• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

andiesenji

andiesenji

Yesterday I made an experimental stollen, a NON-Yeast recipe that I started with and then revised, using some of my ideas.

I used mostly self-raising (Odlums) flour but after measuring out, put 1/3 the volume back and substituted some bread flour (for structure) and mixed that with boiling water to make an elastic paste, which I beat into heavy cream, sour cream, flavors and sugar, before mixing in the self-raising flour.  this produces a dough that has almost the elasticity of yeast dough.  It was still quite sticky so I heavily floured the board with all-purpose since there was plenty of leavening in there already, kneaded it a bit to get to a less tacky stage and then kneaded in the candied peel and citron and toasted slivered almonds.  

It turned out surprisingly like regular yeasted stollen.  Took 50 minutes to bake in a 350°F oven.

I even got the traditional stollen shape.

HPIM2513.jpg

HPIM2514.jpg

HPIM2515.jpg

HPIM2516.jpg

HPIM2517.jpg

HPIM2518.jpg

andiesenji

andiesenji

Yesterday I made an experimental stollen, a NON-Yeast recipe that I started with and then revised, using some of my ideas.

I used mostly self-raising (Odlums) flour but after measuring out, put 1/3 the volume back and substituted some bread flour (for structure) and mixed that with boiling water to make an elastic paste, which I beat into heavy cream, sour cream, flavors and sugar, before mixing in the self-raising flour.  this produces a dough that has almost the elasticity of yeast dough.  It was still quite sticky so I heavily floured the board with all-purpose since there was plenty of leavening in there already, kneaded it a bit to get to a less tacky stage and then kneaded in the candied peel and citron and toasted slivered almonds.  

It turned out surprisingly like regular yeasted stollen.  Took 50 minutes to bake in a 350°F oven.

HPIM2513.jpg

HPIM2514.jpg

HPIM2515.jpg

HPIM2516.jpg

HPIM2517.jpg

HPIM2518.jpg