• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

helenjp

helenjp

Love the springlike greens with white!

Since it was raining, I did what should only be done in fine weather - made rakugan (Japanese "dry" sweets - mixture of sugar and any of a variety of cooked flours, with just enough moisture to hold together in a small mold).

Powdered sugar + kanbaiko (sticky rice cakes baked at low temp and  made into flour)  + powdered dried salted cherry blossom = wonderful flavor but too sweet
Trad fine brown sugar (not quite wasanbon but close) + kanbaiko + kinako (toasted soybean flour) = really hard to manage because of the fat content of the soybean flour, seemed uninteresting at first bite, but way too more-ish (not too sweet)

trad fine brown sugar + jonanko (sticky rice steamed, dried, and made into flour) = the perfect melt in your mouth powdery texture (no photo).

I've always used kanbaiko so I was really surprised that jonanko made such a difference. 

Sorry photos are not so great, I just snapped a couple to annoy absent son!

rakugan sakura.jpg

rakugan kinakosml.jpg

helenjp

helenjp

Love the springlike greens with white!

Since it was raining, I did what should only be done in fine weather - made rakugan (Japanese "dry" sweets - mixture of sugar and any of a variety of cooked flours, with just enough moisture to hold together in a small mold).

Powdered sugar + kanbaiko (sticky rice cakes baked at low temp and  made into flour)  + powdered dried salted cherry blossom = wonderful flavor but too sweet
Trad fine brown sugar (not quite wasanbon but close) + kanbaiko + kinako (toasted soybean flour) = really hard to manage because of the fat content of the soybean flour, seemed uninteresting at first bite, but way too more-ish (not too sweet)

trad fine brown sugar + jonanko (sticky rice steamed, dried, and made into flour) = the perfect melt in your mouth powdery texture (no photo).

I've always used kanbaiko so I was really surprised that jonanko made such a difference. 

rakugan sakura.jpg

rakugan kinakosml.jpg