• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

to explain partial egg

Here's my mini version of @kayb's peach ice box pie, adjusted to fit a 6-inch springform pan.

IMG_1255.thumb.jpg.8514597df00ae9271579ec5869131723.jpg

Like @kayb, I found the peach flavor to be relatively mild.  The fresh peach slices on top really helped bring the flavor out.  I found the texture to be light and creamy. 

I didn't have any graham crackers so I used some Ginger-Molasses Spice Cookies that I'd baked a while back and set aside to try as a pie crust.  The flavor is great but the spices overwhelmed the more delicate peach flavor. I'll stick with a more neutral crust next time.  

I'll also add a more generous amount of lemon or lime juice to enhance the fruity-ness of the peaches. 

So I have a record of what I did for a 6-inch pie:

Mix ~ 1 cup cookie crumbs with 1T melted butter and press into the bottom of a parchment-lined springform pan, grease sides with butter.

1 large peach (9 oz), cut in half, pitted and roasted, cut-side down, 20 min @ 350°F as I do when making peach purée for popsicles

Puréed the roasted peach, skin and all, in the blender, this yielded ~ 3/4 cup 

Added 1T lemon juice (I also do this with popsicles), 1 1/4 large egg and a bit more than half a can of sweetened condensed milk and blended to mix.  The yield here was ~ 2 1/4 cup

Pour over crust and cover with foil. Bake in CSO with shelf in lower position on convect-bake @ 325°F for 40 min. 

Cool, chill, top with fresh sliced peaches and whipped cream. 

I've been freezing beaten eggs in ~ 1/4 egg ice cubes to use when I need an egg wash or a partial egg.  Not sure they extra bit of egg was necessary but, like Kay, I was concerned it might not set up so I threw it in.

IMG_1252.jpg

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

Here's my mini version of @kayb's peach ice box pie, adjusted to fit a 6-inch springform pan.

IMG_1255.thumb.jpg.8514597df00ae9271579ec5869131723.jpg

Like @kayb, I found the peach flavor to be relatively mild.  The fresh peach slices on top really helped bring the flavor out.  I found the texture to be light and creamy. 

I didn't have any graham crackers so I used some Ginger-Molasses Spice Cookies that I'd baked a while back and set aside to try as a pie crust.  The flavor is great but the spices overwhelmed the more delicate peach flavor. I'll stick with a more neutral crust next time.  

I'll also add a more generous amount of lemon or lime juice to enhance the fruity-ness of the peaches. 

So I have a record of what I did for a 6-inch pie:

Mix ~ 1 cup cookie crumbs with 1T melted butter and press into the bottom of a parchment-lined springform pan, grease sides with butter.

1 large peach (9 oz), cut in half, pitted and roasted, cut-side down, 20 min @ 350°F as I do when making peach purée for popsicles

Puréed the roasted peach, skin and all, in the blender, this yielded ~ 3/4 cup 

Added 1T lemon juice (I also do this with popsicles), 1 1/4 large egg and a bit more than half a can of sweetened condensed milk and blended to mix.  The yield here was ~ 2 1/4 cup

Pour over crust and cover with foil. Bake in CSO with shelf in lower position on convect-bake @ 325°F for 40 min. 

Cool, chill, top with fresh sliced peaches and whipped cream. 

IMG_1252.jpg