• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Meatloaf sandwiches

lindag

I made an awesome meat loaf yesterday, my favorite recipe from CI.

now that I want to make sandwiches I wonder what all I should put on them.

i generally use just mayo, mustard and a pinch of salt.

what do you put on yours?

That CI recipe (the one in The Best Recipe?) is my go-to as well, although I skip the bacon and the bbq sauce-like glaze. 

Sandwich:

• Soft-ish white bread (an assertively textured crust doesn't play well with ground meat)
  • Mayo only. Be generous. No mustard.
  • The meatloaf is pretty well seasoned, but a night in the fridge mutes salt, so yeah, a fine sprinkle.
  • Lots of black pepper. No, more than that.
  • As important as all of those things, the meatloaf slices need to have the chill taken off of them. If you can stand to wait, let them come to room temperature.
  • Like 3

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

I'll grill a slice of meatloaf along with some buttered white bread. Salt and pepper, and ... I may lose my eG membership for this but.... a slice of American cheese.

• Like 2

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

I go for a whole lot of crust. I fry those slices until they're begging for mercy. I don't want them burned but I want that outside layer as crunchy as I can get it short of burning. Then I toss it on bread with bbq sauce or mustard (or, even better, South Carolina style mustard bbq sauce if I happen to have a batch made) or sometimes hot sauce, depending on my mood at the time. 

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

@lindag  is that the bacon wrapped meat loaf recipe with the tangy sauce?

Yes, Elsie, however I use the recipe made in the meatloaf drip pan and I omit the bacon.

• Like 1

Mayo. A good, melty cheese (like Brie). I would not be averse, as someone upthread mentioned, to frying the slices to get a good crust, but it's generally more effort than I want to expend. Wrap the whole thing loosely in foil and give it a few minutes in the toaster oven to barely crisp up the bread and melt the cheese down into all the meat crevices. Bread and butter pickles on the side.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I've tried mayo, it doesn't work for me. I'm not the greatest meatloaf enthusiast to begin with. I generally find it to be unexciting so mayo just makes it seem (for me) like rich, creamy unexciting... which somehow comes across as worse than ordinary unexciting. I need something that wakes it up, adds a bit of zing and excitement. Even then, once or twice a year is plenty to take care of my meatloaf fix.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Toast - basic white bread, mayo, a little ketchup, lettuce and a slice of meatloaf, preferably, but now impossibly, made by my mother. This is a childhood special that I recreate often. 

• Like 1

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

I'm not a big meatloaf lover but my neighborhood BBQ place does a smoked meatloaf that makes an excellent sandwich. 

The slices have a nice crust around the edges but moist in the middle.

I usually get 3 sliders:  tri-tip, pulled pork and smoked meatloaf and the meatloaf is always the one I wish there was more of!

• Like 1

Mayo (I use Miracle Whip :o xD) mixed with some prepared horseradish.
My SIL makes my mom's recipe for meatloaf and she says she hates that my brother automatically slathers it with horseradish.

Hey, it's how we were raised! :B

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

On 6/7/2017 at 2:24 PM, lindag said:

I made an awesome meat loaf yesterday, my favorite recipe from CI.

now that I want to make sandwiches I wonder what all I should put on them.

i generally use just mayo, mustard and a pinch of salt.

what do you put on yours?

Ketchup. Do you eat the meatloaf sandwich cold? If it were hot, it's best open-faced with hot brown gravy (mushroom gravy optional) and a hill of mashed potatoes on the side. Different options for different tastes and times.

Edited by Panosmex
spelling (log)
  • Like 3
Buen provecho, Panosmex

22 minutes ago, Panosmex said:

Ketchup. Do you eat the meatloaf sandwich cold? If it were hot, it's best open-faced with hot brown gravy (mushroom gravy optional) and a hill of mashed potatoes on the side. Different options for different tastes and times.

I've never tried my sandwiches hot.  Something for me to try.  Lord knows I have plenty of leftovers.

I'm inspired now. I must make some meatloaf. All beef or partly pork? The ground beef we get here in Mexico tends to be too lean. I can get more fat content when I can convince our local butchers that's what I really want. But usually I'll mix in about 30-50% ground pork. At times (while still in the U.S.) I've used bulk breakfast sausage for the pork.

The bread crumbs  type also has a significant effect on the finished moisture.

Buen provecho, Panosmex

fresh sourdough bread   if not so fresh toast a lilttle

lettuce , mayo ( oddly not too much )  tomato

tart thin pickle or thinly sliced pickled green tomato  

horseradish of your choice. mustard ?

bread is very important      find something you like

meatloaf cold / room temp might need  more seasoning than hot

cut the meatloaf thick.

you can let it get to room temp , but you might in the mean time starve to death looking at it.

Ive successfully used the defrost cycle on the Mirco very very carefully to bring ML ( and other refrigerated things )  to room temp

before I starve.  hard to ruin a ML sandwich if the meatloaf is good and the bread of your choice is fresh  

it more or less seasoned Roast Beef  pre-ground up.

so let a RBS  guide you

ice cold beer in a frosty glass helps if the MLS is ' peppery "

Edited by rotuts (log)

I didn't think of the hot & open faced version: that one would always come with a fried egg (sunny side up) on top and cornichons & home fries on the side ... "Strammer Max"

To me, a warm meatloaf sandwich is tastier than a cold one with all the congealed fat. Counter-intuitively, I need to add more fat to a cold meatloaf sandwich than a warm one. Warm needs at least ketchup, cold needs more... Russian...although warm is better with Russian too.

The place I used to work heated them in the salamander, then spread them with a paste made of sun-dried tomatoes and covered the paste with a slice of Swiss. We'd slide it back under the salamander to melt the cheese, then serve it on grilled sourdough. 

It was a good sandwich, I remember it very fondly and re-create it at home whenever I make meatloaf. 

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

16 hours ago, Panosmex said:

The bread crumbs  type also has a significant effect on the finished moisture.

For the crumbs, I use crushed saltines as suggested by CI.  Easier to do than processing your own bread, as well.  Someone told me they had a meatloaf where Ritz crackers had been used, they loved it.