• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Anna N

Anna N

17 minutes ago, JohnT said:

There is quite a high butter content in that recipe and thus I presume the cookies are meant to spread a bit due to this. As mentioned above by @pastrygirl, I would add some more flour to keep a higher profile. Also, this may sound like a dumb question, but are you sure you used baking soda and not BP or forgot to add the soda? I would have imagined a bit more browning evident from baking soda than what your photograph shows. It will be interesting to see what happens next, although quite frustrating for you!

I definitely know I used baking soda simply because the can is now empty.:D  I suspect I over creamed the butter and then the butter and sugar and I'm not sure that any rescue is possible. These were top-of-the-line chocolate chips given to me just a couple of days ago so I'm going to at least attempt to add more flour and see what happens.   Stay tuned you will either see cookies or some words that you didn't think I knew.

Anna N

Anna N

11 minutes ago, JohnT said:

There is quite a high butter content in that recipe and thus I presume the cookies are meant to spread a bit due to this. As mentioned above by @pastrygirl, I would add some more flour to keep a higher profile. Also, this may sound like a dumb question, but are you sure you used baking soda and not BP or forgot to add the soda? I would have imagined a bit more browning evident from baking soda than what your photograph shows. It will be interesting to see what happens next, although quite frustrating for you!

I definitely know I used baking soda simply because the can is now empty.:D  I suspect I over creamed the butter and then the butter and sugar and I'm not sure that any rescue is possible. These were top-of-the-line chocolate chips given to me just a couple of days ago so I'm going to at least attempt to add more flour and see what happens.   Stay tuned you will need to see cookies or some words that you didn't think I knew.