• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

andiesenji

andiesenji

I posted this on Facebook today.

I have been working on perfecting this recipe for months.

Today I achieved perfection. 

I have tried any number of similar recipes, not just for cherries and almonds and they all ARE MUCH TOO SWEET! 

I don't know when someone decided that a lot of sugar was the way to make baked goods toothsome (I love that word) - because some of the very old recipes I have, from the 19th century and earlier, used much less sugar, which was very expensive and often scarce. 

This recipe is somewhat similar to others that use a whole cup of sugar for A SINGLE LOAF and in my opinion that is way too much. 1/4 cup is plenty, especially with sweet fruit.

I have included a shot of the cherries I used. These are better than any I have ever used. Amarena cherries, a product of Italy.

Cherry-Almond Quick Bread

Prep Time: 15 minutes Original Recipe by Andie Paysinger

Bake Time:  1 hour

Ingredients:

• 2 cups self-rising flour
  • 1/4 cup sugar  if you like it sweeter you can use 1/3 to 1/2 cup sugar without changing anything else.
  • 1 Teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 Teaspoon baking SODA
  • 1/2 cup chopped dried and plumped cherries  the Amarena cherries I show in my post do not need plumping. 
  • 1/2 cup slivered or sliced almonds
  • 3/4 cup buttermilk
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil -  a neutral oil  (grapeseed, avocado,  I use rice bran oil,  you don’t want a strongly flavored oil)
  • 2  Teaspoons almond extract

Measure the dried cherries and chop them add 1/4 cup hot water and allow to plump for at least 30 minutes. Do not drain, add the cherries and the liquid.

Directions:

Preheat an oven to 350°F. 

Grease and line a loaf pan size 9” x 5” 3”  line with parchment leaving at least 2 inch “wings” above each side.  (I use non-stick spray)

You can use two smaller loaf pans if you don't have a large one.

Measure the dry ingredients into a bowl, use a whisk to blend well.

Add the cherries and almonds and use a fork to distribute evenly.

In a large bowl, beat the eggs until they are light yellow in color.

Add the oil, and blend into the eggs.  Add the almond extract and the buttermilk and blend well.

Add half the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and stir till blended.  

Add the remaining flour mixture and stir till completely mixed.  

The mixture will begin to have a “spongy” texture, the effect of the buttermilk and baking soda - this is normal.

Spoon the batter into the lined loaf pan filling each end first and then the center.  Even the top and wet the spoon and with the back, push the batter toward the ends of the pan so the middle is slightly hollow looking.  This will produce an even top without a dome in the middle.

Place the pan in the center of the oven and bake for ONE HOUR. 

Remove from oven and place on a wire cooling rack. 

Wait 5 minutes and using the paper “wings” on each side, lift the loaf out of the pan and place on the rack.

Allow to cool for 45 minutes to an hour before cutting.

HPIM1585.jpg.519f88331eb3e2085ac05cef5fe2297f.jpg

HPIM1584.jpg.2cf6439c1f98377192021c0510513435.jpg

HPIM1586.jpg.b1b8ea5f9f5b5759e28c1c1bba3a881e.jpg

5b1dcf2c7864a_ScreenShot2018-06-09at7_01_31PM.thumb.png.fad858d2200a2646a2cf1e641189e055.png

andiesenji

andiesenji

I posted this on Facebook today.

I have been working on perfecting this recipe for months.

Today I achieved perfection. 

I have tried any number of similar recipes, not just for cherries and almonds and they all ARE MUCH TOO SWEET! 

I don't know when someone decided that a lot of sugar was the way to make baked goods toothsome (I love that word) - because some of the very old recipes I have, from the 19th century and earlier, used much less sugar, which was very expensive and often scarce. 

This recipe is somewhat similar to others that use a whole cup of sugar for A SINGLE LOAF and in my opinion that is way too much. 1/4 cup is plenty, especially with sweet fruit.

I have included a shot of the cherries I used. These are better than any I have ever used. Amarena cherries, a product of Italy.

Cherry-Almond Quick Bread

Prep Time: 15 minutes Original Recipe by Andie Paysinger

Bake Time:  1 hour

Ingredients:

• 2 cups self-rising flour
  • 1/4 cup sugar  if you like it sweeter you can use 1/3 to 1/2 cup sugar without changing anything else.
  • 1 Teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 Teaspoon baking SODA
  • 1/2 cup chopped dried and plumped cherries  the Amarena cherries I show in my post do not need plumping. 
  • 1/2 cup slivered or sliced almonds
  • 3/4 cup buttermilk
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil -  a neutral oil  (grapeseed, avocado,  I use rice bran oil,  you don’t want a strongly flavored oil)
  • 2  Teaspoons almond extract

Measure the dried cherries and chop them add 1/4 cup hot water and allow to plump for at least 30 minutes. Do not drain, add the cherries and the liquid.

Directions:

Preheat an oven to 350°F. 

Grease and line a loaf pan size 9” x 5” 3”  line with parchment leaving at least 2 inch “wings” above each side.  (I use non-stick spray)

You can use two smaller loaf pans if you don't have a large one.

Measure the dry ingredients into a bowl, use a whisk to blend well.

Add the cherries and almonds and use a fork to distribute evenly.

In a large bowl, beat the eggs until they are light yellow in color.

Add the oil, and blend into the eggs.  Add the almond extract and the buttermilk and blend well.

Add half the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and stir till blended.  

Add the remaining flour mixture and stir till completely mixed.  

The mixture will begin to have a “spongy” texture, the effect of the buttermilk and baking soda - this is normal.

Spoon the batter into the lined loaf pan filling each end first and then the center.  Even the top and wet the spoon and with the back, push the batter toward the ends of the pan so the middle is slightly hollow looking.  This will produce an even top without a dome in the middle.

Place the pan in the center of the oven and bake for ONE HOUR. 

Remove from oven and place on a wire cooling rack. 

Wait 5 minutes and using the paper “wings” on each side, lift the loaf out of the pan and place on the rack.

Allow to cool for 45 minutes to an hour before cutting.

HPIM1585.jpg.519f88331eb3e2085ac05cef5fe2297f.jpg

HPIM1584.jpg.2cf6439c1f98377192021c0510513435.jpg

HPIM1586.jpg.b1b8ea5f9f5b5759e28c1c1bba3a881e.jpg

5b1dcf2c7864a_ScreenShot2018-06-09at7_01_31PM.thumb.png.fad858d2200a2646a2cf1e641189e055.png