• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2017 – )

pjm333

I have also "invented" another simple cake which breaks all the "cake-baking rules"  but it really works. 

It turns out like one of the semi-sponge "tea cakes" but without all the beating egg whites separately and so on.  

This ORANGE CAKE  does not do the usual "creaming butter and sugar together"  thing.  In fact it is more like one of the "dump cakes"  but with a difference.   When I say it  "FOAMS UP"  Believe me it will run over the sides of the bowl unless you use a much larger one than usual.  

ORANGE CAKE

You will need a LARGE bowl at least 4 quarts, or use a 5 Quart mixer bowl.

Preheat oven to 350°F.

Prepare a deep 10” cake pan  or two  9 x 5  loaf pans - grease and line with parchment.

1 Can frozen orange juice concentrate - thawed.

2 Tablespoons  grated orange zest.

1 8 ounce package cream cheese - softened.

1/2 Cup heavy cream

1 stick butter, melted and cooled till just warm  if you use unsalted,  add 1/2 teaspoon of salt to the dry ingredients.

4 Eggs, beaten

In another bowl, measure the dry ingredients and blend with a whisk

2 Cups  self-rising flour  (I used Odlums  Irish self-raising flour because I prefer it)  

1/3 Cup sugar - I used raw sugar, use what  you like

1 Rounded Teaspoon baking soda - make sure there are no lumps

1 1/2 Teaspoon baking powder

Directions: 

Add the first SIX ingredients to the  large mixing bowl.  Beat until smooth, if there are a few tiny lumps of cream cheese, that is okay.

Add half the dry ingredients and beat well  - THE BATTER IS GOING TO FOAM UP.  KEEP BEATING

ADD THE REMAINING INGREDIENTS, 1/4 CUP AT A TIME  until all has been blended.  

Pour immediately into prepared pans, filling to within 3/4 inch from the top edge and place on center rack in oven.

Set timer for 55 minutes.

Check internal temperature with a probe thermometer - it should be 205° F.   if not, bake an additional 5-10 minutes.

Place pan on cooling rack and allow to cool for 30 minutes then turn cake out and allow to cool for an additional two hours to fully set.

I like it plain but if you wish you can “dress” it with melted orange marmalade.  

5977c20b47d5d_Orangecake1.thumb.png.84561b92470d56783804266171f07f1e.png

5977c231568e6_Orangecake2.png.9f08332a970541102138312d2c0aa896.png

5977c25f800e5_Orangecake3.thumb.png.7945decad0bd972947456cd6c44b782b.png

• Like 17

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

10 hours ago, Franci said:

Pretty straightforward - after a bit of back and forth. Will have to give it a try very soon.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rarerollingobject said:

It's a long story as to why. Don't ask. But I made a Day of the Dead cake. And yes, I made the buttercream flowers.

IMG_7681.thumb.JPG.36e378df288920e3887e3c7966dcb557.JPG

What would you flavour a Day of the Dead cake with?

Please don't say Mezcal.

Feather-light chocolate whip with aquafaba - RecipeGullet

There wouldn't be anything special in this dessert if it wasn't for its main ingredient. It was aquafaba - i.e. the liquid which is left after straining chickpeas from a tin.

DSC_0168a.jpg

Edited by Kasia (log)
  • Like 6

Kasia Warsaw/Poland

www.home-madepatchwork.com

follow me on Facebook and Instagram

White chocolate -key lime cookies.....for my daughter's pal.  He loves key lime EVERYTHING...and,cookies and baking, but doesn't have a lot of time to do it.  After work, he heads over to our house, and has helped her remove the old engine, and install a new one into her Subaru.  So....we feed him.     These are so delicious ...I am having a REALLY hard time sharing...

IMG_1893.JPG

• Like 8

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

A little note on the key lime cookies (above)....they taste waaaayyyy better the second day.  The oil from the lime zest must migrate through and intensify the cookie dough flavor overnight. Tangy/tart flavor is fantastic! 

• Like 4

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

We had company for a few days and I made @Norm Matthews Pineapple Upside Down Cake:

DSCN7185.JPG.528c362bade35dce6082e66119786def.JPG

DSCN7237.JPG.539f327695921e5ef63a38ed3842d420.JPG

It was really delicious!  Everyone loved this and it served as dessert, snacks and also a breakfast sweet the whole time they were here!  Thanks for the recipe, Norm!

An old HS friend came for dinner on his way through town.  I did a Kentucky Brown Sugar Poundcake w/ peaches and plums:

DSCN7398.JPG.b2f64bd8d6fc2bb01881c6eb0f961ca6.JPG

DSCN7404.JPG.1b1817d73791e4e573e24c4fee91937d.JPG

We have been getting wonderful stone fruit.  Except for apricots.  I haven’t had a good apricot since I was a little girl.

Cinnamon Toast Cupcakes for a birthday celebration at Mr. Kim’s office:

DSCN7422.JPG.29dd46c3d87f61ea52a7572e354c0b77.JPG

They turned out just ok.  They sunk down a bit in the cups.  And I tried a new butter/marshmallow crème frosting that wasn’t what I hoped for.  I was kind of expecting an easy 7 Minute frosting-type.  Too much butter for me.

• Like 13
  • Delicious 1

37 minutes ago, Norm Matthews said:

Wow @Kim Shook Yours looks nicer than mine did and everything else looks really delicious too.

How nice!  Thank you!  I cannot tell you how glad I am that I saw your post about this.  It was such a hit with everyone who tasted it.  I will be making this again and again!  

• Like 1

I've never done a great job at crimping the edges of pie crust, but then again in this case that didn't matter.  A huckleberry pie in a cast iron skillet...IMG_2118.JPG

IMG_2120.JPG

IMG_2122.JPG

• Like 13

Frosted pistachio experiments, for a cake I'm making for work tomorrow. All flavours involve first crystallizing the roasted pistachios in melted sugar and water, but the flavours I've made today include:

* Cardamom, white pepper and fleur de sel

* Freeze-dried apricot powder and Murray River soft pink salt flakes 

* Orange blossom water, star anise, sea salt and a dash of espelette pepper

* Sichuan pepper, freeze-dried strawberry powder and crushed black salt

* Melted down pralines de roses from Lyon, almond kernel extract and fleur de sel 

* Kaffir lime leaf, lemongrass, ground dried Kashmiri chilli and crystallised, dried fish sauce granules for the salt (that I made myself by drying fish sauce in the sun and waiting for the neighbours to complain about the smell)

And my personal favourite - cinnamon, ginger, cubeb pepper and smoked salt.

IMG_7879.thumb.JPG.a18116398398c823525e7365a2db34fd.JPG

• Like 12

I haven't added any new huckleberry dishes to my annual roster for a few years, but created a tart yesterday that will now find its place on the annual roster. I've been making an apple tart for years in a shortbread crust with a smoked cheddar pastry cream.  So that's where this one started, sort of.

I added some toasted, ground almonds to the shortbread dough.  (Wished I would have used hazelnuts as they are more specific to the Pacific Northwest).  I par-baked the tart shell about 15 minutes.

The huckleberry compote is a blend of fresh, (can't use frozen in this one), huckleberries, sugar, melted butter, a hint of cinnamon and nutmeg, few drops of lemon juice, a bit of flour and a sprinkling of cornstarch.  Sometimes I add a bit of red wine and a dash of balsamic vinegar to make a sauce for game meats.

Then I just winged it for the streusel topping--brown sugar, butter, flour and rolled oats.  Baked for about 30 minutes at 400.  I honestly think this one might be better than the rustic huckleberry pie in the cast iron skillet.

IMG_2135.JPGIMG_2138.JPG

• Like 7

Made a similar version of this not long ago, but improved the flavours this time; Monday office cake; a three layer pistachio and Cara Cara orange dacquoise, filled with blackberry curd, crystallised pistachios, freeze-dried pineapple and almond mascarpone meringue cream, topped with dehydrated pineapple flowers brushed in yuzu syrup. 

IMG_3796.PNG.c037043c393f1fae25a034ff778780a7.PNG

• Like 8

2 hours ago, rarerollingobject said:

Made a similar version of this not long ago, but improved the flavours this time; Monday office cake; a three layer pistachio and Cara Cara orange dacquoise, filled with blackberry curd, crystallised pistachios, freeze-dried pineapple and almond mascarpone meringue cream, topped with dehydrated pineapple flowers brushed in yuzu syrup. 

IMG_3796.PNG.c037043c393f1fae25a034ff778780a7.PNG

Is your business looking for more staff?

• Like 2

IMG_7882.thumb.JPG.3f6cbab5b862a15a335377fbf2649c35.JPG

• Like 9