• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Keeping a butter vinaigrette from solidifying

SNewman004

I've developed a very tasty vinaigrette with tequila and brown butter, but since my fat source is solid at room temp, the vinaigrette will also solidify. I know I can replace half with oil, but my question is how to maximize the brown butter flavor if I go that route. Thanks!

Most of the flavor in brown butter is in the milk solids. You can add powdered milk to butter before browning, and make a fairly large volume of tasty browned bits. (I recommend hitting them with an immersion blender after cooling to give a smooth texture.) You could then add the browned milk solids with a relatively small amount of butter to a vinaigrette made with a compatible oil. (maybe toasted hazelnut oil? or maybe something very neutral like grapeseed?)

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Lisa Shock said:

Most of the flavor in brown butter is in the milk solids. You can add powdered milk to butter before browning, and make a fairly large volume of tasty browned bits. (I recommend hitting them with an immersion blender after cooling to give a smooth texture.) You could then add the browned milk solids with a relatively small amount of butter to a vinaigrette made with a compatible oil. (maybe toasted hazelnut oil? or maybe something very neutral like grapeseed?)

Yes I thought of the powdered milk but didn't think about blending the solids. Thank you so much! I will try this!

• Like 1

I just thought of a solution that would eliminate the solid butter issue:

Make the brown butter with extra milk solids, strain through a fine strainer or several layers of cheesecloth, retaining the solids.

Place in a large bowl, at least twice as large as needed for the solids.

Add enough vinegar to cover the solids by at least an inch. Stir at room temperature for a few minutes. -The solids want to remain at the bottom, but, you want to wash them all with vinegar.

Refrigerate for a couple of hours. Remove any lumps of butter floating on the vinegar.

Puree and use as needed. OR Strain again, puree solids, and make dressing with fresh vinegar.

I have not done this. I am torn between suggesting using cheap white vinegar for the wash (and disposing of it) and, using the vinegar you intend to make the dressing with. With the cheap vinegar, you could keep a big container of 'pickled' solids in the fridge for quite some time at a low cost. Using the pricier vinegar has fewer steps and, perhaps the browned bits flavor the vinegar. But then, maybe you don't want browned bits flavored acid, maybe you want something fresh -then the draining (and perhaps use in another application) makes sense.