• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2017 – )

pjm333

39 minutes ago, Darienne said:

I've never tasted a Key lime for real.  I don't think we get them in Ontario...well, we don't get them in Peterborough for sure.   The orange sounds promising also.  

Next thing I know, some eGer from Toronto is going to announce that they can buy Key Limes...:P:P

I've seen them here and bought some once.  They produce very little juice for a lot of effort.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ElsieD said:

I've seen them here and bought some once.  They produce very little juice for a lot of effort.

The times I've juiced them I used a centrifugal juicer - got way too much oil vs juice in there!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

The times I've juiced them I used a centrifugal juicer - got way too much oil vs juice in there!

Alas, some of us have to make do with reamers.

Edited by ElsieD
Fixed a typo (log)
  • Like 1

20190824_160232.thumb.jpg.3511803718815442c8489f9322d78936.jpgWell, I have taken the plunge. Peach icebox pie, just out of the CSO. I'll let it cool, chill overnight, and top with whipped cream tomorrow for Sunday dinner, which will be vegetarian and all from the farmers market.

Edited by kayb (log)
  • Like 10
  • Delicious 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

6 hours ago, kayb said:

20190824_160232.thumb.jpg.3511803718815442c8489f9322d78936.jpgWell, I have taken the plunge. Peach icebox pie, just out of the CSO. I'll let it cool, chill overnight, and top with whipped cream tomorrow for Sunday dinner, which will be vegetarian and all from the farmers market.

If there's a link to this recipe / concept just a few posts up, please kick me in private...but post a link anyway. Peach icebox pie? Baked? Please give more detail. It looks wonderful.

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

8 hours ago, Smithy said:

If there's a link to this recipe / concept just a few posts up, please kick me in private...but post a link anyway. Peach icebox pie? Baked? Please give more detail. It looks wonderful.

I'm assuming that it's a riff on this:

On 8/15/2019 at 6:26 PM, kayb said:

My never-fail recipe for lemon icebox pie:

2 cans condensed milk

5 eggs

3/4 cup lemon juice

Beat well. Pour into graham cracker crumb crust and bake at 325 for 40 minutes. Cool and top with whipped cream, lightly sweetened. Makes 2 pies.

Very little is any simpler, or any better. The egg yolks also do away with the coloring issue.

Incorporating these thoughts:

On 8/19/2019 at 4:49 PM, kayb said:

You can indeed use lime juice. I have, in fact, juiced Key limes and made Key lime pie by this recipe (and was astounded at how many Key limes it took to generate 3/4 cup of juice.

I have even used (thawed) frozen orange juice concentrate, mixed 1-1 with water instead of the conventional 3:1 to make the orange flavor more intense. I suspect one could use any sort of fruit juice or puree, though I've never tried.

H'mmm. Bet it'd be good with fresh peach puree. And I have peaches on the counter. 

I'd love to hear the specifics, too, as I've got peaches on the counter as well!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This peach conversation is right in time with a NYTimes article about the Masumoto family farm in the Central Valley, which led me to their cookbook, which is for sale (autographed) from their store, and from Amazon, Powell's books, and many other shops...and which Amazon advises me I bought in Kindle format nearly 3 years ago. :$

As usual the NYT hides their stuff behind a paywall, but for those who can see it -- or maybe there's a way around that wall -- go check out "The Peaches Are Sweet, but Growing Them Isn't" by Miriam Pawel, in the NYTimes. Published Aug. 24, updated Aug. 25, 2019. 

• Like 4

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

17 hours ago, Smithy said:

@blue_dolphin beat me to it. I use just one can of condensed milk, three eggs, and about two cups of peach puree. I cut up three large peaches, cooked them with just a bit of water to get them started -- no sugar, as they were quite sweet -- and blended them up with the immersion blender before stirring into the eggs and condensed milk mixture. I used three eggs because I felt like it might need them given the high proportion of peach puree.

Haven't tried it yet. Nobody wanted dessert after dinner, and I have an abscessed tooth and eating is pretty painful.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

6 minutes ago, kayb said:

@blue_dolphin beat me to it. I use just one can of condensed milk, three eggs, and about two cups of peach puree. I cut up three large peaches, cooked them with just a bit of water to get them started -- no sugar, as they were quite sweet -- and blended them up with the immersion blender before stirring into the eggs and condensed milk mixture. I used three eggs because I felt like it might need them given the high proportion of peach puree.

Haven't tried it yet. Nobody wanted dessert after dinner, and I have an abscessed tooth and eating is pretty painful.

Thanks for the information. I hope you are on the mend and able to try it soon.

1 hour ago, kayb said:

Thank you and much sympathy on the tooth.  Ouch!

I went ahead and started my own experiment based on your original, barbered down for a little 6-inch springform pan.   Now that I've seen your response, I think I'm on the right track.   I just put it into the fridge and probably won't try it until tomorrow.  I'll report back. 

• Like 2

I eventually tried mine last night. Wasn't as "peachy" as I had hoped, nor as creamy. I might have done as well with just two eggs. But the peach flavor was very mild.

I made a GF version of a graham cracker crumb crust with almond meal, brown sugar and butter. Too much butter. I'll use about 2 tbsp next time. Tasted good, though.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

Here's my mini version of @kayb's peach ice box pie, adjusted to fit a 6-inch springform pan.

IMG_1255.thumb.jpg.8514597df00ae9271579ec5869131723.jpg

Like @kayb, I found the peach flavor to be relatively mild.  The fresh peach slices on top really helped bring the flavor out.  I found the texture to be light and creamy. 

I didn't have any graham crackers so I used some Ginger-Molasses Spice Cookies that I'd baked a while back and set aside to try as a pie crust.  The flavor is great but the spices overwhelmed the more delicate peach flavor. I'll stick with a more neutral crust next time.  

I'll also add a more generous amount of lemon or lime juice to enhance the fruity-ness of the peaches. 

So I have a record of what I did for a 6-inch pie:

Mix ~ 1 cup cookie crumbs with 1T melted butter and press into the bottom of a parchment-lined springform pan, grease sides with butter.

1 large peach (9 oz), cut in half, pitted and roasted, cut-side down, 20 min @ 350°F as I do when making peach purée for popsicles

Puréed the roasted peach, skin and all, in the blender, this yielded ~ 3/4 cup 

Added 1T lemon juice (I also do this with popsicles), 1 1/4 large egg and a bit more than half a can of sweetened condensed milk and blended to mix.  The yield here was ~ 2 1/4 cup

Pour over crust and cover with foil. Bake in CSO with shelf in lower position on convect-bake @ 325°F for 40 min. 

Cool, chill, top with fresh sliced peaches and whipped cream. 

I've been freezing beaten eggs in ~ 1/4 egg ice cubes to use when I need an egg wash or a partial egg.  Not sure they extra bit of egg was necessary but, like Kay, I was concerned it might not set up so I threw it in.

IMG_1252.jpg

Edited by blue_dolphin
to explain partial egg (log)
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 4

Knaffeh. Using jibneh - a lightly brined ewe milk cheese, with a chewy stretchy texture (somewhere between fresh motz and hallumi). Buttery and crisp kadaif. Rose scented syrup with lemon.

IMG_20190806_220647.jpg

IMG_20190806_220700.jpg

• Like 7
  • Delicious 3

~ Shai N.

A 9"x13" pan of Paul Young brownies that I baked to bring to a potluck party. This is a chocolate batch, no additions. I'd love to make a batch with a tahini swirl... just need to make sure that there are enough people around to help me eat them!

779803134_IMG_5658-paulyoungbrownies.jpg.f367a27a1f7a89d05f1cebde11d8f564.jpg  577551640_IMG_5659-paulyoungbrownies.jpg.3dfef4bbe592a3365e621610aeb6fa23.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 2

New York style baked cheesecake from Joy of Baking (https://www.joyofbaking.com/Cheesecake.html) with a raspberry jelly topping.

969395885_IMG_1586(Medium).thumb.JPG.352c056f9f9f8defd3a024324fb2e189.JPG

743689580_IMG_1585(Medium).thumb.JPG.ee314fca6687a2817e447c98be48bd7d.JPG

I came up with the idea, my wife (bless her) did the execution. In the process, I almost got executed for coming up with the idea (another story, not related to this recipe).

• Like 10
  • Delicious 3