• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Anna N

Anna N

1 hour ago, JohnT said:

@Anna N , out of interest, what do you pay for that 340g can? I go through quite a lot of baking soda (labled bicarbonate of soda here), as well as baking powder. Both are available in small cans in the supermarkets. However, I buy in 1 kg bags and pay aproximatly C$ 0.72 per kg for the soda and C$ 1.05 per kg for baking powder. Butter has doubled in price in the last 6 months from C$ 3.16 in December to C$ 6.32 for a 500g brick today!

I'm hoping someone else will jump in here. I bought that quite some time ago at Trader Joe's in the US and I don't get down there very often so I can't remember what I paid for it.  Arm and Hammer baking soda at my local supermarket is $2.99 a kilo and Magic Baking Powder is $6.99 for 450g.  I am absolutely certain I could get these cheaper if I shopped around. I only buy very small quantities of each of these so that they are fresh when I come to use them.  

The cheapest butter at the same supermarket is $6.29  for 454 g.  I try to wait for it to go on sale and then stock up.

Anna N

Anna N

1 hour ago, JohnT said:

@Anna N , out of interest, what do you pay for that 340g can? I go through quite a lot of baking soda (labled bicarbonate of soda here), as well as baking powder. Both are available in small cans in the supermarkets. However, I buy in 1 kg bags and pay aproximatly C$ 0.72 per kg for the soda and C$ 1.05 per kg for baking powder. Butter has doubled in price in the last 6 months from C$ 3.16 in December to C$ 6.32 for a 500g brick today!

1 hour ago, JohnT said:

1 hour ago, JohnT said:

I'm hoping someone else will jump in here. I bought that quite some time ago at Trader Joe's in the US and I don't get down there very often so I can't remember what I paid for it.  Arm and Hammer baking soda at my local supermarket is $2.99 a kilo and Magic Baking Powder is $6.99 for 450g.  I am absolutely certain I could get these cheaper if I shopped around. I only buy very small quantities of each of these so that they are fresh when I come to use them.  

The cheapest butter at the same supermarket is $6.29  for 454 g.  I try to wait for it to go on sale and then stock up.