• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2017 – )

pjm333

6 minutes ago, pjm333 said:

Everything Spice Jack Cheese Danish!

Wow.  I would like to become acquainted with these.

• Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Bread pudding with coconut cream, bananas, hazelnuts, raisins, rum, dark brown sugar.

Bread pudding, and custard in general, are perhaps my favorite sweets :)

IMG_20190111_225055.thumb.jpg.c1bff009e952f60d97c500473370a257.jpgIMG_20190111_232341.thumb.jpg.cb2fc93cb694bad2fee68e6bff855025.jpg

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 8
  • Delicious 1

~ Shai N.

On 11/23/2018 at 10:53 AM, RWood said:

A friend asked me to make her in-laws an anniversary cake for today. I said sure, but don't think I'll do that again when I was the one cooking for Thanksgiving 🙃. Ugh, too much. 

Carrot cake with buttercream flowers, it weighs a freakin' ton.

14016996-2EB0-4FAC-AD2E-E7B3C52D31A7.jpeg

Wow! I can understand it being too much of a burden along with cooking a big Thanksgiving feast, but your sure pulled it off! That is one beautiful cake.

• Like 6

> ^ . . ^ <

43 minutes ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

Wow! I can understand it being too much of a burden along with cooking a big Thanksgiving feast, but your sure pulled it off! That is one beautiful cake.

Thanks! 😎

Peanut shortbread, pecan dacquoise, cinnamon crunch, chocolate mousse, caramel, caramelised pecans, caramelised almonds in the glaze and a caramel chantilly cream. By the time I'd remembered I wanted a cross section, I'd already finished mine!

• Like 11

I came across fresh bergamots for the first time ever at the market the other week, and it looks like they'll stay for another couple of weeks.  I'm annoyed that I've never had them before; they're amazing.  Use them in gin and tonic!

Among other things, I wanted to pair them with white chocolate.

So I did.

Bergamot and white chocolate cake

87394670_Whitechocolateandbergamot.thumb.jpg.0e8486cb7618a9bcc06cd7005bc6103c.jpg

Pomelo sponge

White chocolate and bergamot crunch

Bergamot confit

More pomelo sponge soaked in bergamot syrup

Bergamot curd

White chocolate ganache

White chocolate and bergamot chantilly

Kumquat slices

The combination of bergamot and white chocolate is excellent :D They're sharp and bitter enough to need that rich sweetness - although I still had to soften it a little with salt.

I'm still working on the finish though - I've really started liking rough edges on cakes and eliminating glazes (saving a lot of time, effort and clean-up in the process).  I'd like to go a bit further with the texture on the side of the cake though - I find the quarry-surface thing pretty cool.

• Like 14

A surfeit of egg whites was all the excuse I needed to have a go at pavlova for the first time. This was 'winter fruits'. A baked meringue, spread with vanilla whipped cream and poached, spiced apple and pear segments, a sprinkiing of blackberries, then rolled. Finally, more cream piped on top and a faintly ridiculous 'artful' placement of more fruit.

Pavlova.thumb.jpg.097596045cda6bfc143fc240cf79ae35.jpg

1247832948_PavlovaSlice.jpg.86bf97e5f22b92cb136c6d53ed66198b.jpg

It was a bit 'meh' in terms of flavour. But this was mainly an opportunity to practise technique and construction ahead of (hopefully) better fruit in the summer, and I was happy with the process and texture of it.

• Like 10
  • Delicious 1

I know, I'm always complaining about lack of flavour and blaming it on the fruit. I didn't want to waste any rum or wine on what was just a test run so didn't do myself any favours. Come July, when I make another one, I'll no doubt be moaning about the strawberries or cherries. 😁😉

it only takes a few drops of Rum or what not / fruit set.

its a long long long time until July.

and best of luck getting delicious fresh pears.

work w what you have , and then

done and delicious

right now. !

• Like 1

OK, With my Niece' fifth Birthday, my family entrusted me with the creation of the Birthday cake. She requested a Unicorn themed cake several months ago at her brother's party (I made a large Chocolate Chip cookie for the cake, it was dinosaur themes). My sister sent a more specific request, and the end result was this. The buttercream is American Vanilla Buttercream, and the cake is a Vanilla Buttermilk Funfetti cake.

