• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anova Nano --- New

rotuts

It's a great proposition..... 

great size and prefer the interface than the app only Joule.

I just note it's available to the EU, but not in the U.K at least as pre-order...... so it begins.

700 W is no big deal

if you use hot tap water

and for loger cooks

a Coleman or generic cooler

remember the tops of coolers are not insulated 

but easy to fix.

A dealbreaker for me is the size of the clamp. Won't open wide enough for the sides of a standard cooler.

I wish they'd make a full-featured, no-compromise circulator, with the small form factor and and improved interface.

No reason they couldn't couple the body size and heating element design of the Joule, the clamp design of the regular Anovas, and an improved interface.

• Like 3

Notes from the underbelly

• 2 weeks later...

Based upon something I just saw I doubt Target will pick up the nano. The Target I am in right now has put the Bluetooth model on clearance.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

• 1 year later...

Thanks for sharing. Nice but it won’t persuade me to give up my Joule.

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I think it ticks a lot of boxes for Anova:  smaller but still with manual controls, waterproof, and a great price point.  I don't think many people will miss the wifi connectivity.  I also think the clamp is a bust, but only because having it fixed in one place limits the size of the pot you can use it in.  I can't imagine why they wouldn't/couldn't have a sliding/adjustable clamp like their other models.  I certainly hope it wasn't just to maintain a slimmer profile (which IMO would be silly).

I'm impressed by the video. My biggest complaint upthread was that the clamp wouldn't open wide enough for a cooler, but it turns out Anova specs it at 0.7" ... it should just barely fit.

This looks perfect for a 2nd circulator, for those times when you need different temperature water baths. It would also be great for travel. I've crammed my Anova 1 into checked luggage. Passable but not fun. 

I prefer the construction of the Joule, but am just not interested in a phone-only interface. And the construction of this thing looks quite solid. Time will tell if it's built well enough to be a workhorse, but that's now how I'd use it.

• Like 2

On 7/13/2018 at 8:08 AM, rotuts said:

Im wondering if the Nano is in stores and can be examined

re :  the clamp

I have one in my basement.  No, wait.  I have two in my basement, one of which is going back.  What do you want examined?  I doesn't come off.  I looked at it, and was worried it would break if I poked at it too much.  I'll take some measurements tomorrow. 

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

the measurement of interest is the maximum width of the clamp

some beer-coolers might be too thick to use it.

They say it opens to 0.7". My coolers are right around this thickness. My guess is that since both the cooler walls and the clamp are plastic, there's a bit of wiggle room. I just hope the clamp is burly enough to handle some flexing.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/15/2018 at 8:47 AM, rotuts said:

the measurement of interest is the maximum width of the clamp

some beer-coolers might be too thick to use it.

max width of the clamp, with the rubber bits installed, is about 11/16".  The screw and rubber tip on the screw come right out, which gives you about 3/4".  The rubber bumper on the other side comes off, which gives you a bit more.  It is enough that you can shove it with a great deal of effort, over the lip of a Cambro food pan.  But the required amount of water is so high, you can't actually use one, because adding food causes it to over flow.  the top of the clamp, which limits how far it can go into a container, to the minimum water line is to short to be useful.

Total fail.  -5 of 5 stars.

• Like 2