• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pirate Joe's is no more

Anna N

Click.

The Canadian version of Trader Joe's which existed on the West Coast for five years is closed for good.   Facing a lengthy court case, the owner decided to throw in the towel.

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

Decision

Related articles:  WSJ, NYT and Guardian

Thank you.  So, in my incredibly inexpert opinion, although there's a jurisdictional issue in play, the real problem is the fact that the items were transported without the strict controls that TJ's might impose.

In the worst case, someone could be trying to sell a rotting TJ product in Canada - represented as something you might buy at TJs..

The claims concerning brand confusion, to me, are silly given that they spend so much effort emphasizing the 'pirate' nature of the business.

But I wonder about the knock on effects of any importer without the explicit approval of the manufacturer.

• Like 2