• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

andiesenji

andiesenji

16 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I didn't find any malted brown flour.  I went ahead with whole wheat flour (Bob's Red Mill).  There may be something missing but it seemed fine to me.

The batter seemed very wet and heavy to me with the brown sugar first dissolved in the butter, coffee, maple syrup mixture. Adding the beaten eggs and coffee extract resulted in a good sized pitcher of liquid to be added to the flour and nuts.  But it worked.  Baking time was ~ 40 min in my oven w/convection vs the 75 min time in the recipe.

I have a couple of recipes that call for the malted brown flour and I used to order the Hovis Malted Brown Granary Flour from England - the shipping costs were brutal.  And it had to be kept in the freezer because it goes rancid rapidly.

Then a friend, who used to own a tea shop in Dingle, Ireland suggested that I get some Odlums Wholemeal flour and add "malt syrup" to the recipe.  However, once I got it from Food Ireland, I tried adding some Diastatic Malt Powder (half a tablespoon per cup of flour) and my recipes turned out lovely.  Had that malty-sweet with a tiny hint of bitter aftertaste one associates with burnt sugar.

I had already been using Odlums Self-Raising flour and Odlums Cream flour (absolutely perfect for cakes or scones or pie pastry or anything that you want to remain tender and not develop gluten.  

Since the wholemeal is rather coarse, I take HALF the flour, after measuring and process it in a food processor or blender (or my Thermomix) until it is fine and then mix the two together.  This approximates the consistency of the Hovis product.  

andiesenji

andiesenji

16 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I didn't find any malted brown flour.  I went ahead with whole wheat flour (Bob's Red Mill).  There may be something missing but it seemed fine to me.

The batter seemed very wet and heavy to me with the brown sugar first dissolved in the butter, coffee, maple syrup mixture. Adding the beaten eggs and coffee extract resulted in a good sized pitcher of liquid to be added to the flour and nuts.  But it worked.  Baking time was ~ 40 min in my oven w/convection vs the 75 min time in the recipe.

I have a couple of recipes that call for the malted brown flour and I used to order the Hovis Malted Brown Granary Flour from England - the shipping costs were brutal.

Then a friend, who used to own a tea shop in Dingle, Ireland suggested that I get some Odlums Wholemeal flour and add "malt syrup" to the recipe.  However, once I got it from Food Ireland, I tried adding some Diastatic Malt Powder (half a tablespoon per cup of flour) and my recipes turned out lovely.  Had that malty-sweet with a tiny hint of bitter aftertaste one associates with burnt sugar.

I had already been using Odlums Self-Raising flour and Odlums Cream flour (absolutely perfect for cakes or scones or pie pastry or anything that you want to remain tender and not develop gluten.  

Since the wholemeal is rather coarse, I take HALF the flour, after measuring and process it in a food processor or blender (or my Thermomix) until it is fine and then mix the two together.  This approximates the consistency of the Hovis product.