• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Knife Sharpening Dilemma

Porthos

I have become reasonable proficient at producing good sharp edges when I sharpen knives. I have commented elsewhere about putting an edge on new knives because I can do better than factory-sharp (western knives).

My daughter and SIL gave his mother a set of the International Henckel knives that were being sold at Costco. My daughter, who cooks at her MIL's house a lot, and SIL said that the knives need a new edge. Here is my dilemma. I know my daughter's MIL well. She is a past member of our guild at the Southern ren faire I do and she did a year as part of the cooking team a few years ago. She is not a particularly careful person and lives alone. I am not sure I want to put knives as sharp as I produce in her hands. I haven't talked to my daughter of SIL about this yet because, even though we live under one roof, we haven't had much face time lately.  So: 1) do I put new edges on her knives and tell her to be very careful, 2) get feedback from my daughter and SIL about my concerns, or 3) go with my gut and decline to sharpen them because I don't trust L with really sharp knives. Your thoughts? Thanks in advance for the help and reality check this should provide for me.

p.s. This daughter turned 30 last month and her main gift was a Zwilling Henkels 4-star 8" chef's knife. She prefers 8".

• Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Id go with :

2) get feedback from my daughter and SIL about my concerns

after  2)

you can improve the edge  w/o turning them into scalpels  , i.e. EdgePro-ing them

• Like 1

I do use my Edge Pro. I don't know if I know enough to put less of an edge on knives than I do. Serious. I am not sure what I would do differently.

• Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

1 minute ago, mgaretz said:

Common wisdom is that a dull knife is more dangerous than a sharp one.

Under most circumstances I wouldn't argue with you. But I sharpened some paring knives without telling the person who often used them and she cut herself.  And this was someone who prides herself on keeping her chef's knife sharp.  So it depends.   Most of us cut on the cutting board but not all of us!   Some will still peel a potato or other vegetable using nothing but their hands and a knife.   I guess I am just saying it is worth consulting before assuming.

@rotuts

Wouldn't be without my ceramic "steels".

• Like 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

indeed.

however  Id like to suggest this :

decent technique w the knife would advert most danger

W/O  that decent technique  :   you get a dangerous situation

with a dull knife  , as above   

you get a certain amount of damage.

that same person with their same technique  

and a razor sharp knife

would cause more damage , and indeed perhaps significant damage ?

however , once done

much easier  to repair as  the edges of the damage are so  sharp and clean

but who wants to spend 12 hrs +++   getting their finger tip  , which they cut off

surgically put back on ?

that's at least a nice lunch and dinner

lost forever.

• Like 1

My grandmother

used to peel veg.  in her own hand  the the knife cutting against her L thumb  

she held the veg in her L hand

an d peeled w her R hand against her L thumb

this was a long time ago

but I did see , as, well I was 4 years old or so :

she had an impressive L thumb  from all the scar tissue.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, rotuts said:

My grandmother

used to peel veg.  in her own hand  against her L thumb  

this was a long time ago

but I did see , as, well 4 years old or so 

she and an impressing L thumb  from all the scar tissue.

After all these years I can still picture my grandmother's thumb with its multiple vertical lines.  And I know there are still people who trap a loaf of bread under their arm and slice it that way!  

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

6 minutes ago, dcarch said:

I am not convinced. 

I have not been able to find studies to show.

dcarch

I cannot point you to any studies but I know from personal experience that a dull knife will slip before it grabs and I have a few scars to prove it.  

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

the point being on damage w poor knife technique

I think there are very few people w

both not so sharp knives

[ lets call them the " Index " ]

and ultra sharp knives

the two injuries  they might get with A and B

would solve the problem

studying them  would confirm 

what Ever

Edited by rotuts (log)

I have been cut by dull knives, and I have been cut by sharp knives. I can tell you that sharp knives can do much more damage.

You hear about anecdotal experiences:

" Doctors in emergency rooms see more accidents caused by dull knives."

Well, experienced cooks tend to have sharper knives, and better knife skills. It seems to me that is why you don't see more sharp knife accidents.

dcarch

A couple of years ago I misplaced (read lost in the house somewhere) the ceramic hone that came with my Edge Pro. Reading the responses here spurred me on the replace it. I ordered the 10" with the wooden handle.

I am going to talk with my daughter and SIL but I think the idea of a touch-up with the hone has the most appeal to me.

• Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Just warn her. People figure it out. She'll probably cut herself a couple of times by bumping against the edge, but these cuts from "too sharp knives" are usually minor league. 

Dull knives cut people by forcing them to use a lot of force ... and then if something slips, the knife is moving with a lot of speed and can cause really nasty and deep cut. 

I think the bigger issue is the longevity of the edges. There's no use handing someone a very sharp edge that's going to get damaged after 5 minutes of use. If you're sharpening for someone who has neither excellent knife skills nor excellent sharpening skills, the emphasis should be on a functional, durable edge that's easy to maintain. This can mean a relatively obtuse bevel angle, or a thin angle with very obtuse microbevel on one side. In either case, how you choose to set the bevel will determine how you teach her to maintain the edge. 

I see zero benefit in just dong a bad job (or sabotaging a good job) in the name of safety. 

Edited by paulraphael (log)
  • Like 4

Notes from the underbelly

1 hour ago, paulraphael said:

...  how you choose to set the bevel will determine how you teach her to maintain the edge.

L has no idea that my daughter and SIL want me to put new edges on her knives. She is out of state at the moment.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

this is not just s wonderful "" forum ""

its a forum that from time to time over thinks

that's good if you've been here for a while .............

but

the OP wants to improve a few knives for someone that 

doesn't understand them very much 

Im sure she understand you use them to  "" Cut ""

but not much more

Id ask 

@Porthos

to ask his daughter 

what does the the Mother think about this ?

if you change her system of cooking

a nice idea

then you have to move her along to a different system :

hand-knife technique 

the right cutting board etc

why not do  the whole Picture /

then again 

it may or not be the best Global Picture

for the Mother.

• Like 2

If the mother likes the knives and they work for HER then that should be the end of the story! Daughter can bring her own knives or not cook.

p

You have all given me a lot to think about.

At this point I need to talk with my daughter and SIL but that can't happen until probably next Monday as they are house sitting for L while she is out of state. Their work schdule makes a phone call difficult, and doesn't really allow me to talk with them at the same time.

• Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

I've been reading this thread and following the points of view.  Some of my knives are sharp by my standards, though probably not all that sharp by eGullet standards.  Some of my knives are intentionally less sharp.  If someone came into my kitchen and changed the angle of my knives or otherwise messed with them I would be bent all out of shape.

On the other hand, if someone I trusted offered to sharpen certain of my knives to a razor edge, I would probably be most grateful.

Respect your mother-in-law.  Offer to sharpen her knives.  Most likely she will be pleased and grateful.  Otherwise it is like replacing someone's dilithium crystals with Folger's crystals.

• Like 6

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

My mom has a set of nice Cutco's but for most slicing and cutting in her kitchen, she uses a knife she bought in some generic Dollar store. The knife edge on it is quite dull and I get frustrated when I grab it instead of the Cutco version. I ask her why she uses it when it doesn't cut, and she replied that she liked the way it fits in her arthritic hands.

I agree with Mark who said:

On 6/6/2017 at 0:16 PM, mgaretz said:

Common wisdom is that a dull knife is more dangerous than a sharp one.

Now to get my older brother to put an edge on it sooner rather than later before something happens...

edited to add: Porthos, I would vote to put an edge on the knives. 

Edited by Toliver
clarity (log)

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver