• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch for Two

A well dressed 1.46kg Hamour on a bed of Cilantro - Onions - Garlic - Ginger - Hot Red Peppers - Lime and Lemon Shavings - Lime Juice - S&P - EVOO - Aleppo Pepper.

Wrapped in foil and baked.

Served with boiled potatoes + Cumin and Coriander powder

Accompanied with an Avocado and Pomegranate seeds salad with a dressing of Mustard + Lemon + EVOO + S&P.

Washed down with a Gavi di Gavi

WmwxJzi.jpg

And dessert Arabic Coffee with Arabic Sweets. In this instance, Maamoul Madd Fustok. Which is Pistachio sandwiched Semolina dough.

y4JjODq.jpg

Edited by Nicolai (log)
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, cakewalk said:

Boy, that's a lotta cake for two people! How does the semolina get so beautifully browned? Do you by any chance have a recipe to share? 

Indeed, this is not for one seating but enjoyed over a period of few days.

I do not have a recipe as I did not bake them. These were ordered by the powers that be for her friends coffee morning.

As a matter of fact she ordered a whole variety of full trays just in case they go out of fashion  :B

In reality, most of the quantities goes to charities as it is Ramadan month in the Middle East. We keep a small plate for us to nibble on.

Mabroumeh Pistachios

vc5zkGT.jpg

Mabroumeh Cashews

4whSi5i.jpg

Edited by Nicolai (log)
  • Like 3

That is really something, very beautiful.

Is there any particular custom in terms of when public food establishments can open during Ramadan? Are there any restrictions at all? I guess it must differ by country, but I am curious about it. 

8 minutes ago, cakewalk said:

That is really something, very beautiful.

Is there any particular custom in terms of when public food establishments can open during Ramadan? Are there any restrictions at all? I guess it must differ by country, but I am curious about it. 

It is beautiful but even more beautiful when it melts in the mouth and crunches under the teeth oozing the syrup. 

It does differ from one country and one city to the other.

• Like 1