• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2017 – )

pjm333

Wow @patris.  Glad I don't live close by.   And they don't look very shippable so I think I'm safe.  

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Sunday baking for Monday office morning tea - I actually didn't manage to get a photo of the cake before my locust colleagues started cutting it, so I present to you instead screenshots of THEIR Instagram feeds - my favourite thing about baking for my office is how all my colleagues instantly Instagram, Snapchat and Boomerang my cakes with such genuine excitement and glee. :x

In this case, strawberry, coconut meringue and mascarpone cake - a mammoth enterprsie; 24 eggs, 3kg of strawberries, 1.5kg of mascarpone..phew.

19437415_10155420346359122_7481251954099682218_n.thumb.jpg.e4141ac93a20dea48f1ed30350a3e07a.jpg

19510095_10155420346354122_4088385004664894615_n.thumb.jpg.15e7454e1bfeb0d2277123e72265e899.jpg

And for those with more of a meat-tooth than a sweet-tooth (like me), savoury Suzhou-style mooncakes, with proper hot water and lard pastry and chopped pork belly, ginger and white pepper filling.

19420527_10155420346374122_1716096672616138508_n.thumb.jpg.26366ac82ed315f9f77c9ddbf769c607.jpg

Edited by rarerollingobject (log)
  • Like 15

14 hours ago, gfron1 said:

3 layers of buttermilk chocolate chip cake, espresso buttercream, vanilla custard, marshmallow fluff, black cocoa macarons, black cocoa crumb, berries and granola. I was channeling my inner Andy Bowdy.

cake.thumb.jpg.e5b55a14c167c4e096d809203172cfb8.jpg

Oh my! That is like some sort of very good dream. I don't think I've ever seen anything quite like this, but it is so absolutely gorgeous and appealing.

• Like 2

> ^ . . ^ <

Chocolate dessert times two:)

Today I would like to share with you the dessert which is neither light nor lacking in sweetness. Instead it is simple, yummy, beautiful and very chocolaty. Choose the one you like:) 

the recipe is here on the RecipeGullet

DSC_1578a.jpg

DSC_1629a.jpg

Edited by Kasia (log)
  • Like 10

Kasia Warsaw/Poland

www.home-madepatchwork.com

follow me on Facebook and Instagram

On 27/06/2017 at 0:36 AM, gfron1 said:

3 layers of buttermilk chocolate chip cake, espresso buttercream, vanilla custard, marshmallow fluff, black cocoa macarons, black cocoa crumb, berries and granola. I was channeling my inner Andy Bowdy.

cake.thumb.jpg.e5b55a14c167c4e096d809203172cfb8.jpg

Hey, I know Andy Bowdy!! And his new cafe is very near my house in Sydney; and he sells miniatures now:

The Tony; cocoa nib cake, raspberry mousse, baked cheesecake, 

salted caramel, lemon jam, candied hazelnut, milk crumb:

IMG_5909.thumb.JPG.1484b6463a9f033e22bce66ce3f69580.JPG

And the Rita; spiced ginger cake, passionfruit bavarois, coconut chew, caramelised pineapple, toasted coconut cream, candied pecan, ginger milk crumb:

IMG_5908.thumb.JPG.1b916b2fd9d35e838ccf7892ab981779.JPG

Edited by rarerollingobject (log)
  • Like 12

Because I’m hardcore, I did indeed get home from a cocktail event last night, catnap for a little, and then got up again at 4am, STILL QUITE DRUNK, to make a four layer pineapple and coconut chiffon cake, filled with homemade lemon curd, fresh blackberries, roasted pistachios, almond buttercream and a dehydrated pineapple flower crown.

For a colleague’s birthday morning tea a mere few hours later. #drunkbaking

IMG_6725.thumb.JPG.46c5455f7e6435833aedba2e6c5a2c41.JPG

IMG_6726.thumb.JPG.37a03a0e543f8b4b1a930ef0140fca8f.JPG

IMG_6723.thumb.JPG.8587aca53b8e82f01ea4d0c7e2e04682.JPG

• Like 24

Kouign amann bake off today with my sister. We are pretty equally matched in the pastry kitchen, so the only true winner was the jeans company that will make a little more profit on the new pants we will need after we eat the fruits of our labors.

IMG_2445.thumb.JPG.95a49df3d8ab76ac7fd4dc5baf29e3d0.JPG

• Like 20

Patty

A lime-ginger version of the Semolina, Coconut & Marmalade cake from Ottolenghi's Jerusalem.
My deviations: lime juice & zest instead of orange, homemade lime-ginger marmalade instead of orange marmalade.  I (over)baked it in 4 little loaf pans and made a lime-ginger syrup to brush on after baking instead of the orange flower syrup specified.

IMG_0005.thumb.jpg.d1df84bb39da0989518eeec2d9f86ada.jpg
Served with yogurt and candied lime peel. I wouldn't say that syrup-soaked cakes are my most favorite thing but this one has nice texture from the coconut, ground almonds and semolina and I really liked the way the slightly tart yogurt complements the sweetness of the cake.

• Like 14

34 minutes ago, shain said:

Kaisermann. Fluffy, soft and hot with plenty of vanilla. Plum sauce.

20170701_210944.thumb.jpg.6b859d10f9fd80df3022479d036b8eb0.jpg

I have never heard of this dish, so looked it up! Very interesting! Did yours have the plumped-up rum soaked raisins in it? I will have to get the recipe for it and experiment one weekend.

• Like 2

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

1 hour ago, JohnT said:

I have never heard of this dish, so looked it up! Very interesting! Did yours have the plumped-up rum soaked raisins in it? I will have to get the recipe for it and experiment one weekend.

I looked it up, too, but only got people named that and an asteroid.  So what is it?  Looks intriguing!  

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, FrogPrincesse said:

I was out of bread this morning so I made (pound) cake. Served with homemade apricot vanilla jam.

Marie Antoinnette would have totally understood.:P

• Like 7

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, JohnT said:

I did include soaked raisins, and also soaked chopped dried apricots. 

I've based on this recipe:

http://www.chefkoch.de/rezepte/58361021449431/Kaiserschmarrn.html

(in German, but the ingredients list is easy to understand). I used vanilla extract (2 teaspoons) instead of vanilla sugar, light brown sugar instead of white. Egg whites whipped and folded with the batter,  poured into a hot wide buttered pan then baked (the recipe calls for flipping it in the pan, which would never had worked with such a foamy batter). 

1 hour ago, Kim Shook said:

I looked it up, too, but only got people named that and an asteroid.  So what is it?  Looks intriguing!  

Simply put, it's a very fluffy custardy pancake torn into pieces. 

I feel sad for those poor people (and astronomical objects), being named "emperor rugs" :)

Edit: I'll also point you to this beautiful (as always) preparation by @BonVivant who had also made this dish a few days ago:

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 4

~ Shai N.

Celebrating my in-laws 60th wedding anniversary...made this: 

It was a disaster that I attempted to rescue.  Amazing what a little Belvedere and gold lustre dust can do. :D

IMG_1824-2.JPG

• Like 10

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

2 hours ago, ChocoMom said:

Celebrating my in-laws 60th wedding anniversary...made this: 

It was a disaster that I attempted to rescue.  Amazing what a little Belvedere and gold lustre dust can do. :D

IMG_1824-2.JPG

It does not look like a disaster to me, and I'm sure your in-laws will see the love in it, as I do.

• Like 3

> ^ . . ^ <

@Thanks for the Crepes   Thank you!   The disaster portion of the project is covered in icing ... but prior to the magical application of buttercream, two of the layers broke, leading to a slow landslide type movement after assembly.  Driving from the house down to the pavilion - 3 miles -  really did it in. With every little bump we drove over, the whole thing began leaning forwards, and the caterer rescued it by tilting the cake stand backwards so it wouldn't collapse.   I was relieved it stayed put until dessert time.

• Like 4

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin: