• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolate Mint Ice Cream

Cronker

Hello

so, I have made a very nice chocolate mint ice cream, and it's now in my freezer.

im wondering what kind of "zing" I might bring to it for it's garnish?

i looked at most of the photos online and they all look like a sprig of mint and some shaved chocolate.  Umm  we have chocolate and mint already.

i don't want to confuse the flavours, though.

suggestions?

37 minutes ago, Cronker said:

Hello

so, I have made a very nice chocolate mint ice cream, and it's now in my freezer.

im wondering what kind of "zing" I might bring to it for it's garnish?

i looked at most of the photos online and they all look like a sprig of mint and some shaved chocolate.  Umm  we have chocolate and mint already.

i don't want to confuse the flavours, though.

suggestions?

I don't really think you can a beat sprig of mint and some shaved chocolate. But you might want to go out on a limb with some of the thin chocolate mint cookies or sticks that are available most places. I am sure somebody with more creative juices flowing will come up with something better. But there's nothing worse in my humble opinion than something that is on the plate but not in the dish. 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Homemade whipped cream would be nice.

You can add chocolate liqueur, crème de cacao or crème de menthe  which may be redundant given your ice cream flavor.

Then how about some Kahlua (coffee flavor) to add as an extra level of flavor?

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Try a couple of lines of thin-ish caramel sauce or dulce de leche applied with a squeezie bottle. Not too much! Chocolate mint pairs well with a touch of DDL.

• Like 1

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.