• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

free peaches

Nigel Slater's Cake for Midsummer with peaches and blueberries

IMG_8693.thumb.jpg.da5be997d4c946cb8efd711ce4f6d820.jpg

Very similar to the Marian Burros Original Plum Torte from the dreaded NYT.  

Differences are golden caster sugar instead of white and the addition of ground almonds, a bit of orange zest and vanilla extract.

Chopped peaches and blueberries are stirred in instead of being placed on top in larger slices. 

I used white peaches because the ones I had were really ripe.  Sadly, they're about the same color as the cake so they don't stand out.  Should have sliced them and put them on top. 

IMG_8694.thumb.jpg.c95ec5244a712d30b35fb1dc39c9bc1b.jpg

I sliced this up, removed a very small sliver for quality control :D, smooshed it all back into a circle and packed it up in a pizza box to take down to my peach peeps at the farmers market. 

Edited to add that the peach peeps liked the cake and gifted me with ~ 6 lbs of very ripe peaches I can play with.

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

Nigel Slater's Cake for Midsummer with peaches and blueberries

IMG_8693.thumb.jpg.da5be997d4c946cb8efd711ce4f6d820.jpg

Very similar to the Marian Burros Original Plum Torte from the dreaded NYT.  

Differences are golden caster sugar instead of white and the addition of ground almonds, a bit of orange zest and vanilla extract.

Chopped peaches and blueberries are stirred in instead of being placed on top in larger slices. 

I used white peaches because the ones I had were really ripe.  Sadly, they're about the same color as the cake so they don't stand out.  Should have sliced them and put them on top. 

IMG_8694.thumb.jpg.c95ec5244a712d30b35fb1dc39c9bc1b.jpg

I sliced this up, removed a very small sliver for quality control :D, smooshed it all back into a circle and packed it up in a pizza box to take down to my peach peeps at the farmers market.