• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

San Diego - Cohn Restaurant Group to open non-profit eatery

Toliver

The article:

"Taco stand: Cohns' latest is 100% for charity"

Libertad Tacos a la Brasa in Hillcrest will be the Cohn Restaurant Group’s 26th restaurant — and the first that’s a not-for-profit, with 100 percent of its proceeds going to charity.

Each month, a local organization will be designated by an advisory board to receive the net profits made at the small shop on University Avenue, with a guaranteed minimum of $3,000.

Libertad is believed to be the only eatery of its kind in San Diego and just one of a handful like it in the United States. The national trendlet, which can be traced to the 2013 opening of the craft brew-centric Oregon Public House in Portland, has given rise to such requisite clever mash-ups as “philanthro-pub” and “ale-truism.”

I like most of their restaurants. Some are quite upscale, some not so much.

And I was a huge fan of their Dakota's  restaurant (now closed) in the Gaslamp District of downtown San Diego.

I am hoping this new venue is successful. It's certainly is in a prime location (though parking is an issue in that area).

Here's another article discussing the new venue and its then, for-profit next-door-neighbor (not mentioned in the first article...which may have been dropped by the Cohns since the article was first published):

"Cohn Restaurant Group To Install BO-Beau Incarnation & Upscale Taco Shop In Hillcrest"

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver