• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Red wine suggestions needed

BeeZee

I am looking for some ideas for a lighter red wine that would pair with grilled tuna steak which may be served with a mango salsa being brought by my friend (so I don't know how sweet or spicy it will be). That salsa is throwing me off. 

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

I'd be puzzled too.  Might a Gamay do the trick? It would be light and fruity; perhaps it would play well with the salsa. Otherwise I think I'd lean toward a GSM (Grenache/Syrah/Mourvedre) blend as it's a reliably good food companion in my book. I'll be watching this topic with interest and hoping someone with more pairing knowledge weighs in.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

shy not a rose w just a little sweetness in it ?

Ive been told that a little sweetness  in a wine goes w spicy food , that that would also cover a sl sweet sauce.

is there a TJ's near you ?   they seem to know more about their wines than most places.

Im sure you could get something nice enough for around 8 bucks

of course  chill the wine  : that covers many sins of wine < $ 15.00

Edited by rotuts (log)

I am a fan of Williams Selyem Pinot's with seared tuna (assuming some accompanying flavours and not just a high quality piece of seared tuna - solo).  It has also worked in some scenarios with a full flavored ceviche (similar to a mango salad....sort of), but ultimately I would prefer a white for that pairing.

A fruity Pinot might fit your bill.

Mark West Pinot seems to work well in settings like this. And I recently picked up a Bota Box dry rose that was respectable. Might not carry the tuna, though.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

thanks for the suggestions. My local TJ's does indeed have wine, so a trip is planned to see what they have. We also have a very nice wine store near my office that is a hidden secret (Moore Brothers Wine Co.), if I can un-bury myself on Thurs., I'll head over, as they are very knowledgeable. If I don't think I can find something suitable in a red, I'll just stick with white for dinner.

A pinot noir would be great with the tuna alone, but the problem, as you pointed out, is the salsa: fruit, vegetable, and acid (and, I assume, some seasoning). Great to cut through the fat and richness and char of the tuna, but bad for wine pairing. I'd abandon the notion of a red and instead go with the best sauvignon blanc you can find.

• Like 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I'm with Rotuts on this, a Rose would be perfect with the dish you describe, particularly if the wine has a bit of residual sweetness to cope with any heat in the salsa.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

I'm playing golf with our friend on Saturday, I'll see if he can give insight into the flavor profile. My bet is on not so spicy.

Hubby is a fan of vinho verde, so that's an easy one. And I do like the idea of the rose.

so as it turned out, our guest who made the salsa (not spicy, just sweet from mango) brought a Riesling which went well. I had some indeterminate red blend that we opened that was actually OK. There was some Prosecco as well. Hey, if someone brings it, it gets opened. But I think a rose would have been nice (will file away for future ref).

• Like 5

• 11 months later...