• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Trying to make a Chicken Cacciatore recipe I ate 2 years ago in Long Island, New York

yentakaren

I have tried to make the Chicken Cacciatore 5 times; one time I came close to looking similar and tasting similar to the restaurant, but no "cigar".  I am just rewriting the recipe based upon the comments in this forum and then I will try it for the 6th time.  Of course I have cooked it.  Karen

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, yentakaren said:

I have tried to make the Chicken Cacciatore 5 times; one time I came close to looking similar and tasting similar to the restaurant, but no "cigar".  I am just rewriting the recipe based upon the comments in this forum and then I will try it for the 6th time.  Of course I have cooked it.  Karen

Well, it strikes me you are doing it back-to-front. Test it in the pan not on paper.

Cook it then write the recipe is more normal.

And while I'm here, I'll try one more time. What size is a meatball?

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Since it is an Italian type recipe, it's probably the size of an Italian meatball. Not too big and not too little unless its for Italian wedding soup, when it should be smaller , and it should be much bigger for penne testa di leoni unless you're using orzo which would make it a Greek recipe if you're using Greek size orzo because the Italian size orzo is too tiny for penne testa di leoni, and if  the Greeks had such a recipe only then it wouldn't be chicken cacciatore it would be chicken kynigos. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

"A fool", he said, "would have swallowed it". Samuel Johnson

Hi everyone that gave advice (especially you, Lisa)  and Anna - you were right on with not cutting the pieces - first try, the butcher cut them with a clever and there were a lot of slivers.  I returned them and had him not cut them at all- 

Thank you all so much!  I made the Chicken Cacciatore this morning.  I have to get going and start my day and get ready for a notary signing, but I just wanted to tell you.  I haven't tasted the chicken, but the sauce tastes and looks delicious.  I will probably have to dilute it when I go to reheat it- I went a little overboard, but it looks great.  Below I have attached a photo and the recipe that I rewrote.

Chicken cacciatore - 5-26-17 -.docx

• Like 3

You need to be super-careful when re-heating, so as to not get the meat too hot and overcook it. I'd avoid microwaving, and I would put it on the stove at a very low, if not THE lowest setting and let it gradually warm up. It just needs to get to 165°. That said, warmed-over is never as good as fresh.

4 hours ago, Lisa Shock said:

warmed-over is never as good as fresh.

Chicken cacciatore is one of the dishes I really love as leftovers. I am careful not to overcook, more for the veggies' sake, especially the green peppers, which make an appearance in my favorite recipe than the chicken. I love this dish, and am usually pretty indifferent to leftovers and feel put upon when I have to eat them to avoid waste. Not with this dish. :) I always cook up pasta fresh to serve with the leftovers. I mean it's dried pasta, but it is cooked up freshly.

I need to make this again, stat.

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

Thanks guys!  

I made it this morning because I just had to see if my recipe would be successful; and I believe it was.  

We ate a late breakfast/lunch and really weren't in the mood for something so "prepared"; so we have no choice but to warm it up or throw it out (Ouch - I could never throw it out).  I think I will let it sit to room temp and then warm it up like Lisa suggested.  So glad that Thanks for the Crepes liked it as leftovers -- gives me hope that it is just as good.

That being said, I might even wait for Sunday to eat it.  This should be very interesting with both of you having different experiences.

Karen

Hi Everyone - I used Lisa's way of heating up the Chicken Cacciatore and it was a big hit!!!  The sauce was fabulous!  I usually don't love my dishes as much as my guests, but I did with this one. Lisa, heating the Cacciatore the way you said was perfect.  Thank you again everyone.  I contributed to the site and now I am done until the next challenge in my repertoire of dishes that I need advice.  Karen

• Like 3