I'm really proud of myself for this, I'm even thinking of doing some cakes on the side for people, perhaps finally get my long-wanted business up and running. Nevertheless, here we go.

IMG_0006.jpg

Edited by Matthew.Taylor
Misspelling. (log)
  • Like 11
  • Delicious 1

12 hours ago, julie99nl said:

Did you end up adding pistachio to your sablee?

Yes yes! Replaced some butter with pistachio paste and some flour also got replaced with pistachio powder. Really tasty, but it should probably have been 1-2 minutes shorter in the oven.

A batch of Thomas Keller's bouchons.

Bouchons.thumb.jpg.0284934f95c1f2746500bb5a737d72b0.jpg

These are excellent little cakes. I make them in Ø 45 mm (1¾") dariole moulds. Quite dinky and gone in two or three bites...

1049039347_BouchonSize.thumb.jpg.852213b6bd4a2a1e050e2407ca80141b.jpg

They're a tiny bit crispy on top, and are like a cakey brownie. I find them best warm, when the chocolate chips are still gooey. Once cooled, they're a touch more dense (not that that's a bad thing!).

326817574_BouchonCut.thumb.jpg.fc367b9508959c03d6ae01fcb487900a.jpg

Mr Keller certainly knows a thing or two about cookin'. 😀

Edited by Pete Fred (log)
  • Like 4
  • Delicious 2

I'm trying to use up some pantry odd-n-ends lately.  Had a bit of cornmeal looking for a project, also some freeze dried pineapple and cherries.  I decided to give Alton Brown's Pineapple Upside-Down Cornmeal Cake a try.  I used small corningware bowls instead of the skillet for convenience/portions.  There was a bit of batter leftover after filling my prepped bowls so I baked another bowl with just the cornmeal cake, adding chopped spice pecans and bacon bits on top.   I am very pleased with the cornmeal cake part, it's moist, smooth and not overly sweet as I feared it might be.  It looks a bit of a mess in the picture, but that's what one-handed phone pics get you.

IMG_7385.jpg

• Like 7

On 1/31/2019 at 12:32 PM, Pete Fred said:

A baked meringue, spread with vanilla whipped cream and poached

@Pete Fred thanks for posting. Would you please describe how you made the meringue hollow so that you could fill it with the cream? It was not hollow when you put it in to the oven, right? It would collapse, I think. But I am not sure, I am a newbie...

2 hours ago, akonsu said:

Would you please describe how you made the meringue hollow so that you could fill it with the cream?

It's not hollow. It's made just like a Swiss roll. 👍

Bake a flat sheet of meringue on a tray lined with parchment. Once cooled, place a tea towel on top, flip and remove parchment. Spread with a layer of whipped cream and cover with fruit. Then roll into a log using the tea towel to assist. As you roll, the meringue cracks into that crazy-paving effect. Place seam side down on a serving tray or plate.

It's from this recipe by Ottolenghi. I thought the oven temperature was way too high so did my meringue at 130C/260F until pale beige and suitably cooked (crusty on top, marshmallowy inside).

• Like 1

Made a batch of the well known Orange Creamsicle Cookies but flavored with lime zest instead of orange.  I believe @Anna N dubbed these Lime Bees when she made them. 

I made a few with the addition of some Ruby Cacao Wafers from Trader Joes in addition to the white chocolate chips the recipe calls for.  

IMG_0174.thumb.jpg.ea0880da131921778f2bc037e7c101df.jpg

The TJ's website post says they are not recommended for baking but they seem fine.  I'll try them in some chocolate cookies next.  

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1

Carrot cake for my daugher’s birthday:

DSCN9114.JPG.c0249ec1f89fe982b817ac96f76bc705.JPG

DSCN9117.JPG.f0e64ee585a6cb28e278c10c3dcaa56f.JPG

Spent a few days at a family gathering in Charleston SC to celebrate my dad and his twin brother’s 80th birthdays.  I made a couple of No Bake PB Pie (no picture) and some Dream Cookies:

1698265367_dreamcookies.jpg.387b3284422c9267997452ed1acdd2df.jpg

The pie is just about the only sweet thing that my dad likes.  We have a family predilection for peanut butter and it supersedes the sweet avoidance!  The cookies I’ve talked about many times here at eG.  They look utterly plain, but are our families favorite cooky.  I’ve been making these since I was a little girl. 

• Like 10
  • Delicious 2