• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hamburger Buns

rotuts

Recently I went to 5 Guys and a while before that to ShakeShack.

at SS the buns surface was not dry , as they were at 5 guys , but seem to be lightly coated with something 

that dramatically added to the SS's burger appeal.

this might have been butter , hamburger jus from the grill or what ever.

I have not been to InNOut in a while and can't remember if the buns were dry or coated.

has anyone noticed the ' coated ' buns elsewhere ?

think a shinny bun.

I don't think it was steam , but something w flavor.

McD  has a dry bun.

that's all I can say.

if you have had such a coated bun , where did you have it and what do you think the coating was ?

if you've only had dry buns , well , this topic might seem strange to you.

Edited by rotuts (log)

There is a very good video of a shake shack burger being made here:

Basically the bun is cut, not in two, opened up, and has a very thin layer of butter applied before being toasted.

Edited by nickrey (log)

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

thank you @nickrey 

I thought I was hallucinating 

I was going to have to go back there for a review and some pics

N.B.:  the cheese is melted and the bun toasted   w a little butter on the top

this makes a big difference  

In the video it looks like its some sort of heated roller with butter on it that he brushes the melted butter on the bottom of the buns, but then it goes into some really fast searing roller that probably has butter residue on the rollers that makes the top of the bun shiny and i am sure adds flavor.

• Like 1

@FeChef 

exactly so.

and it has fantastic mouth appeal.

Ive had buns like this only at 2 0r 3 other places  and they were not chains

what a difference details like this makes the whole thing better.

and of course the melted cheese.

6 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@FeChef 

exactly so.

and it has fantastic mouth appeal.

Ive had buns like this only at 2 0r 3 other places  and they were not chains

what a difference details like this makes the whole thing better.

and of course the melted cheese.

I bet it taste great but i would have issue with the bun getting grease on my hands while holding it. I have no issue with the inside of the bun being greasy from the butter toasting. Ironically for the same reason i eat grilled cheese sandwiches with a fork and knife and usually dip the cut pieces in tomato soup. (its actually the only way i will eat grilled cheese is w/tomato soup.

the coating is minimal , just enough for mouth-feel

I think its just enough to counter-act a dry mouth-feel of the outer bun W/O it

I doubt i could reproduce this at home.

Edited by rotuts (log)

6 hours ago, FeChef said:

I bet it taste great but i would have issue with the bun getting grease on my hands while holding it. I have no issue with the inside of the bun being greasy from the butter toasting. Ironically for the same reason i eat grilled cheese sandwiches with a fork and knife and usually dip the cut pieces in tomato soup. (its actually the only way i will eat grilled cheese is w/tomato soup.

It's probably one of the least greasy burgers I've ever had. I think the butter is only on the inside. Having the buns not fully cut through acts as a trap for anything that may dribble out. Unfortunately I had to travel to New York to try them as they have not come to Australia as yet. I've been trying to replicate the burger at home but not having Martin's potato rolls makes it very difficult.

My eG Foodblog

@nickrey, why would you want to replicate something like Martins potato rolls? Maybe I missed something in the above thread, but the rolls you mention are chemically induced time bombs for the human. Or am I being an idiot? As far as I am concerned, anything that is called "bread" should not contain any chemicals that make it appear fresh and edible a month or two after being baked, or should I rather use the term "manufactured".

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

Because of texture and properties related to juice absorption. If I can get the same outcome in a home made product, so much the better.

I also sear steaks, which creates a well-known and totally proven carcinogen; same for char on vegetables (via benzopyrene) if you are thinking vegetarianism protects you. Raw vegetables may be good, but watch out for pesticides. Organic, perhaps, but what was in the soil previously? Even water is a known killer if you drink too much of it.

I eat these type of buns rarely, less than "in moderation," and have yet to hear of someone exploding with such a time bomb inside them.

Surely it's better to rail against sugar, which is natural but more surely addictive slow-burn (or fast-burn depending on how you look at it) killer.

My eG Foodblog