• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

About 10X and other powdered sugars

xxchef

I wonder what isomalt and a little white chocolate would do... I have both but nothing that would pulverize them as well as that.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Just now, Tri2Cook said:

I wonder what isomalt and a little white chocolate would do... I have both but nothing that would pulverize them as well as that.

Do you think isomalt would pulverize that well? Would it look white when it was?

@Kerry Beal Thanks! Wonderful experiment. I might have to get a Sumeet!

I tried a formula yesterday. Pulverized some sugar in the hotmix, added dextrose and combined on high speed. Drizzled from the top melted cocoa butter on low, mixed on high then added a drop of limoncello. Sift.

Formula was: powdered sugar 75.2%, dextrose 15%, melted cocoa butter 9%, vanilla alcohol 0.8%

It came pretty coarse, so that I used my sifter with larger net  and could not control well the amount of sugar but anyway came very patchy, might be fine on a fruit tart but not on my cake with a pattern on top. I will try again today using my regular 10X with starch in it and see what happens.

5937ca68052bc_sugarexperiment.thumb.JPG.cc09aa465af582c9c8c04cd4e0154090.JPG

Edited by Franci (log)

On 6/4/2017 at 7:22 PM, JeanneCake said:

Could you investigate this product? I don't know if European sugar producers use starch in the powdered sugar or not; it's worth checking out.

http://www.coupletsugars.com/page/coated_icing_sugar/f1.html

And,thinking out of the box, you could use this fondant powder instead of the dusting sugar, so long as it doesn't melt in humid conditions..... (the glucose has virtually no traces of gluten even though it comes from wheat starch - I ran into this with Pate de Fruit,and it turns out glucose is ok.

http://www.coupletsugars.com/page/fondant_powder/f1.html

@JeanneCake I got in touch with them. Great customer service! They will provide me with samples and their distributor in the US is just starting importing their product. If it works my only concern is that I might be too small to meet their minimum requirements but they seem to be willing to accommodate me.

They sent me specifications for the products. If anybody is interested feel free to pm me and I'll pass along all info by email.

And if this doesn't work, I might need to buy a Sumeet :biggrin:

Edited by Franci (log)
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Do you think isomalt would pulverize that well? Would it look white when it was?

No idea. I've rarely worked with it at all, much less tried to attempt something like this with it. Looks like your experiment is holding up nicely. If that's going to work, isomalt would be silly anyway. Just added cost.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/9/2017 at 9:26 AM, Docrjm said:

Kerry,

i have blitzed isomalt in a vitamix. Powders imho very well and looks white. No pics as it was a month or so ago when making a cornbread

I was just about to suggest this, without having tried it. Makes sense. Surprising they don't make a fine-powdered isomalt.

Notes from the underbelly

• 5 years later...
7 hours ago, TdeV said:

@Kim Shook, the recipe lists a stray 1/2 cup of something; could you please say what?

Also, what is 10X sugar?

Sorry!  I never noticed that I left that out!  I've asked my MIL and will fix it and let you know as soon as I hear from her.  

And 10X is confectioner's sugar.  

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

I never noticed that I left that out!  I've asked my MIL and will fix it and let you know as soon as I hear from her.

I think it’s the half cup of warm water for the yeast. 

• Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Martha says:

"Did you ever wonder what the "10x" on the label means? It refers to the number of times the sugar is processed and milled—in this case, 10! Confectioners' sugar, on the other hand, is powdered sugar with starch added, to prevent it from caking as it sits.Nov 4, 2020"

• Thanks 1