• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ceviche - best way to execute in restaurant kitchen?

SNewman004

I am consulting on a menu with a friend for a new concept, and even though I have made ceviche a few times with friends, I'm trying to figure out the best way to execute this dish to order. I have not decided yet on shrimp or fish, but I don't want it to be raw, or over-marinated and mushy. Any advice? Main flavors will be lime, jalapeno, cilantro.

Is the place dinner only, or lunch and dinner?

If it's dinner only, make small batches in anticipation of seating times. If the doors open at 6, make a small batch at 5, then a larger batch at 6 for the 7pm crowd, then small batches at 7 and 8.

Much can be pre-prepped and kept separate, like diced fresh chiles can be kept in a tub for up to 5 days in the walk-in. Cilantro can be minced in advance, and shrimp can be cleaned and stored by itself. IMO, the only part that needs to be done ala minute would be the lime juice.

Earlier in the day, I'd take 4 (or more depending on how many waves you want to make) half sheet pans and put small tubs and the serving bowl on them with all the ingredients pre-measured and ready to go, plus the number of limes needed. This way, even a server could grab a tray, squeeze the limes, and dump everything in a chilled bowl and put it back into the walk-in or in a cold display up front.

I'd also hype the dish on the menu as freshly made in limited quantities, urging guests to get it when offered because availability may be limited. I'd also get the servers to hype it a bit, whether it's a fresh batch ready to go, or golly, I'm sorry you just missed it.

• Like 3

To avoid over-marinated ceviche after add "leche de tigre" put in the freezer and slight frozen. A few minutes before serve defrost in ambient temperature.

Learning