because it was about as good as it got in terms of dessert and was perhaps served far too often.  But I have grown into it. And last night the cupboard was bare of anything that might finish off a dinner. Today I was reminded of the book  How to Eat Supper (Here).  I remembered that I owned the book and that there was a recipe for gingerbread in it. So I roused myself from my torpor and made it.  Don't remember the last time I baked for myself. IMG_1649.thumb.JPG.f13d0833939c465163787b20141af633.JPG

Waiting for it to cool so I can try it. It certainly smelled awfully good while it was  baking. 

• Like 13
  • Delicious 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

My step-sister's wedding cake. Her theme was Mediterreanean (she's Greek), so olive branches for most of the decorations. 

Took two years, but I'm glad its over and done. Cake is almond with ganache and raspberries. 

IMG_4413.JPG

• Like 13
  • Delicious 1

How’s that for a Monday morning office cake; layers of pistachio dacquoise/meringue, white chocolate mousse, yuzu curd, and thick, fudgy pistachio ganache. Decorated with pistachio and smoked salt praline, cornflowers, and gold leaf.

And because last week a whole bunch of office punters complained that they missed out on cake...I made two of them.

IMG_8684.thumb.JPG.e72cdbd25dfccff590932419a69b428d.JPG

IMG_8683.thumb.JPG.6ec84adbd7f89642c83efeb36619cc8d.JPG

• Like 17

The day you move on to another employer, they'll lose half their staff. :P

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

3 hours ago, chromedome said:

The day you move on to another employer, they'll lose half their staff. :P

With a view from the office like that who would ever move? 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog