• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pidgin or Lyle's?

I'll be in London the end of June for nearly 2 weeks, and during my birthday. Wanted to take 2 dear friends (Londoners) out for dinner and these 2 look really great and not crazy expensive. Which would you choose? I don't think I can go wrong but wanted opinions nonetheless. Also, any other small, quaint, cool, restaurants, music venues, sites, etc. would be greatly appreciated! Btw, I'm staying in Battersea (wanted to stay in Angel/Islington but couldn't find a flat), so any rec's there would be great too. Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...

As for choosing a place to eat at I would recommend the restaurantguru.com website. It has convenient search options (by address, nearest city attractions, venue type, cuisines), moreover it has visitors opinions gathered from all popular web services.

As for the two, you are asking about, I would choose none of them, for the atmosphere and decor first of all. But that's only my opinion... Probably, it's because I'am not a fan of Michelin restaurants, and their food... I prefer smth cosy, warm small places with intimate atmosphere, and with good portion of food on my husband's plate)))

As for a place to stay in, I used to search for a flat to rent on gumtree.com. Btw, as far  as I know, the rent payment in Islington is higher than in Battersea.

Good stay and happy eating!)))