• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

buona sera red bank?

thecips

I agree that dinner is quite noisy, but I've had many enjoyable lunches there. They often have a dish of porcini pappardelle pasta with porcini, portabella and morels in a wild mushroom sauce that is absolutely stunning. It's a beautiful dining room, especially if you get to eat there when it is snowing out.

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

Went to Buona Sera last night with my wife early (6:00) and had a very good experience, for a Saturday night. I say this because my only other times there have been midweek since I despise their reservation policy of 6 or more, and I can't imagine why anyone would jam themselves in a tiny bar area to wait an hour for a table anywhere. By the time we left around 8:00, people were standing on the stairs up to the second floor...insanity. But I digress....had cappellini and proscuitto wrapped shrimp with horseradish aioli to start which were quite good albeit a tad overcooked followed by an excellent double cut veal chop with porcini, portobello, and morels accompanied by and excellent 1995 Nardi Brunello. My wife being on the extremely pregnant side only managed a shrimp bisque and a few bites of the same veal chop before the full sign lit up.

We passed on dessert opting just for coffee. I have always enjoyed Buona Sera, but the busy atmosphere is something that has to be taken into consideration, as it is a factor. I would also opt for the downstairs dining room as upstairs can be a little claustrophobic and about 20 degrees warmer. Also, try to go midweek as this place is a real zoo on weekends. BTW only wound up there because we couldn't get a table at Sogno, or Angelica's in Sea Bright at ANY time...who says there is trouble with the economy!

Get your bitch ass back in the kitchen and make me some pie!!!

BTW only wound up there because we couldn't get a table at Sogno, or Angelica's in Sea Bright at ANY time...who says there is trouble with the economy!

Taboni -

when you have a moment, would you like to comment on Sogno's and Angelica's? Favorite items, BYO or no, etc

Thanks

Paul

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Unfortunately Buona Sera is not BYO, and although the wine was excellent, the general pricing of the wine list is a bit high for the area in my opinion, leaning more toward NYC prices. The 95 Nardi was $90 I believe, but I don't remember the exact price.

when you have a moment, would you like to comment on Sogno's and Angelica's?  Favorite items, BYO or no, etc

Unfortunately, I have not yet had the pleasure of dining at Angelica's although it has been high on my list of places to try since we moved down here a year ago, but we always seemed to get sidetracked. I thought I was going to get there yesterday, but hopefully I can report soon on that one. Sogno, however is one of my favorite places in the area. It is BYO as Rosie has often stated, although the savings on this front can quickly evaporate if you frequent the shop next door which has a very limited selection if you are looking for value. As far as dishes at Sogno, it has been a little while since I was last there, but I can fondly recall a wild mushroom crostini appetizer which was big enough to share around. I usually skip pasta courses, but others have recommended the arrabiata and the garganelli bolognese to me. As far as main courses go, I h enjoyed the braised short ribs in barolo ( I think I remember Rosie mentioning this one) as well as a marinated grilled pork chop which I really loved.

Unfortunately I wasn't so keen on the desserts although the biscotti they put in the doggie bag are really very good; it is a shame they don't just offer those with the coffee.

As far as non food related items, decorated in a warm Tuscan yellow, the room is narrow and long, and can be quite noisy, but not to the point of being obtrusive. I found the service, however to be hit and miss, which is disappointing given the prices charged.