• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Do You ALWAYS Clean Your Kitchen As You Go?

Cronker

I enjoy walking into a clean kitchen in the morning and clean up as I go when cooking - as much as I can.  But I'm easily distracted by the cooking process, so sometimes I'm just messy.  I'm lucky in that the people I cook for are appreciative enough to do all the after meal cleanup.

I generally feel that a dishwasher is an enemy of the clean-as-you-go ethos, because for me the whole point is that I'm going need all this dirty stuff again, probably in 5 minutes. That means, cutting boards, pans, prep bowls, machine attachments, etc, in addition to work surfaces. Unless you're lucky enough to have a commercial Hobart that runs a load in 90 seconds, the dishwasher is like locking your tools into a vault. When I cook at my parents' house I practically have to put a lock on that thing to keep people from imprisoning my stuff. 

The dishwasher is fine for dishes ... after everyone's eaten. But this is called cleaning after you stop.

• Like 5

Notes from the underbelly

I do a lot of preparation work at home for cooking for fifty people plus. In a very small kitchen. Without cleaning up as I go, this could not happen.

• Like 1

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

2 hours ago, nickrey said:

I do a lot of preparation work at home for cooking for fifty people plus. In a very small kitchen. Without cleaning up as I go, this could not happen.

Likewise cooking multiple courses for four people.

Notes from the underbelly

I "more or less" clean as I go. Things I'll be re-using (ie, favorite knives) get washed right away. Small items I'm done with go to the dishwasher, large items get rinsed and stacked alongside the sink for later hand-washing. I wipe down and sanitize counters, and put away ingredients, as needed. The stack of stuff beside the sink may or may not get washed after the meal, depending on how I'm feeling. If I'm tired, or just plain have better things to do, I'll put off the hand-washing until after lunch the next day (mornings are writing time). 

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

I do, both work and home kitchens are/were small and cleaning as I go (especially the counters and cutting boards) help prevent cross contamination. I have always enjoyed knowing that the pots and pans were clean by the time it was time to eat. I gained more expertise when I attended culinary school -I used to pretend that I was in a competition and being watched or on camera and just trained myself to clean efficiently while cooking.

• Like 1