• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocdoc - Escapes to Educate in Erie

Two years ago @Alleguede and I stopped in at a chocolate shop in Erie PA, while we were on our way to the PMCA, at the request of the owner. He and his daughters had recently taken over this shop that had been an Erie landmark for about 80 years. 

I have been providing suggestions, advice and the odd recipe via phone call and e-mail since then. 

I was asked to come down again for a couple of days to teach some new techniques to the staff, perhaps work on some recipe development and to help rewrite their recipes in such a way that all staff members have the same information to work with (to say they are cryptic would be an understatement).

This came with the invite - "Lastly, I would like to extend to you the offer of staying at my home if you would so desire, but keep in mind if you want peace and quiet for your stay this might not be  the answer - 150# French Mastiff, 100# English Bulldog that craves attention, 20# French Bulldog(lives next door) that visits every day is extremely obnoxious and full of piss and vinegar, an 18 year old pug who visits as he lives just across the street, 4 grandsons, & 5 granddaughters - can be pretty hectic so the choice is yours, we would love to have you." "P.S.  There is also my Aunt (89 Years Old) and her companion(90+ year old top of the line Surgeon in his day) that often visits since they just live across the street." How could I possibly turn down an invitation like that!

I stopped in Buffalo to have breakfast and do a little last minute shopping with @patris.

We had breakfast at The Howling Rooster. The waitress, when we finally caught her eye, mentioned that the kitchen was 'in the weeds'! And they clearly were.

IMG_2089.jpg.af7b6a8a00c2baee3855e2e4a7e2a9ca.jpg

Potato pancakes for @patris

IMG_2092.jpg.396dded95aad2509f0fd08c9723cab85.jpg

Taco omelet for me.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, patris said:

How was the spaghetti?

Damn good! Ate way too much and I'm suffering for it now - but I avoided the cake, fruit salad, ice cream bars and anything else that was offered after dinner except a cuppa.

IMG_2093.jpg.67ad92f022679582aee3bac84c03cdc9.jpg

IMG_2094.jpg.d55ba1ff4228980376f9d4bec9460653.jpg

IMG_2096.jpg.f5afad7cc54b305022b78594c6e3ba18.jpg

Pot too heavy to lift!

IMG_2112.jpg.267c04f6baa4988105c21a9cc4de0813.jpg

• Like 8

IMG_2100.jpg.d1eb5fe9db7d473ce95755adc5ab878e.jpg

French - the mastiff, Jasper - english bulldog

IMG_2103.jpg.e3aa3bdccf46c760ce4918d2ae0c9bdc.jpg

Gizmo from next door - after supper when his owners had taken him home - he wandered back over through the hole in the fence - stopped in for a bite of leftover pasta - headed back home out the dog door.

IMG_2102.jpg.1e795555d245df86188f22b21cfbabe5.jpg

The newest addition - didn't catch the name. 

IMG_2108.jpg.ca400baebd8b36424538fb6144d0fb9d.jpg

Refuses to think of himself as little!

I'm sitting on the bed with my computer, back propped against pillows - can hear snoring in the hall. Won't be surprised if Jasper is in my bed tonight. 

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 12

The youngun' is obviously suffering from 3rd child syndrome....when the 3rd child thinks that they are  as large as the older two and can keep up!.

Are you heading straight up to Buffalo or working your way around the bottom of Erie?

Just asking  because would love to see you check out beef on weck at Schwabl's if you are going through Buffalo.....check out the buffalo farm down in Edinboro, PA....or maybe some walleye if you hit Port Clinton OH..

I would kill for that spaghetti and gravy........

• Like 2

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

4 hours ago, Alleguede said:

Oh I feel this might have been a bad idea - please refer to Airbnb website next time.

Huh? What are you talking about? Did Kerry give you any indication she was troubled by her decision?

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

5 hours ago, gfweb said:

Never been to Erie, but I've been puzzled by the apparent lack of restaurants , at least on Open Table. Is it devoid of sit-down restaurants?

I don't have the knowledge to address your restaurant question directly, but you might get some insight by reading the  posts and articles James Fallows has written about the city as part of his American Futures series in The Atlantic. Here's the most recent one, with links to six others in the body of the story.

Edited by Alex
to correct sloppy writing (log)
  • Like 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

2 hours ago, Alex said:

Huh? What are you talking about? Did Kerry give you any indication she was troubled by her decision?

I strongly suspect you are just looking from the outside at an inside joke. :D

• Like 3

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

31 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

On second look, yeah, you're probably right. Thanks.

12 hours ago, suzilightning said:

The youngun' is obviously suffering from 3rd child syndrome....when the 3rd child thinks that they are  as large as the older two and can keep up!.

Are you heading straight up to Buffalo or working your way around the bottom of Erie?

Just asking  because would love to see you check out beef on weck at Schwabl's if you are going through Buffalo.....check out the buffalo farm down in Edinboro, PA....or maybe some walleye if you hit Port Clinton OH..

I would kill for that spaghetti and gravy........

I'm down in Buffalo fairly often to visit @patris - I've had beef on a weck in a few places - not Schwabl's as I recall. Not a huge fan of the weck bun itself for some reason - love the beef though.

12 hours ago, gfweb said:

Never been to Erie, but I've been puzzled by the apparent lack of restaurants , at least on Open Table. Is it devoid of sit-down restaurants?

I think it has it's share of chains - beyond that I'm not too sure.

7 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:

Indeed - @Alleguede and I have been communicating throughout!

Greeted this am by another daughter's animals - 17 year old pug, 18 year old cat. Daughter has been buying the small bags of dog food for 3 years now!

