• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

OldHobo

OldHobo

correct grammar

1 hour ago, kayb said:

Don't know where to find them in Memphis...I would try a soul food place, maybe ask at Alcenia's on South Main or the Four Way Grill, whose address I disremember. Or you could head south to Helena, AR and visit the food truck in the parking lot if the Sears store on 49 N and get a batch of Pasquale's. Or go on down to Clarksdale, Miss., to Larry's or Abe's, or if you're staying on the west side of the river, my personal favorite, Rhoda's in Lake Village (get pie, too). If you go that far, do NOT fail to cross the river and have the tamales as an app for your steak at Doe's.

Thanks for the advice kayb. The local paper recently reported Larry's in Clarksdale closed but they reopened on N. Getwell in Memphis. Haven't been there yet though. There are a number of food trucks, one within walking distance, that do Mexican food very well. Haven't sampled the tamales. I'll probably make a small batch in the next week or so. 

OldHobo

OldHobo

1 hour ago, kayb said:

Don't know where to find them in Memphis...I would try a soul food place, maybe ask at Alcenia's on South Main or the Four Way Grill, whose address I disremember. Or you could head south to Helena, AR and visit the food truck in the parking lot if the Sears store on 49 N and get a batch of Pasquale's. Or go on down to Clarksdale, Miss., to Larry's or Abe's, or if you're staying on the west side of the river, my personal favorite, Rhoda's in Lake Village (get pie, too). If you go that far, do NOT fail to cross the river and have the tamales as an app for your steak at Doe's.

Thanks for the advice kayb. The local paper recently reported Larry's in Clarksdale closed but they reopened on N. Getwell in Memphis. Haven't been there yet though. There a number of food trucks, one within walking distance, that do Mexican food very well. Haven't sampled the tamales. I'll probably make a small batch in the next week or so.