• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Biggest and Best Induction Cooktop

Robenco15

Hey Everyone,

Wife and I are looking at homes to purchase and most we like have gas already in them and that's exactly what I want for the range. Already have a 36" Blue Star RNB 6 burner range picked out for when the time comes, but today we are actually looking at a house we really like that probably doesn't even have natural gas in the street. Electric stovetop there now that I would replace with an induction cooktop.

As I was looking at having a 6 burner range I was hoping to find a 6 burner induction cooktop. No luck so far.

I know you can buy induction units as single burners like the Mirage Pro, but I was hoping there would be something out there that would be more of a cooktop. Worst case I guess I buy something I like, like the Thermador Freedom induction top, and then buy 1 or 2 of the single induction tops when I need more than 4 pans.

Anyway, haven't had to think about induction until these past 24 hours and wanted to reach out for some insight.

Thank you so much and look forward to hearing some replies!

Friends who did a partial reno of their kitchen last year took out a 36" stove and replaced it with a Thermador induction cooktop.

I'm pretty sure it has 5 burners - I remember the middle one has concentric rings on the surface.  They put warming ovens below the cooktop. They were going to put in side-by-side wall ovens but for the present (then) were using countertop ovens until the other part of the kitchen was finished.

They also got the newest 600 CFM Thermador range hood.  

I just phoned and asked James how they like the cook top and he said it has been fantastic.  They have 4-year-old twins and wanted a safer cooktop than the gas range.  They have since installed the two ovens 

Edited by andiesenji (log)
  • Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

2 hours ago, andiesenji said:

Friends who did a partial reno of their kitchen last year took out a 36" stove and replaced it with a Thermador induction cooktop.

I'm pretty sure it has 5 burners - I remember the middle one has concentric rings on the surface.  They put warming ovens below the cooktop. They were going to put in side-by-side wall ovens but for the present (then) were using countertop ovens until the other part of the kitchen was finished.

They also got the newest 600 CFM Thermador range hood.  

I just phoned and asked James how they like the cook top and he said it has been fantastic.  They have 4-year-old twins and wanted a safer cooktop than the gas range.  They have since installed the two ovens 

Thank you so much Andie. I've been thinking of some conversations we had years ago about the BellaCopper diffusers that I wanted to eventually put over a gas range and use it as a warming area (somewhat like a French Top). Was looking forward to that until some issues with a house popped up and we are now looking at this other one.

However, there is a propane tank in the house, so I may just go ahead with the Blue Star and use the propane tank. I just can't see getting rid of my copper pans for induction. Makes me sad.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Have you searched on the AJ Madison website? They list a 36" Viking induction cooktop with 6 zones and a Dakor with 9 zones. Quite a few 5 element induction cooktops are also listed.  The biggest is a 42" Miele.

I did not go in depth into that site. That Viking looks great. Still looking for the Dakor. I did look at the Miele earlier. Thanks for your reply!

Probably this or something similar. If you really mean biggest and baddest!

The catch is that it requires 3-phase 208V power, which can be very expensive to have wired into a residence. But there's no other way you're going to have 6 truly big/bad hobs. 

3.5KW times 6 equals 21KW,  Equals 3-phase power, 208V, 60 Amperes.

Notes from the underbelly

this store is near me.  it has most if not all the high end stuff , and the staff is knowledgeable 

https://www.yaleappliance.com/cooking.aspx

I looked at induction there and combi-ovens  and go back from time to time.

i too have a large collection of copper from France.

https://blog.yaleappliance.com/wolf-vs-miele-induction-ranges

the Miele can be connected to your water supply for steam assist baking

its expensive

if it had true Combi Cooking    i.e. steam bake    I would have been tempted inspite of the price

and yes  y cooper pans would have found good homes.

If you plan on getting a very high end gas stove   ( BlueStar ) lets say

and plan to run it off a propane tank , make sure  you understand the difference between Propane out of a tank and

natural gas that's in the street.

BTU wise for something like the BlueStar and similar ranges.

good luck

We have a blue star that runs on LP gas. Works great.  You need a model that has the right regulator etc for LP gas.

The Blue Stars with the open burners just about clean themselves.

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 1

Alright. It's been a wild 2 days. Lots of stress and whatnot. Think (at least for now) I have my kitchen figured out. 

Doing a 30" induction cook top. Thinking a GE Profile is the one. I like that it has a bridge in it. I'm open to other opinions. Reliability and a bridge are important to me. 

The ability to link two burners together so that you can put a griddle down and evenly heat all of it. 

I'm also trying ro learn if in some it activates the entire area and therefore instead of a griddle I could fit say 3 small saucepans in the area to simmer together or something. 

• Like 1

I take it its this one ?

http://products.geappliances.com/appliance/gea-specs/CHP9530SJSS

looks very nice

is space an issue ?

this one

http://products.geappliances.com/appliance/gea-specs/CHP9536SJSS

doesn't cost that much more

Id consider it.   there is no going back after you have it installed.

Edited by rotuts (log)

While I agree with that philosophy, don't think I'll have the counter top space.

That is the cafe model. I may get the Profile model.

However I'm also looking at Miele and Bosch so we'll see.