• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

ElainaA

ElainaA

3 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

This is quite similar to the very adaptable Marian Burros/NYT Plum Torte recipe.  Here's a link to it on Smitten Kitchen.

They are very close to identical. The NYTimes recipe has lemon juice and cinnamon and no vanilla. That's about the only difference. If the recipe I have is a rip-off adaptation of Burros' that could explain something that has always bothered me - why is this called a 'tart'? In no way is it a tart - could 'tart' be a typo for 'torte'? I was able to track down my source - I got this version from Chowhound at least 4 years ago - probably longer ago than that. 

Now I will have to make this with plums.

ElainaA

ElainaA

3 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

This is quite similar to the very adaptable Marian Burros/NYT Plum Torte recipe.  Here's a link to it on Smitten Kitchen.

They are very close to identical. The NYTimes recipe has lemon juice and cinnamon and no vanilla. That's about the only difference. If the recipe I have is a rip-off adaptation of Burros' that could explain something that has always bothered me - why is this called a 'tart'? In no way is it a tart - could 'tart' be a typo for 'torte'? I was able to track down my source - I got this version from Chowhound at least 4 years ago - probably longer ago than that.