• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

shain

shain

2 hours ago, JohnT said:

I have never heard of this dish, so looked it up! Very interesting! Did yours have the plumped-up rum soaked raisins in it? I will have to get the recipe for it and experiment one weekend.

I did include soaked raisins, and also soaked chopped dried apricots. 

I've based on this recipe:

http://www.chefkoch.de/rezepte/58361021449431/Kaiserschmarrn.html

(in German, but the ingredients list is easy to understand). I used vanilla extract (2 teaspoons) instead of vanilla sugar, light brown sugar instead of white. Egg whites whipped and folded with the batter,  poured into a hot wide buttered pan then baked (the recipe calls for flipping it in the pan, which would never had worked with such a foamy batter). 

1 hour ago, Kim Shook said:

I looked it up, too, but only got people named that and an asteroid.  So what is it?  Looks intriguing!  

Simply put, it's a very fluffy custardy pancake torn into pieces. 

I feel sad for those poor people (and astronomical objects), being named "emperor rugs" :)

Edit: I'll also point you to this beautiful (as always) preparation by @BonVivant who had also made this dish a few days ago:

shain

shain

2 hours ago, JohnT said:

I have never heard of this dish, so looked it up! Very interesting! Did yours have the plumped-up rum soaked raisins in it? I will have to get the recipe for it and experiment one weekend.

(in German, but the ingredients list is easy to understand). I used vanilla extract (2 teaspoons) instead of vanilla sugar, light brown sugar instead of white. Egg whites whipped and folded with the batter,  poured into a hot wide buttered pan then baked (the recipe calls for flipping it in the pan, which would never had worked with such a foamy butter). 

I looked it up, too, but only got people named that and an asteroid.  So what is it?  Looks intriguing!  

I feel sad for those poor people (and astronomical objects), being named "emperor rugs" :)

Edit: I'll also point you to this beautiful (as always) preparation by @BonVivant who had also made this dish a few days ago:

shain

shain

2 hours ago, JohnT said:

(in German, but the ingredients list is easy to understand). I used vanilla extract (5 teaspoons) instead of vanilla sugar, light brown sugar instead of white. Egg whites whipped and folded with the batter,  poured into a hot wide buttered pan then baked (the recipe calls for flipping it in the pan, which would never had worked with such a foamy butter). 

shain

shain

2 hours ago, JohnT said:

(in German, but the ingredients list is easy to understand). I used vanilla extract (5 teaspoons) instead of vanilla sugar, light brown sugar instead of white. Egg whites whipped and folded with the batter,  poured into a hot wide buttered pan then baked (the recipe calls for flipping it in the pan, which would never had worked with such a foamy butter).