IMG_2114.jpg.c314f60378c8cbed9ce68157d1db62ec.jpg

IMG_2116.jpg.0dc5b716d1dd295072063f3a31b49dc0.jpg

• Like 4

Off to the shop we go.

I suggested a Fuji airbrush and that we would need something to keep the Fuji and perhaps cocoa butter warm.  Also that a spray booth would be helpful.

IMG_2120.jpg.9780895b9b9f92abae407ddfde21e49d.jpg

IMG_2122.jpg.378c895c8fcf2e4a5b16b70f7860dc38.jpg

We got to work - first up some heart molds that we did with gold splatter and pink behind. Apparently I didn't take a picture.

Next we made some hand painted then sprayed molds. We also made a transfer sheet that hopefully we'll get to play with tomorrow.

I've been thinking for a while that my flattening the top of fillings with cornstarch is perhaps not a good idea in view of labelling issues with allergens like corn - so when I mentioned this to the women I was teaching - they came back with - tamping down with a chocolate covered finger works as well as cornstarch - so I put them to work proving it. 

IMG_2124.jpg.196232f3bc5eafe5b19868b60d008eb0.jpg

IMG_2138.jpg.3d20a88404d9856606f3e8ed59bcb69f.jpg

IMG_2139.jpg.e7187ce3cda13c5371d44d32237dc799.jpg

I played a bit with some little round stamp like sponges.

• Like 6

So it was the business owners birthday today - so he got to take myself, his wife and 3 daughters out for lunch. "You like Chinese?" they asked? "Indeed" I replied.

Very satisfactory food (in spite of most of the menu being Japanese).

IMG_2130.jpg.f9cc9961493a45273256bd1c58266f84.jpg

I had red thai curry. the rest of the pics are a random assortment of everyone else's lunches.

IMG_2127.jpg.65aa87ce3561a41dc1721954ca51422b.jpg

IMG_2128.jpg.40a3159eed9a5f1caf75b26073e2d029.jpg

IMG_2131.jpg.8999721ccb419ddcaf894b0345cb68cc.jpg

IMG_2134.jpg.95a46c2cd157a4b45b6c1935580179bf.jpg

IMG_2132.jpg.0872eee36c65ae95968de36ad6f081cf.jpg

IMG_2134.jpg.95a46c2cd157a4b45b6c1935580179bf.jpg

IMG_2133.jpg.62c8f651e9c7ddfa687b540617635317.jpg

How quickly they learn - that the sooner I get my picture - the sooner they can eat!

IMG_2135.jpg.c0c35a2cbb2453f9951d742ade0f36a1.jpg

Birthday boy gets ice cream, brought by singers and a drummer!

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 8

IMG_2143.jpg.a3c59e11b1b1334f2a99a78e656028b4.jpg

Cookie butter gianduja.

A stop on the way home at an interesting restaurant supply that I had seen on the drive out to their house yesterday. Left without any purchases.

Some interesting items among the used stuff.

IMG_2144.jpg.e28061413763133dec0e3486f8abea0a.jpg

Original Hobart. 

IMG_2145.jpg.85cf6896fedf060b68fb6ee571123632.jpg

A little cuppa - my size!

• Like 7

Dinner tonight at Crackerbarrel.

IMG_2146.jpg.49ea361b282f7e063b0bfd12c68e72df.jpg

Beans and greens for me.

IMG_2147.jpg.0049bfbd8766d645a50199aa4bbc5e2d.jpg

Breakfast for dinner.

IMG_2148.jpg.8d7d99aae3feb5675c04a6133df185b5.jpg

IMG_2151.jpg.55262eef473de911d42923b74bcead84.jpg

Catfish and all the other stuff that came with it!

• Like 2

@alex yes much so inside joke... I admit working on my sarcasm is in progress however just teasing my crazy chocolate Doctor. Seems like her diet (she refus s to eat my products) is also being questioned on this trip...

sounds like fun. When you coming home... You be been gone for too long. I miss you.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Alex said:

Hi I m Rodney. Picture a pineapple just ripe. Prickly outside, a pain in the ass to peel but oh so sweet. Indeed, as selfish as it seems inside joke and "teasing" was implied towards Kerry. I know she's not troubled  However maybe I might have a back of the head snack able say on this :-) Right Anna! 

Ok goodnight lol

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Alleguede said:

Hi I m Rodney. Picture a pineapple just ripe. Prickly outside, a pain in the ass to peel but oh so sweet. Indeed, as selfish as it seems inside joke and "teasing" was implied towards Kerry. I know she's not troubled  However maybe I might have a back of the head snack able say on this :-) Right Anna! 

Ok goodnight lol

Yep, crusty on the outside but soft as a downy pillow inside. Frequently deserving of a smack across the back of the head but like me and many others, would leap through burning hoops for @Kerry Beal (she who cannot pass by any four-legged animal without stopping for some lovin').

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

23 hours ago, suzilightning said:

Just asking  because would love to see you check out beef on weck at Schwabl's if you are going through Buffalo...

I have been making Kimmelweck Rolls for years using this recipe.

They are wonderful, the most flavorful rolls ever, family and friends love them!

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, lindag said:

I have been making Kimmelweck Rolls for years using this recipe.

They are wonderful, the most flavorful rolls ever, family and friends love them!

Since I can't get weck rolls east of Syracuse, I've been making them myself for years.  My recipe comes from the Stern's book and includes potato boiling water as well as mashed potatoes and the caraway seeds in the dough itself.  Now I'm experimenting with 1:1 replacement flour.

• Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites