• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2017 – )

pjm333

I don't know why, but when I make one of these I almost always make the other as well.

20190216_151851.thumb.jpg.065f757ffdddc502153d602189750da3.jpg

Coconut macaroons.

20190216_155640.thumb.jpg.d79f3c663d77d0dcdf24d1391aaa6de0.jpg

Stovetop chocolate peanut butter cookies. First time I've made them with King Arthur Double Dutch cocoa. Might cut that back a bit next time. They're REAL chocolatey...

• Like 8

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Another weekend, another bergamot dessert.  At this rate, I must be in with a chance of a lobbying job with Big Berga ;)

Ginger, milk chocolate and bergamot tart

832580703_Gingermilkchocolateandbergamot.thumb.jpg.0251ee464e7356d9decaba0006799019.jpg

Speculoos, milk chocolate and candied ginger base

Bergamot, fresh ginger and milk chocolate crémeux

Milk chocolate and fresh ginger chantilly

Bits and pieces

Turns out that ginger and bergamot go really well together.  It would probably be a good addition to a Dark & Stormy.

• Like 19

I would suggest you to try pairing bergamot and olive oil.

Bergamot pairs well with most kind of teas (gunpowder, sencha, tieguanyin, pouchong...), not just the basic black tea used to make earl grey. Also with lot of flowers: chamomile, lavender, ylang ylang, rose, violet, jasmine...

Teo

Teo

9 hours ago, teonzo said:

I would suggest you to try pairing bergamot and olive oil.

Bergamot pairs well with most kind of teas (gunpowder, sencha, tieguanyin, pouchong...), not just the basic black tea used to make earl grey. Also with lot of flowers: chamomile, lavender, ylang ylang, rose, violet, jasmine...

Teo

Good to know.  I'll have a go with those.

I'd also love to pair it with fresh raspberry, but the chance of finding good raspberries right now is zero.

Basil might be an interesting option as well.

12 hours ago, jmacnaughtan said:

Basil might be an interesting option as well.

Yup, I tried bergamot + basil + ylang ylang in the past and loved it. But I must admit I used essential oils both for bergamot and ylang ylang. Finding good basil during bergamot season is even more difficult than finding good raspberries. Finding ylang ylang flowers is almost impossible.

Teo

Teo

Idly browsing the discount shelf at the supermarket last night, I was shocked and delighted to see them clearing out their stock of maple sugar. So I picked up ten 100g bags at 90% off! 😲

I made Pierre Herme's Financier Carré Blanc which are little maple and cranberry almond cakes.

Financier.thumb.png.1c06df287c23bb6b7be09ae4bfac39aa.png

The traditionally shaped ones (L) were made in metal, the others (R) in silicone. I prefer traditional because the edges crisp up a touch more for a nice textural contrast.

1005210203_FinancierCut.thumb.jpg.7c3d1ed93d32903796d4c58628155960.jpg

691851646_FinancierCut2.thumb.jpg.b20056fee5cfb5bdb3e3d71b38c7818d.jpg

After getting all excited about the maple sugar, it wasn't a particularly forward flavour and was somewhat lost behind the brown butter. I like financiers, and these were good, but not worth the premium for speciality sugar.

Just gotta find a way now to use up the remaining 934g of Canada's finest!

Edited by Pete Fred
I'm English. We say speciality not specialty. So there. (log)
  • Like 17

One for us nostalgia freaks... Barbara Kafka's Microwave Chocolate Pudding. I think this came on my radar when reading her obituary in the New York Times back in the summer.

424016875_MicrowaveChocolatePudding.thumb.jpg.ab7d11d4056e40b607059fae56dd72b9.jpg

I'm curious.... is it meant to be "self-saucing", or is mine just undercooked? The recipe makes no mention of this film of batter. The crumb might look a little dense in the picture but it was actually really light, and even if the "sauce" is technically incorrect it worked well.

This was a pleasant surprise. Beautifully simple and just half an hour from opening the cupboard to doing the washing up. A good recipe to have tucked away in case of dessert related emergencies!

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

21 minutes ago, Pete Fred said:

This was a pleasant surprise. Beautifully simple and just half an hour from opening the cupboard to doing the washing up. A good recipe to have tucked away in case of dessert related emergencies!

You have convinced me to at least add it to my list.   Thank you.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

the microwave cought my eye

some time ago I used to make a microwaved chocolate thing-ey

it had a  hot gooey interior that was very tasty

I think it started as a boxed brownie mix   Betty Crocker.

it was the rage for a while and very good and easy

but I can't place it for more info.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

I could only find three people online who'd made it, commenting on the "natural gooey chocolate sauce", the "thin, shiny glaze" and a texture "half cake, half mousse".

