• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Avocados and avocado prices

rotuts

2 hours ago, dcarch said:

Interesting chart.

Interesting also that they did not point out that avocado pits can vary in sizes drastically.

dcarch

I would have thought that information is in

Normal avocados will have between 60-70% pulp yield.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

On 5/21/2017 at 6:09 PM, Dave the Cook said:

As for 4/$1 avocados, I can't recall having ever seen them that cheap.

Yeah, never—not even close.

Hass avocados are currently 3/$5.00 here.

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Here in Atlantic Canada, $1.69/ea is a pretty standard in-season price, though they'll sometimes be less (and cheaper again in bags of 3-5). Off-season price can often be $2.99/ea. 

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

• 3 months later...

I love avocados, but I haven't bought any in a couple years because so many of them were highly blemished internally—even if I both bought really good looking and feeling ones, which I always did. :S

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

On 8/28/2017 at 2:31 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Organic Hass avocados $1.99 at Whole Foods

Umbrella prices don't mean much when you live in a desert.  Considering that peak avocado season ended a couple months ago, any price at this point is meaningless.  If they can beat Shoprite and TJs avocado prices next January, then we'll talk.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

Yeah they have edged up at Food Lion from 99 cents to $1.29 for Hass. At Harris Teeter, they are always $1.99 each or over. I blame it on avocado toast. :P It's obscenely priced in restaurants, from what I read, but hasn't caught on around here, thank goodness. 

I wish it were the toast.  The toast can go in- and out of style.  But Chinese demand is here to stay- and they're not getting any poorer.  Next season is supposed to be more bountiful than this one, so hopefully prices will be a bit more sane, but as long as the rest of the world wants avocados, and can pay for them, I think the days of the cheap avocado (and cheap beef) are over.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

• 2 weeks later...

Price war!  Avocados at Shoprite dropped to $1.99 from $2.99 last week.  (Organic are still $2.99, however.)  Non-organic from amazon are $2.00 currently.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Visited WF this morning and right in the entry vestibule was a big pile o' Haas avocados for $1.49, they all looked ripe (or past ripe). I grabbed one for lunch. Non-organic bananas are still 49 cents/lb, but apples were really cheap (less than my local Shop Rite), conventional Fuji apples $1.78/lb. One of my co-workers who is a regular shopper confirmed that she noticed produce prices have come down.

• Like 3

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

10 hours ago, BeeZee said:

Visited WF this morning and right in the entry vestibule was a big pile o' Haas avocados for $1.49, they all looked ripe (or past ripe). I grabbed one for lunch. Non-organic bananas are still 49 cents/lb, but apples were really cheap (less than my local Shop Rite), conventional Fuji apples $1.78/lb. One of my co-workers who is a regular shopper confirmed that she noticed produce prices have come down.

I paid $1.99 at Shoprite but I must say they were good ones.  (In my experience Shoprite avocados are rather hit or miss.)

My bedroom has four amazon avocados ripening.

The one from Whole Foods was excellent. I bought one last night at $1.99 from SR also, didn't realize until I got home that it is Peruvian, so we shall see.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BeeZee said:

The one from Whole Foods was excellent. I bought one last night at $1.99 from SR also, didn't realize until I got home that it is Peruvian, so we shall see.

I had no idea Shoprite sold Peruvian avocados!  I thought they were from Mexico or California.  Which Shoprite do you patronize if I may ask?

One way or another the last two avocados I had from Shoprite were quite acceptable by my standards.

16 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I had no idea Shoprite sold Peruvian avocados!  I thought they were from Mexico or California.  Which Shoprite do you patronize if I may ask?

One way or another the last two avocados I had from Shoprite were quite acceptable by my standards.

Shop Rite Hamilton Marketplace (Route 130)- Mercer County. I just happened to look at the sticker as I was putting it into the fridge. Usually they are from Mexico.

1 hour ago, BeeZee said:

Shop Rite Hamilton Marketplace (Route 130)- Mercer County. I just happened to look at the sticker as I was putting it into the fridge. Usually they are from Mexico.

I use the Shoprite in Montgomery, the one I can walk to.  Avocados today were back up to $2.50 from $1.99 last week, however I forgot to look where they were from.  (Not that I always believe the listed country of origin.)

At the moment amazon avocados are listed at $2.49.  Or $3.99 -- I could scarcely believe it -- for extra large.

Can anyone report from Whole Foods?

Yesterday's paper reported that Mercer County is bidding on the new amazon headquarters location.  If they are selected I wonder if it will have an effect on local prices?  I understand in Seattle amazon hands out free bananas.  So much excitement.

• 3 months later...

This week organic avocados have been 3 for $5.00 at Shoprite.  Unfortunately in the bitter cold I have no appetite for avocados.  Besides, they'd freeze before I got them home.  Last week, or perhaps the week before, there were regular avocados for $0.99.  But all were past the point of no return.

On 5/23/2017 at 6:59 AM, Katie Meadow said:

Sushi may be partly to blame, but my money's on avocado toast. I've been checking out places to eat in Santa Monica and Venice. There isn't a restaurant in the area that doesn't serve avocado toast for breakfast and lunch. And it ain't cheap.

From LA via twitter:

DQfD3FEUEAAX7Sz.jpg

• Like 3

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

53 minutes ago, chileheadmike said:

Kroger is advertising 59 cent Haas now. 

Same as the Fry's (Kroger) stores here in southern AZ, though those tend to be smaller ones. The large ones are $1.25 or you can get four medium ones in a bag for $2.99 or $1.99 each for the large-ish organic ones. I can't remember the price at Trader Joe's but it's not usually outrageous. 

Just noticed that the local Sprouts stores have Mexican Hass avocados for 3 for $1 in this week's flyer. Maybe I need to make a visit! 

Edited by FauxPas
to add Sprouts store (log)
  • Like 1

I could be mis-remembering but I think a farmers market vendor told me about storing the avocados under just below freeze temps so it is possible the cheaper ones are from a prior harvest

• Like 1