• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

lindag

lindag

6 hours ago, andiesenji said:

I use a bread machine to mix and knead it on the dough cycle, remove it and pop it into a plastic bag and put it in the fridge for at least 24 hours, often longer - 2 to 3 days.  It is as close to foolproof as any "artisan" bread.

For a more complete list of possible additives and how they affect the dough,  there is this page on the Cookistry website.

Thanks for this, I want to try this just as you've described.

6 hours ago, andiesenji said:

For a more complete list of possible additives and how they affect the dough,  there is this page on the Cookistry website.

lindag

lindag

5 hours ago, andiesenji said:

I add the dry milk to the other dry ingredients and make sure it is mixed well with them.  

This explanation on this site is very good.  

Years ago I found a few recipes in Peter Reinhart's books that included milk powder.  One, The Bread Baker's Apprentice, has several, as I recall.  This is one I prepare often - I use a bread machine to mix and knead it on the dough cycle, remove it and pop it into a plastic bag and put it in the fridge for at least 24 hours, often longer - 2 to 3 days.  It is as close to foolproof as any "artisan" bread.

5 hours ago, andiesenji said: