• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

PBS American Masters

rotuts

Thanks for this.  We will tape the Jacques Pepin one tomorrow morning. Haven't found the others yet, we get PBS Watertown.  We can call shows up on our phones and tablets and then watch them on our TV but in this case, we are told we can't due to country restrictions.  So this may be the only one we can watch unless we can find the others.  WPBS does not have a search function.

if you get PBS ' Over the Boarder '

Ill try to look into repeats of this show.

Im sure there will be some , perhaps in the SD version.

I had the feeling that the shows were only available for USA Consumption

which is too bad.

• Like 1

We watched the one on Jacques Pepin last night.  That was really, really interesting.  @rotuts, thanks for bringing these shows to our attention.  We just need to find the shows on Alice Waters and Julia Child.

Thanks for posting about these.  I've always enjoyed Jacques Pepin, he seems so calm and makes everything look so simple, has such a pleasant voice.  Though I'm confused, I could have sworn I watched JP on PBS in high school in the 80's but he didn't have his own shows until the 90's. 

I also enjoyed the Julia Child episode and the James Beard.  JB sounds a bit sketchy in some ways but he knew how to party.  I'll probably skip the Alice Waters one, I can't take too much of her.

Indeed , Im not a big fan of AW.

Berkeley  was not far from where I grew up . on the lower Peninsula around the Palo Alto area but 10 " West.

no matter .  the Chez did change things

and created a second if not third generation of completely American Cooks 

AKA  Jeremiah Tower

and others.  back then American was thought to to be OK

but not French

so if the AW ep shows up in your area , take a peak.

I can recommend some MR if you consider yourself a Reluctant Viewer.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1