Either we're all doing it wrong or that's how it's supposed to be.

When cooled (L) it went quite fudgy (and definitely needed cream or custard), but a quick nuking in the microwave brought the moussey-ness back (R, not that you can tell).

1020887032_MicrowaveChocolatePudding(Cooled).thumb.jpg.fe035157b8fb9b6aeec36c91055dbf27.jpg

• Like 3

OK, i'm not really happy with this cake, but I felt I should post it anyway. I ended up rushing through part of it, and didn't make enough frosting to do what I really wanted, though I'm sure it will taste great. It's Vanilla Buttermilk cake, with cream cheese frosting, and raspberry filling.

Happy 40th Anniversary Mom & Dad!

IMG_0029 (1).jpg

Edited by Matthew.Taylor
Needed to add something. (log)
  • Like 12

OK, here's this weekends work. The cake is White Cake, and the shards are 60% cacao chocolate and colored white chocolate. It's not as tall as I'd like, but it is just practice.The shards were originally a chocolate fan I made with my first attempt at tempering chocolate, using the "melt the chocolate 75% Then take off the heat and add more" method. I think it worked pretty well all in all, though with my final decision for decorating, I felt they wouldn't really work they way I made them.

IMG_0032.jpg

• Like 12

On vacation a neighbor asked me if I can make a dessert for their small dinner. I have a microscopic gas oven with no numbers on the dial. I call it crap shoot baking. I have a small ancient hand mixer and a mini food processor blender combo from the 90's. Zero pans, tins, rings, piping bags or tips, palette knives. 😂 About as simple as a home baking kitchen can be. But, I had brought with me some vacuum packed dulce de leche that I had sous vide for bonbons but didn't have time to use before I left. So, throw that in the suit case because what else do you need on vacation on a tropical island other than a bikini and a kilo of dulce de leche.
So, this was my banoffee tartlet. Needless to say, everyone was amazed at my mad skills...

Aap3MXZfRzmdnZcfLTRWFA_thumb_1438.thumb.jpg.70581dc0aeaf2459f6cc0a5c63f84620.jpg

• Like 13

8 hours ago, julie99nl said:

On vacation a neighbor asked me if I can make a dessert for their small dinner. I have a microscopic gas oven with no numbers on the dial. I call it crap shoot baking. I have a small ancient hand mixer and a mini food processor blender combo from the 90's. Zero pans, tins, rings, piping bags or tips, palette knives. 😂 About as simple as a home baking kitchen can be. But, I had brought with me some vacuum packed dulce de leche that I had sous vide for bonbons but didn't have time to use before I left. So, throw that in the suit case because what else do you need on vacation on a tropical island other than a bikini and a kilo of dulce de leche.
So, this was my banoffee tartlet. Needless to say, everyone was amazed at my mad skills...

Aap3MXZfRzmdnZcfLTRWFA_thumb_1438.thumb.jpg.70581dc0aeaf2459f6cc0a5c63f84620.jpg

I'm always greatly impressed by people who can turn a hopeless situation into a big win.  And that looks like a big win!

• Like 1

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

The Nutella, Sesame and Hazelnut Rolls from Ottolenghi 'Simple'.

322158818_NutellaRolls.thumb.jpg.946069d6f256d940eacfa451fb957228.jpg

Quite tasty. I liked the orange note. Not sure the sesame seeds added much; I'll probably skip them next time. Warm out of the oven (or after a quick blast in the microwave) they're soft with a little crispness on top; once cooled, they're chewier (no bad thing).

1438595694_NutellaRoll.thumb.jpg.87d3219fac097f16cf0f490207b0faee.jpg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

On 3/4/2019 at 1:09 PM, pjm333 said:

Everything Bagel Bomb's & Sweet Potato crusted pizza

bagel bomb.jpg

sweet potato pizza.jpg

I really like the Bagel bombs, but i'm gonna be honest with you. I don't think the sweet potato crust pizza looks very good, or appetizing. I hope you enjoyed it, but if I saw it in a restaurant, I probably wouldn't order it. I hope you aren't upset at that, but I felt the urge to be honest here.

16 hours ago, Matthew.Taylor said:

I really like the Bagel bombs, but i'm gonna be honest with you. I don't think the sweet potato crust pizza looks very good, or appetizing. I hope you enjoyed it, but if I saw it in a restaurant, I probably wouldn't order it. I hope you aren't upset at that, but I felt the urge to be honest here.

To each his own I guess, I sell over 100 of these a week at $15.00 each.

• Like 7